Chicago White Sox @ LAA Angels

justBLAZE

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 05:01 AM)
Resigned.

And knowing the challenge posed by Detroit is only going to be greater next season with Martinez back, Alburquerque for the entire season....maybe a ROY campaign by Avisail Garcia.

All things considered, it would be a miracle for the Sox to beat DET next year unless Verlander and Scherzer both go down to injury.

Not quite as bad as in 2008, because that would have been 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2008 that the Twins had beaten us, with only 2005 in between.

Yeah. Makes sense.

That's why I wanted to really win this year. I feel like Detroit is so much better than the other Central teams that they'll likely get it together for a week and pass us and fulfill their destiny as a playoff team. But then next year they'll actually be GOOD all year and we could be out of it in June/July like the Royals always are. That's my fear.

Losing in blowout fashion tonight is not a good sign after the latest meltdown series in KC.

It's funny how baseball is so much different from every other team sport. It's pretty apparent the Sox are dead, in a funk, whatever, entering the homestretch. But in no way can Robin address this with a pep talk or team meeting or speech before or after games (unlike football, basketball where coaches talk all the time). It would be seen as a sign of panic or of weakness. So he like all managers has to act the same as he does every other day during the season and just hope the bad Sox turn into the good Sox again.

The marathon nature of baseball season dictates Robin saying nothing, just making out the lineup cards day after day.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
It's funny how baseball is so much different from every other team sport. It's pretty apparent the Sox are dead, in a funk, whatever, entering the homestretch. But in no way can Robin address this with a pep talk or team meeting or speech before or after games (unlike football, basketball where coaches talk all the time). It would be seen as a sign of panic or of weakness. So he like all managers has to act the same as he does every other day during the season and just hope the bad Sox turn into the good Sox again.

The marathon nature of baseball season dictates Robin saying nothing, just making out the lineup cards day after day.

It's because pep talks don't do s***. This is a game in which the manager has to look and see whether bad play is happening because of something controllable or mere chance. When the best players only succeed 30% of the time (at the plate), a long streak of failures is well within the realm of possibility on a "normal" day. A slight downturn in production (like from 4 runs a game to 3 runs a game, which usually constitutes the difference between a winning run and a losing run) is bound to happen fairly often just by chance. You can't treat it like a football coach would because in football most players execute at an extremely high rate by nature of the game. You can't out-motivate chance.

Having heads up asses and being in a statistically likely bad stretch look remarkably similar. Managers have to discern which is occurring and strong reactions usually wind up with a manager getting bad about things that are bound to happen, statistically. Robin can focus on the mistakes like the fielding, baserunning ones and just hope the offensive issues are going to be self-correcting. Obviously Manto is always going to be working hard to keep players going, so you can't say that he needs to suddenly change his style.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)

Pep talks don't work in baseball because trying harder usually leads to more failure.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 05:22 AM)
lol @ the tone of this thread. No wonder some of you guys are home on a Friday night.

I'm at work, pal.

Kidding, but I am at work. I can multi-task so I can monitor the game and post on here while also working.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 05:31 AM)
Yup

It does sound like Hawk knows this is not a playoff-caliber team. It's all up to Detroit. If they suck the last week, we might back in. If Detroit takes care of business and dusts off Minnie and KC we have zero chance.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 05:23 AM)
It's because pep talks don't do s***. This is a game in which the manager has to look and see whether bad play is happening because of something controllable or mere chance. When the best players only succeed 30% of the time (at the plate), a long streak of failures is well within the realm of possibility on a "normal" day. A slight downturn in production (like from 4 runs a game to 3 runs a game, which usually constitutes the difference between a winning run and a losing run) is bound to happen fairly often just by chance. You can't treat it like a football coach would because in football most players execute at an extremely high rate by nature of the game. You can't out-motivate chance.

Having heads up asses and being in a statistically likely bad stretch look remarkably similar. Managers have to discern which is occurring and strong reactions usually wind up with a manager getting bad about things that are bound to happen, statistically. Robin can focus on the mistakes like the fielding, baserunning ones and just hope the offensive issues are going to be self-correcting. Obviously Manto is always going to be working hard to keep players going, so you can't say that he needs to suddenly change his style.

Nice post.

I'm not saying he should give a pep talk, I just find it funny that obviously the team is dead and is in need of some words of wisdom from somebody. Or Youk should turn a table over. You have to admit the team is playing dead. Awful hitting. Awful baserunning in KC. Not like a real contender that is for sure.