Chris Sale Cy Young Watch

shago

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
I was just pointing out a guy who was able to reach back and throw harder as the game went on, which isn't all that rare.

If you had to go back 20 years to find one, I would argue that makes it pretty rare. The only other guy I can think of from now is CC Sabathia. Who else is there?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
So what? That wasn't part of the criteria. Look at me. I'm watching those goalposts move. They started at Caufields lifetime, went to to the last 20 years and, now, active pitchers. :lolhitting

Even so, you got six out of the last 20 years. That is 6 out of thousands. I'd still call that rare, sport.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Yeah, there's that.

Although, to be fair, he never gets thought of as a "winning pitcher."

When you think of all the arms in history you'd want for the 7th game of the World Series, would you even put him into your Top 10 possibilities?

He wasn't. He was a guy who had great stuff but was far too inconsistent. He was great one start and awful the next. He could throw a no-hitter one game then walk 9 the next.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
Even so, you got six out of the last 20 years. That is 6 out of thousands. I'd still call that rare, sport.

Those guys were just the top tier, plenty of guys improved later they went just weren't all that great like verlander or the previously mentioned.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
He wasn't. He was a guy who had great stuff but was far too inconsistent. He was great one start and awful the next. He could throw a no-hitter one game then walk 9 the next.

He got a lot more consistent as he got older. His walk totals really dropped as he aged, which is when the wins started coming. His walk rates fell by about half during his career, and his K rates stayed pretty similar. I wouldn't have wanted the 1970's Ryan starting for me in the World Series game 7, but the 80's version should could have.

He also played on some pretty bad teams along the way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
He got a lot more consistent as he got older. His walk totals really dropped as he aged, which is when the wins started coming. His walk rates fell by about half during his career, and his K rates stayed pretty similar. I wouldn't have wanted the 1970's Ryan starting for me in the World Series game 7, but the 80's version should could have.

He also played on some pretty bad teams along the way.

True, he did become a better pitcher after 10 years in the league but for his career his average season was a 14-12 record and he was really never even considered for a Cy Young. As stated, he really wasn't a winning pitcher. Great and dominating stuff but not necessarily a pitcher.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
True, he did become a better pitcher after 10 years in the league but for his career his average season was a 14-12 record and he was really never even considered for a Cy Young. As stated, he really wasn't a winning pitcher. Great and dominating stuff but not necessarily a pitcher.

His career is just a great example of why W/L record should not be that important of a stat for a pitcher. Take his 1987 season, he went 8-16 with 2.76 ERA. That's not exactly his fault, he just played on a lot of really bad teams. Had he played for the Yankees in the late '70s or the A's in the late '80s who knows how many more wins he would have and I guarantee you at least a couple Cy Youngs. He has the lowest hits/9 innings of any pitcher in the history of the game. Bottom line is, I'll put a guy with 7 no hitters, 12 one hitters and 18 two hitters on the mound any day of the week against any team.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa