Chicago White Sox @ LAAA California Angels playing in Anaheim.

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm coming around to the idea of putting Gordon in the 2 spot and moving Youk down to 7 (DV and Alexei move down a spot each). I also understand that Gordon's wild inconsistency would reduce my faith in him staying hot down the stretch and I understand that moving him in the order again could blow his fragile mind. So I'm not sure if I care that they haven't changed things.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Think on the bright side (and I'm being sincere). No matter what, when we wake up tomorrow, the Sox will still be in first place. Without the rain out last night, it could easily have been tied after tonight. Hopefully the Sox beat up on Haren tonight and we can still be in first place come Monday.

Exactly Fathom

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm coming around to the idea of putting Gordon in the 2 spot and moving Youk down to 7 (DV and Alexei move down a spot each). I also understand that Gordon's wild inconsistency would reduce my faith in him staying hot down the stretch and I understand that moving him in the order again could blow his fragile mind. So I'm not sure if I care that they haven't changed things.

Youk is close - he's starting to square up some balls. Hang tight. I like the squatter hitting 9th.

Trying to find more reasons to look in the bright side. Even if we did make the playoffs and lost in the first series, we'd earn less money than if we had Brett Myers on our roster next season if they let him finish 6 more games, haha.

Inside the Numbers: How MLB Postseason Gate Revenues Are Split

Written by Maury Brown

Friday, 24 September 2010 14:13

When financial documents for several MLB clubs were leaked to Deadspin last month, two pieces of information that has been a source of curiosity for many fans was somewhat revealed. With the Rays and Angels documents showing how much the respective clubs made in the postseason, a window was opened into how much extra revenues a club can make by reaching the postseason.

But, from that point, little detail was provided. A postseason revenue figure does not cover how MLB’s rules dictate how much a club can pull in.

With the 2010 postseason about to arrive, discussions around clubs that are reaching that goal are surfacing in the media. With the Minnesota Twins being the first to clinch a position, John Vomhof Jr. of the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal contacted me to discuss postseason revenues for the club (see Playoffs add millions to Twins’ lucrative season). As reported:

The Angels reported $12.1 million in revenue from hosting five first- and second-round playoff games in 2009 and nearly $4.4 million for hosting two first-round games in 2008, according to the reports published by Deadspin.com.

The Rays made almost $17.7 million in revenue on the six postseason games they hosted in 2008. Having two home games in the World Series helped boost those results.

The Twins might not be able to expect as much revenue from early-round games as the Angels made last year, but they should be able to surpass the Rays’ results, said Maury Brown, founder and president of the Business of Sports Network, which includes the Biz of Baseball website.

“It’s in the millions of dollars,” Brown said of the financial impact the Twins will receive from making the playoffs this year. “And depending on how far they go, it could be upwards of $10 million.”

Vomhof does a good job of digesting the key aspects of MLB’s Rules document, that details how the revenues are to be split between players and the clubs that make the postseason. The logic, however, is simple: the further you go into the posteason, and the more games you host, the more revenues a club can make.

To begin with, one needs to understand that with the postseason, clubs actually lose seating capacity. How? Here’s the demands placed on clubs making the postseason to provide ticket and seating. And remember… this doesn’t cover the seats chewed up by overflow media seating considerations which can many times go into the hundreds over what a normal regular season game demands.

(e) TICKET PRIORITIES. The order in which requests for reserved seat tickets for the World Series shall be filed is as follows:

(1) Visiting Club. Five hundred reserved seat tickets for each game to the visiting club, for accommodations of its officials and guests, the same to be paid for by the visiting Club.

(2) Players. Five tickets for each eligible player of the visiting team, which shall be delivered to and paid for by each player through the business manager of the player's Club.

(3) Commissioner's Office and Club Officials. Requests filed by the Commissioner's Office and Major League Club officials or parties of prominence with the Commissioner.

(4) Major League Clubs. Major League Clubs (other than the visiting Club), 100 reserved seat tickets, 16 of which shall be box seats. Eight of the 16 box seats shall be grouped together in the lower deck between first and third base, and 20 of the remaining 84 reserved seats shall be so situated.

DIVISION OF POST-SEASON RECEIPTS

The gate receipts from the World Series, from the first four games of each League Championship Series, and from the first three games of each Division Series (which shall be remitted by the participating Clubs to the Office of the Commissioner within 24 hours after the completion of each game) shall be divided as follows:

(a) COMMISSIONER. Fifteen percent from all World Series games shall be paid to the Office of the Commissioner. A percentage set annually by the Commissioner, and approved by the Major League Executive Council, in accordance with Rule 26(b) (Assessment of Paid Attendance Receipts), from all League Championship Series games shall be paid to the Office of the Commissioner.

(b) PLAYERS.

(1) Creation of Pool. One players' pool shall be created from the World Series, the two League Championship Series and the four Division Series. Contributions shall be made into the pool as follows:

(A) Sixty percent of the total gate receipts from the first four World Series games;

(B) Sixty percent of the total gate receipts from the first four games of each League Championship Series; and

© Sixty percent of the total gate receipts from the first three games of each Division Series.

So, as the rules show, a sizeable chunk of revenues for the clubs that make the postseason get lopped off the top before owners get their cut. You’ll note that the owners don’t get to reap the full benefits of the playoffs unless a game goes past deciding games. The reason for the players getting the large percentage is to keep them from throwing games.

The slicing a dicing of the revenues gets detailed further:

CLUBS—COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE.

