Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 12:49 AM)
If anyone lives in the L.A area, I'm trying to move out to the area for an internship and wanted to speak to someone about living in the area.

I spent 6.5 years there, Chisoxfn lives there now.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Which Michigan breweries do I need to visit? Founders and Bell's are my musts - any other ones?

There are sites with lists.

My friend from high school runs White Flame Brewery in Hudsonville.

They have very good reviews online.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
Let me know if you want any other recommendations for Louisville.

Definitely wouldn't hurt. Don't have a lot of time there, but if there is anything to check out, I'll be happy to learn about it. I wanted to do the underground cave zipline, but can't do it this time and am going to plan for it next time (my gf has a friend who lives down there so I imagine this to be a pretty consistent trip)

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
I heading to Louisville and Nashville at the end of July. Going to tour a couple bourbon distilleries and then hit up Nashville. I've been to Nashville several times, but wanted to see if there is anything I should do down there that I haven't already. I've been to Bluebird Cafe (and may go again this time). Also been to most bars on the strip. Anything I am missing? Specifically looking for BBQ restaurants, but anything else to check out would be appreciated as well.

Edley's Bar-B-Que in Nashville is really good. I've only been to the location in East Nashville (right across the river), but I'm pretty sure there's another one too.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
I heading to Louisville and Nashville at the end of July. Going to tour a couple bourbon distilleries and then hit up Nashville. I've been to Nashville several times, but wanted to see if there is anything I should do down there that I haven't already. I've been to Bluebird Cafe (and may go again this time). Also been to most bars on the strip. Anything I am missing? Specifically looking for BBQ restaurants, but anything else to check out would be appreciated as well.

Speaking of Nashville, has anyone ever gone into the American Pickers' stores? I watch the show regularly, and I am curious if one is worth the trip if I am in the area.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Speaking of Nashville, has anyone ever gone into the American Pickers' stores? I watch the show regularly, and I am curious if one is worth the trip if I am in the area.

I've gone by the Iowa one. It's a tourist trap with overpriced stuff and trinkets.

Pretty much what you'd expect.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
Edley's Bar-B-Que in Nashville is really good. I've only been to the location in East Nashville (right across the river), but I'm pretty sure there's another one too.

Loveless Cafe is just awesome, even if it is touristy

City House has an amazing Belly Ham pizza with a fried egg on it...I was talked into it as I am a pizza snob like most Chicagoans and it's just awesome.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Loveless Cafe is just awesome, even if it is touristy

City House has an amazing Belly Ham pizza with a fried egg on it...I was talked into it as I am a pizza snob like most Chicagoans and it's just awesome.

For sure. My ex-girlfriend's cousin is the owner/chef of City House. We used to eat there all the time. Some amazing food.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
City Museum in St. Louis is just about the coolest place on earth

It was so much fun when I was in middle school. It is still really cool but I went there a couple years ago with younger cousins and I couldn't do anything lol. But if you have kids it is must when in St. Louis

Any Lahaina, Maui experts out there? Near or on Kaanapali Beach? I need to find a nice house to rent with 3 bedrooms for the thursday before thanksgiving through thanksgiving. Has anybody tried ABandB? Anybody know of a hotel for about 150 a night max that isn't a dump?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 07:03 PM)
Anything I should check out?

Probably the most laid-back vacation I ever did. Couple really delightful places to eat, spent a whole lot of time on the beach and at the pool, tons of seafood, few nice bars in the area but I also had to drive.

Let's see, head to Pensacola for a day, really nice walkable downtown, the ballpark looked great but it was out of season when I went. Would have loved to catch a Pensacola game if it was in season. First place I caught a "World of Beer" and am thrilled about those every time I track one down.

See if there's anything going on in the city event-wise, I caught a seafood festival that I really enjoyed.

There's also some sorts of tours available at the air force base but I didn't go to that. Some stuff with the blue angels I think.

At the border of Florida and Alabama there appeared to be some really nice nightlife, bar name at the spot was named "Florabama". Driving distance to Orange Beach. Couldn't go because only I drive & I woudln't have stayed sober.

Closer to Orange Beach, things you shouldn't miss:

"The Gulf". Fried fish restaurant right on the beach built out of shipping containers. It's as delightful as it sounds.

Cobalt - really nice restaurant, right on docks, nice "nice" dinner.

Tacky Jack's - food wasn't spectacular, solid margarita, kind of one of those "fun touristy places".

Cosmo's was an ok fish place, I wasn't as impressed by food as I wanted to be, but the place was really nice. Outdoor bar, lots of shopping built in, lots of different things to do.

Many of the other places are touristy but they're not bad. There was a BBQ/fried fish place right across the street from my Hotel (Holiday Inn Express), it wasn't bad at all, nothing I'd rave on yelp about but sat there watching a playoff game and enjoyed. I think that place was Bubbas. Wintzell's oyster house down the road probably worth trying also

In a strip mall near the walmart we found a nice iced cream place. Don't hesitate to buy beer or other wares at the walmart rather than at bars. Stock up on snacks, etc. If you're as much of an alcoholic as me (sarcasm but not totally) figure out ways to have some available so you can drive when needed while still sober.

