"Nobody Cares About the Sox"

SouthSidePride05

Guess who said it? Hint: he's a well-known Chicago sports anchor. Tonight on the sports segment he said "And the miserable baseball season in Chicago comes to an end. The Cubs lose 100 games, and nobody cares about the Sox. It kills me".

Why do people say stuff like this? It just pissed me off. I've been in a horrible mood ever since the collapse, and hearing someone say this makes me even more upset.

Edited by SouthSidePride05

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must rank pretty well in TV ratings, internet viewership (i.e., mlb.tv, gamecast, etc.), and merchandise sales, right?

I just assumed it's actual game attendance that we struggle with. Hire a new marketing team.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
We must rank pretty well in TV ratings, internet viewership (i.e., mlb.tv, gamecast, etc.), and merchandise sales, right?

I just assumed it's actual game attendance that we struggle with. Hire a new marketing team.

You could hire the best marketing team in the world. The problem is the stadium isn't located in the middle of Wrigleyville, it's stuck on the south side. That's a battle in Chicago you'll never win with casual fans regardless of what you do.

s*** this is true nationally too.

Can you think of one team that gets less national attention than the Sox? Even the Pirates and Orioles get more attention for their past successes and Hall of Fame players.

Maybe the Blue Jays? Royals? The list is small.

Meh, I don't see why that bothers people so much. I don't root for the White Sox to be in the cool crowd. For such an insignificant team, they somehow are able to have a top 10-15 payroll every year, so somebody has to be paying attention to them for that money to be there.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
You could hire the best marketing team in the world. The problem is the stadium isn't located in the middle of Wrigleyville, it's stuck on the south side. That's a battle in Chicago you'll never win with casual fans regardless of what you do.

If the Sox was located in Wrigleyville, then I would never go. I live in the south suburbs and I never went to Wrigleyville in my entire life because it's just too far for me. The White Sox's location in the South Side is a perfect location for me because all I have to do is jump on I-80 then I-57, or I can take the Rock Island Metra line.

I'm tired of people saying the sox is at a bad location, because I don't think that's entirely true. The Sox's location in the South Side is much more convenient for me than Wrigleyville. However, the reason I don't go to that many games is because I simply can't afford it that much, which how much parking is as well as how overpriced the tickets and food at the stadium is. Even taking the metra burns a hole in my wallet.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
If the Sox was located in Wrigleyville, then I would never go. I live in the south suburbs and I never went to Wrigleyville in my entire life because it's just too far for me. The White Sox's location in the South Side is a perfect location for me because all I have to do is jump on I-80 then I-57, or I can take the Rock Island Metra line.

I'm tired of people saying the sox is at a bad location, because I don't think that's entirely true. The Sox's location in the South Side is much more convenient for me than Wrigleyville. However, the reason I don't go to that many games is because I simply can't afford it that much, which how much parking is as well as how overpriced the tickets and food at the stadium is. Even taking the metra burns a hole in my wallet.

You're one person...moving to Wrigleyville means losing you and a few others, and adding thousands of random people.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
s*** this is true nationally too.

Can you think of one team that gets less national attention than the Sox? Even the Pirates and Orioles get more attention for their past successes and Hall of Fame players.

Maybe the Blue Jays? Royals? The list is small.

Royals, Indians and Twins (maybe Mauer makes them equal)...Padres, A's, Pirates, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays, Rays, Lastros, Pirates, probably the Brewers (although Braun also cancels that out a bit), Reds, DBacks, etc.

We're realistically probably somewhere between 14th and 18th. Our ratings are up for tv broadcasts, we have the international popularity of our hats and merchandise, Obama's fandom (lol), the Chicago media market, our franchise value somewhere in the 7-8-9-10 range out of all MLB teams...

No more Ozzie Guillen, lol, plain vanilla Ventura. Does anyone really miss that circus or think it did anything but help attendance this year?

Last year was just terrible in terms of watching the team on a daily basis. Until September, this was a much more enjoyable/pleasurable experience.