Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source says that teams most interested in #Brewers' Greinke are #Rangers, #Angels, #Braves, #WhiteSox. MORE

Source continues: #Nationals did not scout #Brewers' Greinke last night; appear on periphery at best. #WhiteSox want Greinke badly.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love it, however all those teams listed could offer a better package if minor league players in their sleep then us. But if were willing to trade Floyd and perhaps Beckham or another player off the roster we may have a chance. Arguably the three other teams mentioned are in the top 5 systems in baseball. Get er' done Kenny!!

I would love Greinke if the price is right. Definitely not worth emptying the farm system for a 2 month rental especially with the new rules regarding comp picks. Is their some bad history between Greinke and A.J. I thought I heard they don't get along.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
I would love it, however all those teams listed could offer a better package if minor league players in their sleep then us. But if were willing to trade Floyd and perhaps Beckham or another player off the roster we may have a chance. Arguably the three other teams mentioned are in the top 5 systems in baseball. Get er' done Kenny!!

What they COULD offer is irrelevant. No one is going to go throwing around multiple high end prospects for 2 months of Greinke.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
Damn, you beat me to it. This scares me. I hope Kenny doesn't throw a flurry of prospects at the Brewers for a rental. I want Grienke, but the cost scares me.

it scares me too, because as ive said plenty of times, it just doesnt seem at all that greinke would want to be here or stay here. sure id love to have him but hopefully kw isnt thinking of him as a rental and gives up a lot. hopefully its with him knowing if he could resign him and how much greinke seems to want(no way he gets near what hamels got, especially with teams like ny and bos not wanting him)

Damn, you beat me to it. This scares me. I hope Kenny doesn't throw a flurry of prospects at the Brewers for a rental. I want Grienke, but the cost scares me.

F*ck it. Throw them at him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
What they COULD offer is irrelevant. No one is going to go throwing around multiple high end prospects for 2 months of Greinke.

I disagree, the price on starting pitching is at a premium. It's arguably the most sought after asset before the deadline. Dempster is a rental and the Braves were giving up Delgado. 2 months or not, LA, Texas, Atl all have money to offer him an extension or atleast think they would have a good shot. They also have deep system so giving up a few guys in the minors doesn't affect them like it does us. I guess well see, Rosthenthal is a pretty solid insider and he wrote a piece about the Floyd going to the Jays for a prospect to be swung back to MiL for ZG. That may have some legs since he was on that a few days ago.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
Ahhh, fack....

"Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien

Greinke in June: "This is probably the one park I don’t really like pitching in. I never feel real comfortable pitching here.""

yea i mentioned that a few times already lol he thinks the cell is "dark or something" lol

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
I disagree, the price on starting pitching is at a premium. It's arguably the most sought after asset before the deadline. Dempster is a rental and the Braves were giving up Delgado. 2 months or not, LA, Texas, Atl all have money to offer him an extension or atleast think they would have a good shot. They also have deep system so giving up a few guys in the minors doesn't affect them like it does us. I guess well see, Rosthenthal is a pretty solid insider and he wrote a piece about the Floyd going to the Jays for a prospect to be swung back to MiL for ZG. That may have some legs since he was on that a few days ago.

Yeah, but also consider there is Dempster, Garza, Grienke, Liriano, and Johnson all on the block right now who are big additions. Then you add in other quality starters who are available, and you actually have a pretty deep pitching market for the next week IMO.

Ahhh, fack....

Greinke in June: "This is probably the one park I don’t really like pitching in. I never feel real comfortable pitching here.""

Certainly not something encouraging to read

Let's be honest here, is there anyone in the system that you wouldn't trade right now? Keep in mind that you can't trade 2012 picks so any excitement about Hawkins or Barnum is irrelevant here. That leaves Castro, Hernandez, Molina, Mitchell, Thompson, Walker, Sanchez. Anyone in that group you'd really be sad about losing?

Ahhh, fack....

here it is, the whole quote:

"This is probably the one park I don't really like pitching in," Greinke said. "It's kind of dark in the stadium, it seems like. But today I pitched good, so I'll take it. But I have always had trouble here. I don't know what it is. It's just different."

really odd guy lol

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
Let's be honest here, is there anyone in the system that you wouldn't trade right now? Keep in mind that you can't trade 2012 picks so any excitement about Hawkins or Barnum is irrelevant here. That leaves Castro, Hernandez, Molina, Mitchell, Thompson, Walker, Sanchez. Anyone in that group you'd really be sad about losing?

Unless the CBA changed it, you can still trade a 2012 draftee as a PTBNL.

And it's not any 1 player, it's the likely package.

Would you give up Thompson, Walker, Sanchez, and Molina for 2 months of Greinke, if that's the price?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)

Exactly.

The guys I'm most excited about are guys we just drafted and they're not going anywhere...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
Unless the CBA changed it, you can still trade a 2012 draftee as a PTBNL.

And it's not any 1 player, it's the likely package.

Would you give up Thompson, Walker, Sanchez, and Molina for 2 months of Greinke, if that's the price?

I'm pretty sure there is a period of time that a PTBNL has to be named, and it seems like it is something like 90 days. Anyone have a better recollection?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
I'm pretty sure there is a period of time that a PTBNL has to be named, and it seems like it is something like 90 days. Anyone have a better recollection?

I thought it was something like 90 days or 30 days to agree upon a list of eligible players, and then you had until sometime in the offseason to make your selection. I'll google it.

EDIT: Google says the deal must close within 6 months of the trade occuring. Which means by end of January, 2013. A 2012 draftee would have to be eligible by then, right?

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
I thought it was something like 90 days or 30 days to agree upon a list of eligible players, and then you had until sometime in the offseason to make your selection. I'll google it.

I found on wiki that a deal has to be closed in six months. That means you can PTBNL a 2012 draftee until about Christmas.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Jim Bowden's new ESPN Insider article.....

"If I had to rank the suitors in the order of the likelihood they get Greinke, it would go like this:

1. Rangers

2. Angels

3. Braves

4. Nationals

5. Blue Jays

6. Dodgers

7. Orioles "

White Sox at 0 I see.