Bowden/Law/Olney rank Sox 21st in Future Power Ratings

caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:24 AM)
People, it's obvious Law was wrong about Sale. But he doesn't pick on the White Sox. When was the last time the Sox hit on a first round pick? I didn't even have hair on my nuts last time that happened before Sale. The criticism, mostly, of the Sox drafting pedigree and overall system is justified.

The problem comes in when he starts deliberately finding fault with players the White Sox draft for that reason alone, which, one can seemingly begin making a case for in the last few drafts...

What people need to remember about law is that he is a numbers guy not a scouting guy. He does the math and tried to make the Blue Jays better with years of stats on players. He had very little to do with scouting minor leaguers and potential draft picks. Scouting players is simply not his expertise and should always be taken with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 12:21 AM)
LOL. I was going to shoot him a tweet saying "Chris Sale's slider still rated a 40? Or did he finally reach that future 45 you gave him? #YoureAJoke"

But then I realized Keith Law BLOCKED ME ON TWITTER. LOL. I honestly can't even remember what I had tweeted to him before, but obviously it was bad enough that he took the time to block me, and that he actually read what I tweeted him, and it pissed him off. That's awesome.

Remember, he only gets to make people look bad, not the other way around.

People, it's obvious Law was wrong about Sale. But he doesn't pick on the White Sox. When was the last time the Sox hit on a first round pick? I didn't even have hair on my nuts last time that happened before Sale. The criticism, mostly, of the Sox drafting pedigree and overall system is justified.

There is no doubt in my mind that why what you say about the Sox drafts is true, Law would have at least a slightly more optimistic view of the player the Sox draft if he were drafted by another team. There is no doubt in my mind he has something against the White Sox. He'll occassionally throw a minor compliment their way, very minor, probably in an effort to come across as partial, but I don't think there is any way he's partial when it comes to the White Sox.

As to the rankings...........who really cares? I wonder what the same rankings would have looked like in 2001 or 2005 or 2009. I bet the Sox were behind teams like KC.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
That's true...if you look at all those pitchers who come straight over the top, most of them succumb to injury sooner or later.

PTAC might be able to support this, but I remember reading once where the shoulder is not meant to take the strain of that motion and that pitching from a 75 degree angle, parallel to the ground or Bradford-style is actually healthier for the shoulder and elbow, ceteris paribus.

His arm slot was never an issue. I'm not sure why Schilling even mentioned it other tham to talk about a good pitcher. LHP typically do have a lower arm slot than RHP.

The issue with Sale is how he gets there. He really flexes his elbow then quickly whips his shoulder into external rotation. Then he needs to quickly extend his elbow to get it in a good position. The issue was and will be can he continue to do all of this motion in the really short period of time, especially when fatigued. If he can't do all of this he will begin to put a great deal of stress on either his shoulder or elbow. If his case my guess would be the elbow. Hopefully, he really continues to work on conditioning and he can keep the majority of the stress on his lower extremities and spine where it should be.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
Apparently Magglio, C-Lee, Joe Crede and Aaron Rowand don't count on his list.

Not to mention Michael Morse and Chris Carter.

No doubt, Konerko/Dunn/AJP/Rios is an older core...Alexei's been slipping in the power department as well.

That's why Viciedo is so important, as well as DeAza and Trayce Thompson/Hawkins/Barnum eventually.

Except all the guys you named (minus Carter) were quite a long time ago.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:49 PM)
Someone should ask KLaw what he thinks about Sale starting now....

Ugh the White Sox fandom collective butthurt over Keith Law is getting old and really embarrassing.

I for one am shocked that a man, who's job it is to offer opinions on projecting players is wrong every once in a while.

Seriously sox fans, if you want to drink the farm system kool aid, there are places for that. Don't get upset when the adults tell you things you don't want to hear.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
Only because they went ALL the way back to Durham and 1990 and skipped the late 90's for some reason.

For the record I didn't read the article (I have insider, link isn't working for me...says I'm restricted even when I'm logged in)

My bad if I missed that point.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
Ugh the White Sox fandom collective butthurt over Keith Law is getting old and really embarrassing.

