Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
I am looking for honeymoon locations out west (Montana and Wyoming, ideally). Anyone have experience with any of the towns there?

Whitefish is a cool town, and it's right outside of Glacier National Park if that's your sort of thing (assuming it is, why else go to Wyoming and Montana for a honeymoon?)

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
Whitefish is a cool town, and it's right outside of Glacier National Park if that's your sort of thing (assuming it is, why else go to Wyoming and Montana for a honeymoon?)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Know it a lot (Geologist). Elaborate about what you want to do?

Looking for non-traditional Honeymoon away from a hot beach where we can be outside, hike, check out national parks, horseback ride, etc. Tough part is how expensive the all-inclusive places are, which is what we ideally ant. We saw some from $1,000 a person per night, which we just cannot afford. Any ideas off of that?

I'll look into Whitefish.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 06:57 AM)
Looking for non-traditional Honeymoon away from a hot beach where we can be outside, hike, check out national parks, horseback ride, etc. Tough part is how expensive the all-inclusive places are, which is what we ideally ant. We saw some from $1,000 a person per night, which we just cannot afford. Any ideas off of that?

I'll look into Whitefish.

Sun Valley/Ketchum, Idaho is a pretty sweet little town, with lots of outdoor activites, although it may range on the higher end of the price spectrum, depending what you can find.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
I am looking for honeymoon locations out west (Montana and Wyoming, ideally). Anyone have experience with any of the towns there?

We had a family reunion at a resort in SW Montana that was really fun. Cabins, but nice ones. Excellent food. Tons of activities - hiking, fly fishing, horseback, rafting, day trips to Yellowstone, etc. And shuttles to and from the Bozeman airport. Called Lone Mountain Guest Ranch, in Big Sky. Recommended.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Also, if you live in the Chicago area, you can actually take a train directly to Glacier National Park. There are resorts in the park, and endless hiking opportunities and scenery. The Amtrak leaves Union Station (or Glenview) daily, you can get a cabin room for the overnight trip.

Woah that's cool, I'll keep this one in mind for a future trip.

Finally booked my next trip to Europe in September:

Frankfurt

Bucharest

Athens

Santorini

Positano area

Venice

Munich (Oktoberfest)

Luxembourg

3 weeks total, would love to spend more time in some of the spots (only 2 nights on Santorini) but man I am so pumped for this.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)

Frankfurt

Bucharest

Athens

Santorini

Positano area

Venice

Munich (Oktoberfest)

Luxembourg

3 weeks total, would love to spend more time in some of the spots (only 2 nights on Santorini) but man I am so pumped for this.

Have you booked all of your hotels and train tickets/flights? It looks like you're going from Greece to Positano then on to Venice. I would highly suggest thinking about stopping in Tuscany for a night or two, even if it comes at the expense of Venice. We spent three weeks in Europe (Rome, Tuscany, Milan, Antibes, Paris, Iceland) this past summer and our time in Tuscany was a major highlight. It's so beautiful and relaxing, the wine is superb and we already want to go back for longer. Venice, from prior experience and from friends, is kind of a disappointment. Just a suggestion, but that trip sounds awesome.

We wanted to go back this summer (Germany/Switzerland/Austria) but we just bought a house so I think we're just gonna do a quick trip to Ireland since it'll be much cheaper and we've never been there either yet.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)

Frankfurt

Bucharest

Athens

Santorini

Positano area

Venice

Munich (Oktoberfest)

Luxembourg

Jeez, now you are just rubbing it in. :P

Oh, to be in my 20s without any responsibility again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Also, if you live in the Chicago area, you can actually take a train directly to Glacier National Park. There are resorts in the park, and endless hiking opportunities and scenery. The Amtrak leaves Union Station (or Glenview) daily, you can get a cabin room for the overnight trip.

To add to this, there are all inclusives that will pick you up after the Amtrak drops you off.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
Have you booked all of your hotels and train tickets/flights? It looks like you're going from Greece to Positano then on to Venice. I would highly suggest thinking about stopping in Tuscany for a night or two, even if it comes at the expense of Venice. We spent three weeks in Europe (Rome, Tuscany, Milan, Antibes, Paris, Iceland) this past summer and our time in Tuscany was a major highlight. It's so beautiful and relaxing, the wine is superb and we already want to go back for longer. Venice, from prior experience and from friends, is kind of a disappointment. Just a suggestion, but that trip sounds awesome.

We wanted to go back this summer (Germany/Switzerland/Austria) but we just bought a house so I think we're just gonna do a quick trip to Ireland since it'll be much cheaper and we've never been there either yet.

