Illinois State High School Football Thread

greg775

Brother Rice is getting spanked 42-7 at halftime.

I kind of had a feeling a combination of Carmel being amazing and Rice feeling good about itself after the great win over St. Rita might make it tough this week.

O was wrong about Rice's defense. Looks bad tonight.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Brother Rice is getting spanked 42-7 at halftime.

I kind of had a feeling a combination of Carmel being amazing and Rice feeling good about itself after the great win over St. Rita might make it tough this week.

O was wrong about Rice's defense. Looks bad tonight.

Mt. Carmel and Loyola are the class of the league. I'm looking forward to that one next Friday. Hopefully I don't get shot at Gately.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 05:07 AM)
Mt. Carmel and Loyola are the class of the league. I'm looking forward to that one next Friday. Hopefully I don't get shot at Gately.

Danman are u a journalist? Do you cover these games? I watched some of the Rice-MC game. Carmel looked like it could score on any play it wanted. I guess some Rice fans complained about how the team ran the ball too much under the former coach. I still think the right formula for high school is run a ton like Mt. Carmel and throw maybe 10 times a game? This Rice formula of throwing 45 times a game kind of scares me. I don't think high school kids can pull that off over the course of a season without having some mega-turnover games. What u think?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 02:19 AM)
Danman are u a journalist? Do you cover these games? I watched some of the Rice-MC game. Carmel looked like it could score on any play it wanted. I guess some Rice fans complained about how the team ran the ball too much under the former coach. I still think the right formula for high school is run a ton like Mt. Carmel and throw maybe 10 times a game? This Rice formula of throwing 45 times a game kind of scares me. I don't think high school kids can pull that off over the course of a season without having some mega-turnover games. What u think?

Yes, I cover games, mostly in the northern suburbs. I'm on the Loyola beat, but I've covered a bit of other teams in the area as well.

I don't think running that much is very effective to be honest. If you have Mount Carmel's talent and coaching you can run just about any system and be fairly successful. MC is one of the most consistent teams in the state and they had an amazing run in the 90s and early 2000s, but they haven't won a state title since 2003. I wouldn't say they've fallen off, but teams like Maine South and Wheaton-Warrenville South have passed them up. Heck, both of those teams beat MC in state title games. Neither of those schools is run-heavy and both have produced good college QB prospects. Even in the Catholic League Loyola went undefeated last year running 4 and 5 WRs all the time.

So, basically, I don't think there's one best system. You have to have talent, disciplined players and good coaching.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)
Yes, I cover games, mostly in the northern suburbs. I'm on the Loyola beat, but I've covered a bit of other teams in the area as well.

I don't think running that much is very effective to be honest. If you have Mount Carmel's talent and coaching you can run just about any system and be fairly successful. MC is one of the most consistent teams in the state and they had an amazing run in the 90s and early 2000s, but they haven't won a state title since 2003. I wouldn't say they've fallen off, but teams like Maine South and Wheaton-Warrenville South have passed them up. Heck, both of those teams beat MC in state title games. Neither of those schools is run-heavy and both have produced good college QB prospects. Even in the Catholic League Loyola went undefeated last year running 4 and 5 WRs all the time.

So, basically, I don't think there's one best system. You have to have talent, disciplined players and good coaching.

Thanks Danman. That makes sense. Is Loyola undefeated just like MC? Who do you pick in the showdown?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
Thanks Danman. That makes sense. Is Loyola undefeated just like MC? Who do you pick in the showdown?

Loyola lost to Dallas Jesuit in Dublin, Ireland, in week 2 by 1 point. That Dallas team had 4 BCS level commits in its senior class. Before this week I thought Loyola would win, although MC's big win on Friday may have changed my mind. I'm truly on the fence. It's going to be a great game.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 03:45 AM)
Loyola lost to Dallas Jesuit in Dublin, Ireland, in week 2 by 1 point. That Dallas team had 4 BCS level commits in its senior class. Before this week I thought Loyola would win, although MC's big win on Friday may have changed my mind. I'm truly on the fence. It's going to be a great game.

Do you have to worry about your car getting looted at Gately Stadium? Or is it safer now?

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 07:21 AM)
Damn, Warren killed Stevenson!

(Not really but since Rowand doesn't follow his school anymore, I'll just say Warren won and he'll buy it.)

39 to 7, eh? Might be time to start following hs sports again considering pro and college ones suck so f***in much.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 10:47 PM)
Do you have to worry about your car getting looted at Gately Stadium? Or is it safer now?

I've been to Gately on a Saturday afternoon before and had no problem. I understand Friday nights are a different animal, but I'm not super worried. Besides, among all the fancy cars the Loyola contingent will be bringing my car will not be labeled as a target.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)
I've been to Gately on a Saturday afternoon before and had no problem. I understand Friday nights are a different animal, but I'm not super worried. Besides, among all the fancy cars the Loyola contingent will be bringing my car will not be labeled as a target.

What teams still consider Gately Stadium its home? Why are they playing it there anyway?

Brother Rice got ripped pretty good tonight by the Celtics. I tell ya I'm not crazy about the no huddle spread offense on the high school level. BR finally got pick sixed tonight and it cost 'em the game pretty much. This quarterback they got is OK. What's gonna happen when they have a blah quarterback?

Rice's defense is sucking, too. I'm thinking this coach is stressing offense more than D cause it takes some precision to run the spread. Of course I'm just speculating on that, but Rice is pretty lousy this year on defense.

The fans who ripped Nye for running too much might be begging for him to come back.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 02:50 AM)
Brother Rice got ripped pretty good tonight by the Celtics. I tell ya I'm not crazy about the no huddle spread offense on the high school level. BR finally got pick sixed tonight and it cost 'em the game pretty much. This quarterback they got is OK. What's gonna happen when they have a blah quarterback?

Rice's defense is sucking, too. I'm thinking this coach is stressing offense more than D cause it takes some precision to run the spread. Of course I'm just speculating on that, but Rice is pretty lousy this year on defense.

The fans who ripped Nye for running too much might be begging for him to come back.

No they will not.

Rice was expected to have one of their worst seasons in the school's history. The fact they beat Rita at Rita is huge. They are starting 5 sophomores.

They will be fine.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
No they will not.

Rice was expected to have one of their worst seasons in the school's history. The fact they beat Rita at Rita is huge. They are starting 5 sophomores.

They will be fine.

Wow. One of the worst seasons in school history? What happened? Is it enrollment? Is the school in trouble?

On another note, does Marist annually annihilate Benet? I see they are playing on Friday and Benet has a good record. Will Benet get killed?? Or ?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
I saw Aaron Bailey play last night. It was his first game back since spraining his knee midseason. He can run, but he wasn't impressive through the air. I don't know how much of that was rust though.

They don't really let him throw very often. With what Illinois has I would bet that he plays a lot as a Frosh net year. However, if he has aspirations to make a career out of football it will be at a different position. He had plenty of offers to attend better football schools but they would not commit to him playing QB. He is a brick s***house though. If you went to the game not knowing who he was you would assume he was their MLB. Real good kid too.