John Danks surgery/rehab/recovery thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 08:04 PM)
It's too soon in this contract extension for smiley faces SS2K5. Maybe by year 4 I'll feel differently.

Another funny thing, Marty wanted the Sox to sign Grienke. He's going on the DL and was a lot more expensive than Danks. Even if he got what he wanted, he would have complained.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
Which is the case anytime Don Cooper is interviewed. He might be the best pitching coach in the game, but he is a dick during interviews.

He grew up in New York, what did you expect?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Cooper seemed pretty positive. He said he is continuing to improve, and is planning on having him start again Sunday. Also interesting to hear that Axelrod is on the same schedule as Santiago. He could be the fifth starter still if Danks can't go.

Ugh. Come on already, end this experiment.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
It's a 6th or 7th starter, it's not a huge deal

As long as he's 7th and in Charlotte.

If Danks can't start the season I want Santiago in his place.

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
As long as he's 7th and in Charlotte.

If Danks can't start the season I want Santiago in his place.

The thing is if they want Santiago out of the pen this year, why put him in the rotation only to yank him out later? Put him in the pen, and let him fill his role.

Since there is a fair amount of uncertainty with Quintana, I want Hector to get a chance. If it was a more sure bet as the 4th starter, I'd be okay with leaving Hector in the bullpen for continuity's sake. I'm afraid that we'll need to replace Q -- I'm not certain that we'll need to, but he has a relatively high risk of failure given his limited track record. I don't see why we'd want to keep our most ML ready starter in our own bullpen with this level of uncertainty.

FWIW, Greinke pitched four innings against our AAA roster today.

Things are looking encouraging, according to the LA Times. Currently receiving PRP Therapy, the same one they used with Billingsley.

BTW, in the current Sox ST going on, Jordan Danks is 11 for his last 15 and just tried to bunt with a runner on 1st and two outs, haha.

Make that 12 for his last 16, or .750. Two hard hit balls today. He's definitely making things interesting.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
Another funny thing, Marty wanted the Sox to sign Grienke. He's going on the DL and was a lot more expensive than Danks. Even if he got what he wanted, he would have complained.

;) yes, but we are talking Danks here not Grienke so really why mention Marty amd his wishes here at all. Hopefully by mid-April or early May Danks is strong enough and sharp enought to take his spot in the rotation.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
;) yes, but we are talking Danks here not Grienke so really why mention Marty amd his wishes here at all. Hopefully by mid-April or early May Danks is strong enough and sharp enought to take his spot in the rotation.

Not too mention Dick Allen misrepresented what I said about Greinke.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
FWIW, Greinke pitched four innings against our AAA roster today.

Things are looking encouraging, according to the LA Times. Currently receiving PRP Therapy, the same one they used with Billingsley.

BTW, in the current Sox ST going on, Jordan Danks is 11 for his last 15 and just tried to bunt with a runner on 1st and two outs, haha.

Make that 12 for his last 16, or .750. Two hard hit balls today. He's definitely making things interesting.

For muscle and tendon injuries the PRP has been getting better and better results in the literature with new delivery methods.

Looks like the Sox are making it known John Danks will start the season on the DL. Still down to Santiago or Axelrod for 5th starter.

I think Omogrosso and Troncoso are in competition for the bullpen still if Santiago makes it as the 5th starter. Doesn't necessarily mean Axelrod goes to the pen, or a 3rd lefty.

edit: Axelrod most likely 5th starter

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
The thing is if they want Santiago out of the pen this year, why put him in the rotation only to yank him out later? Put him in the pen, and let him fill his role.

They're going to need starters this year and going forward. While I think Santiago is better suited out of the pen, I think he's shown enough to take a chance on in the rotation particularly since there isn't much in the minors.

It's almost like they're going with Axelrod because then it avoids a tougher decision when Danks is ready. Meaning, if Santiago is really good as a starter, then they have to make a tough call on Quintana if he has a couple bad starts.

This way, Santiago stays in the pen, and the good soldier Axelrod makes a few starts, and goes to Charlotte.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)
It's almost like they're going with Axelrod because then it avoids a tougher decision when Danks is ready. Meaning, if Santiago is really good as a starter, then they have to make a tough call on Quintana if he has a couple bad starts.

This way, Santiago stays in the pen, and the good soldier Axelrod makes a few starts, and goes to Charlotte.

It's honestly not the worst thing in the world. If Q and Santiago both come out blazing guns, and Floyd is struggling to the tune of a 5.50, what do you do when Danks gets back? You have to go with a 6-man, kick Floyd out (which also brings up the dilemma of 4 lefties, but I have honestly been thoroughly convinced that's not a big deal), or you kick one of the young guys out who's doing well. Plus with this, you leave yourself with 3 lefties in the pen (unless Santiago is in Charlotte starting).

Getting off to a fast start is ESSENTIAL for the Sox to compete this year (and every year really), and giving the ball to Axe every fifth day seems like a strategy to make sure it doesn't happen.

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
Getting off to a fast start is ESSENTIAL for the Sox to compete this year (and every year really), and giving the ball to Axe every fifth day seems like a strategy to make sure it doesn't happen.

Axelrod has a career 4.50 era in his 10 starts at the major league level, with a WHIP of 1.39, and 57 hits against in 56 IP. He pretty much screams average. Certainly nothing as bad as being made out here.

It doesn't make sense to have to bring another reliever in for a month, and then yo-yo Santiago between starting and the pen, along with having to potentially reset everyone in the pen once Santiago gets back there. Would you put the new pitcher into Santiago's role? Would you move everyone up a spot in the pen, and keep the extra reliever at the bottom of the list, only to bump everyone else back when Danks returns and kicks Santiago out of the rotation?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
Axelrod has a career 4.50 era in his 10 starts at the major league level, with a WHIP of 1.39, and 57 hits against in 56 IP. He pretty much screams average. Certainly nothing as bad as being made out here.

It doesn't make sense to have to bring another reliever in for a month, and then yo-yo Santiago between starting and the pen, along with having to potentially reset everyone in the pen once Santiago gets back there. Would you put the new pitcher into Santiago's role? Would you move everyone up a spot in the pen, and keep the extra reliever at the bottom of the list, only to bump everyone else back when Danks returns and kicks Santiago out of the rotation?

Well I personally don't think Danks will be making many starts in the first half of the season anyway. At least not in Chicago.

He needs to take as much time as possible to get that shoulder right and going every fifth day in Charlotte will be the best option. Let him get knocked around down there till June or July... once he's dominant in AAA then he can come back to Chicago in a position to help the Sox win. But I think it will take him more than a handful of starts to ge the kinks out.

If it was 2 starts, fine have Axe go out there and get rocked, but I don't think it will be. That's why I want Santiago in there. I think he gives them a better chance.