(1) World Series. After the fifteen percent payable to the Office of the Commissioner and the sixty percent which forms the players' pool in the first four games of the World Series, as required by Rule 45(b)(1)(A), the balance of the gate receipts shall be equally divided between the two participating Major League Clubs.

(2) League Championship Series.

(A) After the percentage payable to the Commissioner's Office pursuant to Rule 45(a) and the sixty percent which forms the players' pool in the first four League Championship Series games in each League, as required by Rule 45(b)(1)(B), the balance of the gate receipts from said four League Championship Series games of a League shall be equally divided between the two Clubs participating in the League Championship Series of that League.

(B) If the League Championship Series games in a League shall exceed four, the gate receipts of such playoff games in excess of four shall be divided as follows: first, the Commissioner's Office shall be paid the percentage described in Rule 45(a), and then the remaining receipts shall be equally divided between the two Clubs participating in the League Championship Series of that League.

(3) Division Series.

(A) After the percentage payable to the Commissioner's Office pursuant to Rule 45(a) and the sixty percent which forms the players' pool in the first three Division Series games in each Division Series, as required by Rule 45(b)(1)(B), the balance of the gate receipts from said three Division Series games in each Division Series shall be equally divided between the two Clubs participating in such Division Series.

(B) If the games in a Division Series shall exceed three, the gate receipts of such playoff games in excess of three shall be divided as follows: first, the Commissioner's Office shall be paid the percentage described in Rule 45(a), and then the remaining receipts shall be equally divided between the two Clubs participating in such Division Series.

So, the one true benefactor that cannot fail to receive gate revenues to the maximum extent is the Commissioner’s Office, who gets their percentage ahead of all others. The players are next, and then any deciding games after the series minimum is reached, those revenues are split equally.

So, in the sense that there is pure parity when it comes to gate receipts. If the Padres and Yankees make the World Series, the Padres get the same cut as the Yankees, even if for some reason the Padres weren’t to pull in the same amount of revenues as the Yankees were to.

So, for owners, there is money to be made even if your club were to get swept in a given postseason series, but they reap even greater rewards if a series goes beyond the minimum, not just because of the extra games, but because the two teams get 100% of the gate after the Commissioner's Office takes their slice off the top.

And we’re just talked the direct revenues for the postseason. Clubs that reach the playoffs get a slingshot effect into the following season in the form of increased season ticket and suite sales due to a good showing in the standings. Everyone loves a winner, and the belief that a team that is in the playoffs one year, should be a contender the next. An owner, his GM, and staff can always hope.

Teams not only generate more revenue based on how far they advance in the post season, but also based on how many games they play within a given series.

Under Major League Baseball’s collective-bargaining agreement, 60 percent of total gate receipts from non-deciding games — the first three games of the Division Series and the first four games of both the Championship Series and the World Series — go into a pool for postseason players, with the other 40 percent going to the home team. The home team receives 100 percent of the revenue for any additional non-deciding games played within a series.

The player pool is distributed as follows: 36 percent to the World Series winner, 24 percent to the World Series loser, 12 percent to the two Championship Series losers, 3 percent to each of the four Division Series losers and 1 percent to each of the four second-place teams that did not make the playoffs as a wild card.(remember what Ozzie was saying down the stretch last year about finishing in 2nd instead of 3rd?)

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stor...ry1.html?page=1

Not only that, but the A's losing these first two games agains the Yankees, the first two in DET (1-4 overall)... the injury to Anderson, the fact that they've got 7 games remaining with the Rangers....that's giving the Angels a ton of hope right now that they can put their foot on the gas the final 10 days and catch them from behind.

They've only got a 3 game lead now over the Angels for the WC. It was 4 1/2 and looking bleak.

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
This is easily the most nervous I've been before a game all season. Tonight's game is huge! Hopefully it's one of those rare nights where the offense comes alive and we get a comfortable lead early. Wish I had more faith.

To each their own, but this team isn't good enough to get nervous for.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
If Gio is still in the organization, Sox aren't in the same position and might not have drafted Sale.

That's so true. I try to point that out when people say s*** like that.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
That's so true. I try to point that out when people say s*** like that.

I think it could go both ways....How in the HELL do you know they still dont end up with Sale?

All I said was it would have been awfully nice to have both in the same rotation. That doesnt mean I think he should STILL be on the team or that we even end up with Sale still because NOBODY knows.

It was just a simple statement. No need to try & make somebody feel stupid over something they said bud.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
I think it could go both ways....How in the HELL do you know they still dont end up with Sale?

All I said was it would have been awfully nice to have both in the same rotation. That doesnt mean I think he should STILL be on the team or that we even end up with Sale still because NOBODY knows.

It was just a simple statement. No need to try & make somebody feel stupid over something they said bud.

Sorry, that's my bad.

In general, I just don't like those hypotheticals. Too many different events. "if we didn't trade so and so" "if we beat KC more"

If we were in a just universe in which we beat KC as much as we should, we'd never be sweeping the Rangers and Yankees!

This is really the "must win, stop the bleeding" game, but you would have thought they would have had more of a sense of urgency to get Santana than they did.

Haren's been a lot better more recently, and Weaver's the toughest out of all historically for the White Sox.

You got the Tigers surging againg with confidence at home, Scherzer on the bump...everything has turned in the course of 4-5 days, from the jubilation of Monday and Tuesday (actually beating KC on the road) to this.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
What is our record in games when ADA hits a leadoff bomb? The last two that I remember, we lost.

2-2

We didnt lose the last 2. He led off the KC series with one which we won.

Then led off last nights series which we lost.

His first one was against the Indians & tomlin I believe which we won then he lost the Verlander one.

Edited by Noonskadoodle