Gavin Floyd pulled with "Elbow Discomfort"

Balta1701

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
If there's something available for a price comparable to what he's paid for the guys he's picked up this season...he'll move.

At this point of the year, money is less of a concern. You are only looking at 1/6 of a player salary, and the whole off season to adjust if a longer contract is acquired.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
At this point of the year, money is less of a concern. You are only looking at 1/6 of a player salary, and the whole off season to adjust if a longer contract is acquired.

(I meant price in terms of players given up).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
this is turning out like Danks. We now know the reaso. he has been pitching poorly.

I think this is correct. My guess is this elbow problem has been there quite sometime. Sometimnes he can pitch through it and oithers times not. Just hope it isn't serious. Floyd has a lot of talent and when he is on his game he is really good. We just haven't seen it a lot this year.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
Prospect + half is salary. Getr done

My money is MB ending up on the Sox at some point before his Marlins contract is up

That is still a lot of money for a team that may have help coming in starting pitching. We still have Danks coming back next year, Chris Sale, Gavin Floyd (team option), Jose Quintana, and Hector Santiago coming back next year. That is without Jake Peavy or Liriano being resigned. I would not be shocked if at least one of them were back next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
That is still a lot of money for a team that may have help coming in starting pitching. We still have Danks coming back next year, Chris Sale, Gavin Floyd (team option), Jose Quintana, and Hector Santiago coming back next year. That is without Jake Peavy or Liriano being resigned. I would not be shocked if at least one of them were back next year.

Sale

Danks

NewQ

xxxx

xxxx

For as much as he talks like a stand up guy, I don't see Peavy coming back. He'll get a big (relative to his performance the last few years anyway) offer and sign elsewhere like Buehrle.

I don't trust Hector or Floyd as anything but a 5th, don't trust Liriano signing, don't trust Q not being a fluke.

I'll admit I'm biased, but give me some MB back for 6m, 8m, 9m the next 3 years.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Sale

Danks

NewQ

xxxx

xxxx

For as much as he talks like a stand up guy, I don't see Peavy coming back. He'll get a big (relative to his performance the last few years anyway) offer and sign elsewhere like Buehrle.

I don't trust Hector or Floyd as anything but a 5th, don't trust Liriano signing, don't trust Q not being a fluke.

I'll admit I'm biased, but give me some MB back for 6m, 8m, 9m the next 3 years.

Dont trust the marlins to send that kind of money back with Mark

Sale

Danks

NewQ

xxxx

xxxx

I think we're seeing Quintana's regression as much as it is going to happen...he's obviously gone out there several times and battled without his best stuff...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
I think we're seeing Quintana's regression as much as it is going to happen...he's obviously gone out there several times and battled without his best stuff...

Yeah, I expected him to fall back a lot more than he did, but the kid has a set of cajones. He will go out and fight even if it isn't his night. The reality is even if he has a sophomore slump, he could fall back into the 4.50 era/1.30WHIP area and still be a big contribute to this team.

Sale

Danks

NewQ

xxxx

xxxx

My projections were also without Cooper picking up a new project, and without Kenny pulling off one of his unforeseen blockbuster deals.

Sale

Danks

NewQ

xxxx

xxxx

I've stated this elsewhere on Sox Talk, but I think that the Sox will exercise the one year option on Peavy. The marginal cost of $18 million is not that bad for a healthy Peavy. I suspect that J. R. is less reluctant to give a guy big money for one year, than he is to commit to a long term, expensive contract, especially for a pitcher.

The Sox will need at least one top of the rotation, right handed starter next year, to balance a staff with so many lefties.

I think it will be Sale, Danks, Peavy, Quintana, and a new rhp to replace Floyd, whom I think will be traded, once he has proven that he's healthy again.

I just can't imagine that they would resign Liriano, with so many lefties, unless they move Quintana to the bullpen, as the new left handed set up man to replace Thornton. If K. W. could move Floyd and Thornton, the money saved there might allow them to spend the money on Liriano. How expensive he will be will likely, at least in large part, be determined by how well he pitches down the stretch.

If Liriano were back in the rotation next year, perhaps they could get by with Axelrod as the 5TH starter. It doesn't appear that either Castro or Molina will be anywhere near ready. In any case, it will almost have to be a righty, if not from within the organization, then a new acquisition.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
I've stated this elsewhere on Sox Talk, but I think that the Sox will exercise the one year option on Peavy. The marginal cost of $18 million is not that bad for a healthy Peavy. I suspect that J. R. is less reluctant to give a guy big money for one year, than he is to commit to a long term, expensive contract, especially for a pitcher.

The Sox will need at least one top of the rotation, right handed starter next year, to balance a staff with so many lefties.

I think it will be Sale, Danks, Peavy, Quintana, and a new rhp to replace Floyd, whom I think will be traded, once he has proven that he's healthy again.

I just can't imagine that they would resign Liriano, with so many lefties, unless they move Quintana to the bullpen, as the new left handed set up man to replace Thornton. If K. W. could move Floyd and Thornton, the money saved there might allow them to spend the money on Liriano. How expensive he will be will likely, at least in large part, be determined by how well he pitches down the stretch.

If Liriano were back in the rotation next year, perhaps they could get by with Axelrod as the 5TH starter. It doesn't appear that either Castro or Molina will be anywhere near ready. In any case, it will almost have to be a righty, if not from within the organization, then a new acquisition.

Its' going to be hard for the White Sox to have the same level of success next season if they don't have a top of the rotation (Sale/Peavy) like this year's. I'm not sure they can find another Peavy type on the free agent market or through trade. A 1 year deal would at least keep Peavy motivated for a long-term deal, and keep the Sox off the hook for future years in case he isn't as good or ineffective.

If they do keep Peavy, there are obvious implications - I would assume that Floyd (assuming his elbow is intact) is moved during the off-season and Liriano isn't brought back. They would probably have a rotation of Sale, Peavy, Danks, Quintano and Santiago with probably some competition from a guy or two from the minors or Humber. It will be interesting to see if they sell high on Quintano as well - maybe they move him if they don't think they he'll be able to repeat this year's success, but, as a pitcher making no money, that's also important, and needed, if Peavy comes back.

If they don't want Peavy back, my guess is that they try to resign Liriano and then hope that a full year of Liriano and a healthy Danks is enough to offset the loss of Peavy. Losing Peavy also could free up the money needed to resign Youkalis and AJ so a lot to balance here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Yeah, I expected him to fall back a lot more than he did, but the kid has a set of cajones. He will go out and fight even if it isn't his night. The reality is even if he has a sophomore slump, he could fall back into the 4.50 era/1.30WHIP area and still be a big contribute to this team.

He really impressed me with how he turned it around on Saturday night after his woeful start. Cajones is right.