8/25 Mariners at White Sox

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
I just don't understand his style, I thought a closer needed to be deceptive. Reed doesn't throw curves or sliders or anything like that from what I can tell, he just throws fastballs and changeups afaict

Closers usually rely on a hard fastball and a breaking pitch....Not many have more than 2 or 3 pitches.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
I just don't understand his style, I thought a closer needed to be deceptive. Reed doesn't throw curves or sliders or anything like that from what I can tell, he just throws fastballs and changeups afaict

Reed has secondar stuff. The 2nd best closer in MLB was a fastball closer pitcher. Hoffman.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2012 -> 02:30 AM)
The point is that Seager's a FASTBALL hitter.

Needs to trust or at least use his slider more often than he has been.

True, but that's all second guessing. What about the leadoff hitter, the lefty, he blew away for strike three with a fastball. I think he knew he had 2 runs to work with and the home run actually was not that big a deal in that situation. Two out homer with nobody on base. He coulda popped up that heater as well or flew out to deep center. The broken bat single is what made it really interesting. True, a single is a single, but that was really really bad luck for Reed.

p.s. What is a fastball hitter?? Who in baseball isn't a fastball hitter? If it's fast enough ... they still miss it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
True, but that's all second guessing. What about the leadoff hitter, the lefty, he blew away for strike three with a fastball. I think he knew he had 2 runs to work with and the home run actually was not that big a deal in that situation. Two out homer with nobody on base. He coulda popped up that heater as well or flew out to deep center. The broken bat single is what made it really interesting. True, a single is a single, but that was really really bad luck for Reed.

p.s. What is a fastball hitter?? Who in baseball isn't a fastball hitter? If it's fast enough ... they still miss it.

Gordon Beckham and Viciedo (long swing, not cutting down to make it more compact) for most of this season.

Flowers and Lillibridge would be two others.