John Danks surgery/rehab/recovery thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 16, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
No.

But it's expected before he has a chance to build up his throwing routine and build up his throwing strength.

Remember he really hasn't thrown since August or whenever it was he was shut down. I think he has only a few times in rehab.

Could you lift the same amount of weight or run the same distance if you took 4 months off?

Would it even be smart to try?

Really its been more like 8-9 months off. He threw a few times after he got shutdown, but not really much at all.

"It's not my job to make the order of the rotation, but I definitely see myself being in the first five this year," Danks said. "I have no doubt I'll be on the Opening Day roster."

Although Danks went against hitters Wednesday in a covered batting cage due to inclement weather, Saturday qualified as his first full throttle live batting practice. He let loose with a few screams of exasperation when missing his location, but that was more the competitive side of Danks than anything to do with his ongoing rehab work.

"Yeah, that's just me getting frustrated. I want it all to be right, right now," Danks said. "I said all along that patience is not one of my virtues.

"It was the breaking ball. I was having trouble making the cutter do what I wanted it to do, but that will come with just repetition. I have no doubt the breaking ball will get to where it needs to be by April. The most important thing is that I felt good and I'm feeling better each time out so that's a positive thing.

"I feel like I'm throwing a little harder," Danks said. "It's coming around."

As Danks stood on the side while Sale threw his first inning, he joked with Thompson about not trying to take him deep during BP. Thompson laughed and countered that if Danks continued to bust him inside, he wouldn't be able to do much with those offerings.

Danks throws live batting practice again on Tuesday, followed by a bullpen session Friday. His Cactus League debut comes March 4 against the Giants, and if all goes well, the 27-year-old believes it will be his first of five or six starts before leaving Arizona with the team.

Merkinball

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
I'd love to see the gun on him now.

Based on what I've read, I'd guess 85-88, occasionally touching 89-90. He has never been much more than 92-93 in the past to begin with. If he can be up to 87-90 by the end of Spring Training, he's going to be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

Coop said velocity was 88, 89 for Danks yesterday

Coop on Danks: "He’s definitely going to participate. He’s definitely going to be with us I feel....

... But right now, we’ve got two weeks left to get it all together."

JJ Stankevitz ‏@JJStankevitz

Coop says the goal is to get Danks to be able to throw 6 innings. Didn't directly say it, but if he can do that he'll start yr in rotation.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Coop still has faith Danks will be ready for opening day, looking for six innings. Not 115 pitches

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
Even though there's been a lot of optimism surrounding Danks rehab, there's nothing that is abnormal about this impending trip to the DL.

I love how you refer to it as "Impending" as though it's completely guaranteed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
I love how you refer to it as "Impending" as though it's completely guaranteed.

Judging by past statements from Hahn the Sox are going to take it very cautiously with Danks rehab. They'd be silly not to, he's owed over $60M.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
Judging by past statements from Hahn the Sox are going to take it very cautiously with Danks rehab. They'd be silly not to, he's owed over $60M.

“John is aware if he’s ready he’s going to be with us,’’ Cooper said Friday

Just to repeat the first part of that quote.