I for one am shocked that a man, who's job it is to offer opinions on projecting players is wrong every once in a while.

Seriously sox fans, if you want to drink the farm system kool aid, there are places for that. Don't get upset when the adults tell you things you don't want to hear.

So is the vendetta by Law against a single franchise (see Joe Cowley versus Toronto/Canada) simply because of bitterness about the Mike Sirotka deal and hate/dislike for KW.

Both are probably equally bad. But he's paid to give a professional opinion...and his opinion is obviously colored and biased. Sox message boards are ruled by emotion/s and sometimes reason, but you can't compare the two forms of media.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 10:49 PM)
So is the vendetta by Law against a single franchise (see Joe Cowley versus Toronto/Canada) simply because of bitterness about the Mike Sirotka deal and hate/dislike for KW.

Both are probably equally bad. But he's paid to give a professional opinion...and his opinion is obviously colored and biased. Sox message boards are ruled by emotion/s and sometimes reason, but you can't compare the two forms of media.

Heh I love the this talking point. Except it really isn't true. And before we go "b-b-b-but the Wells trade!!!" KLaw wasn't even in Toronto when that deal went down. This has been proven. And frankly, all the terrible things Law says about the Sox system, he's been pretty much spot on since he started as ESPN. Oh and he was really high on Beckham too.

Further, why would someone who is paid to give their professional opinion, risk their professional reputation on some petty (non-existent) grudge?

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
Heh I love the this talking point. Except it really isn't true. And before we go "b-b-b-but the Wells trade!!!" KLaw wasn't even in Toronto when that deal went down. This has been proven. And frankly, all the terrible things Law says about the Sox system, he's been pretty much spot on since he started as ESPN. Oh and he was really high on Beckham too.

Further, why would someone who is paid to give their professional opinion, risk their professional reputation on some petty (non-existent) grudge?

Mike (NJ) [via mobile]

Keith, what are your thoughts on Chris Sale?

Klaw

(1:25 PM)

I ranked him 47th. The White Sox took him 13th. You do the math.

Maybe there's a reason Keith Law is at ESPN and not making actual decisions.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)
Mike (NJ) [via mobile]

Klaw

See:

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)

Does Soxtalk hate Goldstein too? He also says mean things about the White Sox.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
See:

Does Soxtalk hate Goldstein too? He also says mean things about the White Sox.

Goldstein will at least say something nice when its obvious about the Sox, and if he does project something that is wrong, unlike Law, he will admit it.

I understand the Sox farm system has sucked and has sucked for a while, but you know who else sucks? Keith Law sucks. In another chat a Tigers fan asked him about the Tigers taking Trout with the ninth pick. Law called that a "reach".

I can say every prospect in the minor leagues sucks and I will be correct a vast majority of the time.

What exactly has Keith Law projected in his 6 years at ESPN that is any better than a projection from some guy who watches minor leaguers here? The guy is a tool who, whether you like it or not, holds some sort of grudge against the White Sox.

And if you go back and look at who he praises before drafts, if he were actually making decisions on who to draft, the Sox farm system wouldn't be better than it is now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 11:56 PM)
Mike (NJ) [via mobile]

Klaw

I'n my current drunken stupor, I read "You do the meth", and it seemed very fitting. Then i relaiezxed my error. Whoops.

Law also predicted the Sox to lose 100 games this year.

My problem with Law is that he's biased toward those organizations that use his theories, and biased against those that don't....regardless of the outcome of Win and Losses. He still considers Cleveland a "smart" organization, despite the fact that Cleveland has had one playoff appearance with this "Smart" management team.

He is now claiming that the Sox taught Sale a new off-speed pitch (or developed the "lousy" one he had - forget exactly how he put it) that transformed him.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
He is now claiming that the Sox taught Sale a new off-speed pitch (or developed the "lousy" one he had - forget exactly how he put it).

Sale's basically throwing the same mix of pitches he came out of college with, although he may be more crisp with them from working with a major league pitching coach. He just didn't need to throw 1 of them the last 2 years.