We'll be going from Santorini to Naples/Positano area in one day, early flight from Santorini to Athens, Athens to Rome, Rome to Naples. Kind of a pain but it's cheap still and we'll still land around 4pm in Naples.

We added in Santorini as a recommendation from a friend, we only gave ourselves 2 nights there and I wish we took one of the 5 nights from Munich and put it there. We were going to go from Naples to Budapest but cut out Budapest since it was hard to get in/out of and placed an extra night in Positano and added Venice. Venice we felt we could do easily in 2 nights and we wanted to see more of Italy (I've been to Italy but it was in high school so wanted to re-see some places). Most of the group has seen Rome and Florence before as well so Venice made sense especially with a cheap/short flight into Munich for Oktoberfest.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Jeez, now you are just rubbing it in. :P

Oh, to be in my 20s without any responsibility again.

We're trying to take advantage while we can, I backpacked with a friend back in college for 5 weeks in Europe and now he's living in Lux with his gf so we knew we would get another trip out there. Technically 4th time out to Europe, only places I've or will see for a 2nd time are: Venice, Edinburgh (but that was just so I could go to the western isles for a whiskey tour) and Bruges

My total list of Europe destinations will be:

Scotland - Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Islay

London

Dublin

Cork

Amsterdam

Rotterdam

Brussels

Bruges

Ghent

Paris

Berlin

Frankfurt

Munich

Krakow

Vienna

Prague

Bucharest

Zurich

Athens

Santorini

Venice

Rome

Florence

Naples - Capri, Positano

Barcelona

Madrid

Marrakech

Lisbon

Luxembourg

And there are still places I want to go to! I may change my next big trip to Asia though, would love to see some places out there as well.

I figure I should see as much outside the US as I can now, then when I get tied down by family stuff later I'll explore more in the US.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
Need to get Visa at Chinese Embassy this week. Anyone been to do the same? Any tips?

I just mailed mine and didn't really have any issues. From what I remember (its been a few years), the process was way faster than I expected (part of that might have been they had ramped up their department in anticipation of the world fair...which was when I got my work visa to go there).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
There is an embassy 2 blocks away. I have passport pictures and have printed out computer typed application.

When I got my Chinese Visa in Chicago about 2-3 years ago they needed a copy of your round trip tickets and proof of where you were staying for the entire trip. They actually shot down most of the people who were there for a visa because they didnt have the right paperwork. We had everything we needed and it ended up being fairly painless, picked up the visa's in four days I believe.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
When I got my Chinese Visa in Chicago about 2-3 years ago they needed a copy of your round trip tickets and proof of where you were staying for the entire trip. They actually shot down most of the people who were there for a visa because they didnt have the right paperwork. We had everything we needed and it ended up being fairly painless, picked up the visa's in four days I believe.

Yeah, this is where I'm worried about a screw up. We have 3-4 cities we are in in China. Some we are staying at a friends, so we booked a hotel we plan to cancel. It's a lot of paperwork to have, and we are also flying out from a diff airport we are flying into. I do NOT want to go 3-4 times due to missing paper work.

It sounds like they have gotten much faster though, which is great.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
Yeah, this is where I'm worried about a screw up. We have 3-4 cities we are in in China. Some we are staying at a friends, so we booked a hotel we plan to cancel. It's a lot of paperwork to have, and we are also flying out from a diff airport we are flying into. I do NOT want to go 3-4 times due to missing paper work.

It sounds like they have gotten much faster though, which is great.

Ya the process is pretty quick if you have all of the paper work. All we brought for hotel info was printed out confirmation emails from a hotel we booked online and they said it was fine.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
Sun Valley/Ketchum, Idaho is a pretty sweet little town, with lots of outdoor activites, although it may range on the higher end of the price spectrum, depending what you can find.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
We had a family reunion at a resort in SW Montana that was really fun. Cabins, but nice ones. Excellent food. Tons of activities - hiking, fly fishing, horseback, rafting, day trips to Yellowstone, etc. And shuttles to and from the Bozeman airport. Called Lone Mountain Guest Ranch, in Big Sky. Recommended.

Adding to the list of places to check out. Much thanks!

Okay, made the submission for a Visa successfully.

Some tips - the form on the Chicago Chinese embassy site is WRONG, go to the national Chinese embassy site

- As my wife and I were going together, we only printed one set of our flight/hotel info. They luckily had a copy machine there.

We pick up on wednesday thouhg, and the embassy was very fast. Overall a pretty good experience, better than Brazil's.