Our White Sox vs. Detroit p**** Cats 6:05 CSN

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Yes, agreed. If we get swept this weekend it will be tough to rebound from for a myriad of reasons.

Absolutely. The last time Detroit swept em, the Sox only won 10 of their next 13 and won the next 4 series. Done.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
This is far from over.. even if we are swept we are still tied for 1st.. relax people. I just don't want to ever see Thornton again.. man he needs to go.

Great post, but I disagree about Thornton. We should continue using him, just NEVER in high leverage situations. He's a coward, plain and simple.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
It gets to a point (and maybe this is a defense mechanism I'm using) where it's hard to believe the Sox deserve the AL Central title if they get dominated by the Tigers during the second half of the year. If they go something like 2-8 or 1-9 vs them after the ASB, then you probably aren't going to beat them in the standings. At some point, you have to beat your main competition head-to-head and not make the Royals do your dirty work.

The same thing happened when it was Sox vs Twins. It would be nice if Cabrera and Fielder would actually go into a slump.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Sep 1, 2012 -> 03:31 AM)
Tigers have just as many flaws as we do as a team.

Sure, I agree. But that doesn't matter if they show up and play hard and keep beating the White Sox. Miguel Cabrera has just destroyed the Sox this season, and letting Rick Porcello look like Kevin Brown in his prime hasn't helped much. Problem with losing against the ineffective Fister tonight is you facing the hottest pitcher in baseball tomorrow in Scherzer. Liriano has been abysmal in his career against the Tigers as well. Gotta find a way to win before heading into Sunday Night's game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
Absolutely. The last time Detroit swept em, the Sox only won 10 of their next 13 and won the next 4 series. Done.

At some point we'll need to beat them in Detroit in order to win the division *edit.: more than likely I should say

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Tigers have just as many flaws as we do as a team.

And people are getting their panties in a bunch over us losing an all-around ugly game by both teams. Neither team deserved to win this one.

Also, I'm starting to get some 2005 vibes around here. Most people on Soxtalk had all but given up on the team that year when the Indians made their late run. I remember I had tried using "logic" to say we were still in good shape by showing everyone the obvious schedule advantage we had and I just got s*** on. Unforunately, pesisimism rules on this website.

We lost and we deserved to lose. I think we were like 0-12 with RISP. WEe had plenty of chances but shades of last year. Runner on third and 1 out and we need a flyball out minimum and get a K. The bases loaded fiasco clinched that win for the Tigers and Peavy & Thornton couldn't do the job. Oh well, we are still 2 up but have to start playing like a first place team starting tomorrow.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 1, 2012 -> 02:40 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2686869:date=Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:31 PM:name=Noonskadoodle)-->
<!--quotec-->Tigers have just as many flaws as we do as a team.

And people are getting their panties in a bunch over us losing an all-around ugly game by both teams. Neither team deserved to win this one.

Also, I'm starting to get some 2005 vibes around here. Most people on Soxtalk had all but given up on the team that year when the Indians made their late run. I remember I had tried using "logic" to say we were still in good shape by showing everyone the obvious schedule advantage we had and I just got s*** on. Unforunately, pesisimism rules on this website.

No argument it was an ugly game that neither tem deserved to win but someone did win and it wasn't us. We can't afford to keep giving games away. Hopefully it's a different story Saturday

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2012 -> 02:45 AM)
Did AJ call for that pitch to Delmon Young or did Thornton miss a spot? Every time Young comes up, Hawk/Stone/Farmer/DJ seem to all say he loves it down & in. That pitch was in his f***ing wheelhouse.

I would love to see stats comparing the number of swings and misses Thornton got on his fastball in previous years compared to this year. If you didn't know better, you'd think he was throwing 88 mph.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
This. I wish I could explain why Thornton is still seeing leveraged situations. It's baffling to me.

What's baffling to me is the same people crying about Thornton being used were crying he wasn't being used when Meyers served up a meatball the other night in Baltimore.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 08:40 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2686869:date=Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:31 PM:name=Noonskadoodle)-->
<!--quotec-->Tigers have just as many flaws as we do as a team.

Detroit deserved to win. The top of the order produced.

2005 and 2008 = apples and oranges. 4 solid starters in 2005. Decent lead going into Sept. No starter was on the DL. Let's not go back there.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
Detroit deserved to win. The top of the order produced.

2005 and 2008 = apples and oranges. 4 solid starters in 2005. Decent lead going into Sept. No starter was on the DL. Let's not go back there.

The Sox lost this game when they had 2,3,4 up with the bases loaded and nobody out and scored nothing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
I would love to see stats comparing the number of swings and misses Thornton got on his fastball in previous years compared to this year. If you didn't know better, you'd think he was throwing 88 mph.

I wonder if trying to learn to throw more breaking balls has ruined him.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 1, 2012 -> 03:54 AM)
I wonder if trying to learn to throw more breaking balls has ruined him.

That's the only pitch he's used effectively the last few months. Just seem like a lot of the pitchers on the roster are fatigued. I don't even know who's in the rotation anymore. Is Axelrod officially the 5th, or is Santiago facing the Twins? It's still surprising to me that KW didn't make a play for a starting pitcher during the waiver period. As flavum keeps saying, the Sox are one "low velocity start" for Sale away from having to scramble to fill a start or two.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
What's baffling to me is the same people crying about Thornton being used were crying he wasn't being used when Meyers served up a meatball the other night in Baltimore.

Wasn't me. Hell there have been a few games recently where Thornton has been pitching in the 8th and I'm screaming for Meyers even with nobody on. Personally I'd rather die with Meyers than Thornton.

Thornton's velocity has decreased noticeably. And it's straight. And his second offering isn't good.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Did AJ call for that pitch to Delmon Young or did Thornton miss a spot? Every time Young comes up, Hawk/Stone/Farmer/DJ seem to all say he loves it down & in. That pitch was in his f***ing wheelhouse.

It was called and Thornton missed. AJ called for a fastbal in, Thornton missed down.