Waste some time at the Beach souvenir stores, because why not.

If you drive to the west, there's a really nice, big park with a huge pier between Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. IIRC the Pier had fishing options, you could get yourself in a boat there, but plan ahead if you want to do something that takes a few hours, we weren't up for it by the time we went. Probably some hiking available there as well. Gulf State Park I think?

On the beach there are plenty of chairs, umbrellas, etc, but you'll pay like $10 for 2 hours or something like that, there are guys who drive up and down the beach and rent them. I grabbed a couple hours on one just to relax but mostly bounced between the pool and the beach walking & such otherwise. Your call how much you like those.

To the north there is something called "The Wharf" that is a huge quasi-shopping/restaurant/outdoor mall facility. We were there late in the season and it was 100% dead. However, a few weeks beforehand Dave Matthews Band had played there, that size of venue. Check for some event and that's probably a huge thing. Look in advance at the restaurant and shopping lists there, don't go there unless you have a specific plan or you know something is going on because could be dead.

If you head towards Foley there is an outlet mall but you'll pay through the A** for the tolls on the Foley beach parkway. I think I paid as much for that as I did for bridges in the New York area.

Plenty of boating or kayaking options in the bays behind the ocean. Probably parasailing and helicopter options over the ocean. I didn't do those so can't recommend anyone, but do remember there was a neat little island or two in the estuary you could have kayaked to, maybe even brought a picnic lunch.

Anything to ask about? Thats kind of my list of memories.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
Probably the most laid-back vacation I ever did. Couple really delightful places to eat, spent a whole lot of time on the beach and at the pool, tons of seafood, few nice bars in the area but I also had to drive.

Let's see, head to Pensacola for a day, really nice walkable downtown, the ballpark looked great but it was out of season when I went. Would have loved to catch a Pensacola game if it was in season. First place I caught a "World of Beer" and am thrilled about those every time I track one down.

See if there's anything going on in the city event-wise, I caught a seafood festival that I really enjoyed.

There's also some sorts of tours available at the air force base but I didn't go to that. Some stuff with the blue angels I think.

At the border of Florida and Alabama there appeared to be some really nice nightlife, bar name at the spot was named "Florabama". Driving distance to Orange Beach. Couldn't go because only I drive & I woudln't have stayed sober.

Closer to Orange Beach, things you shouldn't miss:

"The Gulf". Fried fish restaurant right on the beach built out of shipping containers. It's as delightful as it sounds.

Cobalt - really nice restaurant, right on docks, nice "nice" dinner.

Tacky Jack's - food wasn't spectacular, solid margarita, kind of one of those "fun touristy places".

Cosmo's was an ok fish place, I wasn't as impressed by food as I wanted to be, but the place was really nice. Outdoor bar, lots of shopping built in, lots of different things to do.

Many of the other places are touristy but they're not bad. There was a BBQ/fried fish place right across the street from my Hotel (Holiday Inn Express), it wasn't bad at all, nothing I'd rave on yelp about but sat there watching a playoff game and enjoyed. I think that place was Bubbas. Wintzell's oyster house down the road probably worth trying also

In a strip mall near the walmart we found a nice iced cream place. Don't hesitate to buy beer or other wares at the walmart rather than at bars. Stock up on snacks, etc. If you're as much of an alcoholic as me (sarcasm but not totally) figure out ways to have some available so you can drive when needed while still sober.

Waste some time at the Beach souvenir stores, because why not.

If you drive to the west, there's a really nice, big park with a huge pier between Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. IIRC the Pier had fishing options, you could get yourself in a boat there, but plan ahead if you want to do something that takes a few hours, we weren't up for it by the time we went. Probably some hiking available there as well. Gulf State Park I think?

On the beach there are plenty of chairs, umbrellas, etc, but you'll pay like $10 for 2 hours or something like that, there are guys who drive up and down the beach and rent them. I grabbed a couple hours on one just to relax but mostly bounced between the pool and the beach walking & such otherwise. Your call how much you like those.

To the north there is something called "The Wharf" that is a huge quasi-shopping/restaurant/outdoor mall facility. We were there late in the season and it was 100% dead. However, a few weeks beforehand Dave Matthews Band had played there, that size of venue. Check for some event and that's probably a huge thing. Look in advance at the restaurant and shopping lists there, don't go there unless you have a specific plan or you know something is going on because could be dead.

If you head towards Foley there is an outlet mall but you'll pay through the A** for the tolls on the Foley beach parkway. I think I paid as much for that as I did for bridges in the New York area.

Plenty of boating or kayaking options in the bays behind the ocean. Probably parasailing and helicopter options over the ocean. I didn't do those so can't recommend anyone, but do remember there was a neat little island or two in the estuary you could have kayaked to, maybe even brought a picnic lunch.

Anything to ask about? Thats kind of my list of memories.

Wow, thank you for all those suggestions. We are going on a huge family trip (20+ people) so these are some ideas I will relay to everyone else that I am sure some will want to do. We have a huge house right by the beach so I am sure most of our time will be spent at our pool and on the beach lol. But I want to venture out and actually do some other stuff. I appreciate it, I will refer back to this when we are down there.