how would YOU fix the sox attendance woes?

ewokpelts

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
I might consider season tix if all this is true.

I kinda doubt the Sox would release all this detailed info if it wasn't true. I mean, people would start calling about buying tickets and plans, and find it was a ruse... that would be horrible for business.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
I might consider season tix if all this is true.

It's legit. I was talking to my rep yesterday, and they said not all prices are set, but they are serious about the overall reductions.

One thing to remember that this info was sent to current STH accounts. More info will come as they try to bring in new clients.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
With construction next year, the Sox needed to do something drastic to get people to come to games. I guess this will help, but we'll have to see.
The green line 35th stop will run both green and red lines next year, so the impact of the cta work is not as severe. And Rahm-Bo is hiring as ton of bus drivers to operate the shuttle buses next year

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
It might be a MLB game is close to the pricing of NFL and NBA. I could see a family holding on to their $ to buy NFL or NBA tickets.

The bottom dollar ticket to see the Colts in the RCA dome was $15, while a center field seat for a Sox-Twins game was $25. It could be that baseball is starting to become over priced entertainment.

unfair comparison. the $15 colts tickets is in the worst part of the stadium, while the sox outfield seats have virtually no obstructions. An upper reserve ticket for a sox game in 2008(the last year the colts were in the hoosier dome) was $17.

oh, and how many of those $15 tickets were there really? for a team with peyton manning that was a perennial playoff team(and recent SB champ)

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
unfair comparison. the $15 colts tickets is in the worst part of the stadium, while the sox outfield seats have virtually no obstructions. An upper reserve ticket for a sox game in 2008(the last year the colts were in the hoosier dome) was $17.

oh, and how many of those $15 tickets were there really? for a team with peyton manning that was a perennial playoff team(and recent SB champ)

Still, you're talking about a team that has 8 home games, not 81.

A big takeaway from the Sox Market Research was that 70% of fans would rather watch the game on TV rather than go to the ballpark and that this ratio has basically flipped since 20 years ago when 70% said they'd rather go to the game. wow. tough crowd.

Another big conclusion was no one said they werent going to the games because they didnt think the team was any good or werent winning. So much for that commonly-posted theory that if Sox win then fans will come.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201...cket-price-cuts

QUOTE (champs2005 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Another big conclusion was no one said they werent going to the games because they didnt think the team was any good or werent winning. So much for that commonly-posted theory that if Sox win then fans will come.

We've been over this but here's the cliff notes version:

Expectations for the team were low at the beginning of the season thus the season ticket base was low.

"Winning" means post-season appearances, not jut spending a few months in first place and crashing at the end of the season.

It will take a few years of consistent winning to really build the season ticket base up and thus the attendance numbers. It's not going to happen overnight or even within a few months.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
We've been over this but here's the cliff notes version:

Expectations for the team were low at the beginning of the season thus the season ticket base was low.

"Winning" means post-season appearances, not jut spending a few months in first place and crashing at the end of the season.

It will take a few years of consistent winning to really build the season ticket base up and thus the attendance numbers. It's not going to happen overnight or even within a few months.

Your statements are not backed up by the market research. Winning is not correlated with more attendance for the Sox. Period. This is new information. I urge everyone here to stop accepting as Gospel the theory that if the Sox win (no matter for how long they win) the fans will come to the ballpark in droves. The market researchers talked to more than 8,000 fans and this theory was proven false.

QUOTE (champs2005 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
Your statements are not backed up by the market research. Winning is not correlated with more attendance for the Sox. Period. This is new information. I urge everyone here to stop accepting as Gospel the theory that if the Sox win (no matter for how long they win) the fans will come to the ballpark in droves. The market researchers talked to more than 8,000 fans and this theory was proven false.

Explain 2006 attendance.

QUOTE (champs2005 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
A big takeaway from the Sox Market Research was that 70% of fans would rather watch the game on TV rather than go to the ballpark and that this ratio has basically flipped since 20 years ago when 70% said they'd rather go to the game. wow. tough crowd.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201...cket-price-cuts

That's because they conducted the survey when the Sox were in first place. See what the same fans would say if they did the survey in June of 2007. Finances would still be an issue, but they would mention the bad team. The good news is enough went right this year to stop another big drop in season ticket accounts.

It is pretty interesting people would rather stay home and listen to Hawk. Reading this board, I was under the impression Hawk scares everyone away. I do wonder how much that turnaround has to to with HDTV. You can get really nice TVs pretty cheap these days and also nice sound.

Edited by Dick Allen

never mind 2006 or 2007 guys, we are living in 2012 and the 2013 season is being planned for. The market research reflects what fans think NOW. You dont plan 2013 for what fans thought 6 years ago.

We can argue all we want, but rest assured that Brooks Boyer and the Sox brain trust now will NOT assume that more people will show up if the Sox win. They have to create strategies that get people to show up. And they are doing this. Like they built Bacardi in the Park. Like they built that Metra station stop. Now they are finally cutting parking and ticket prices.

Of course the GM and that staff want to get good players and we fans want the team to win. But honestly we all must stop repeating this mantra of if "they win they will come" because it isnt true. Especially in light of the fact that 70% of current fans would rather watch the games at home. OMG that is a horrible stat.

QUOTE (champs2005 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
never mind 2006 or 2007 guys, we are living in 2012 and the 2013 season is being planned for. The market research reflects what fans think NOW. You dont plan 2013 for what fans thought 6 years ago.

We can argue all we want, but rest assured that Brooks Boyer and the Sox brain trust now will NOT assume that more people will show up if the Sox win. They have to create strategies that get people to show up. And they are doing this. Like they built Bacardi in the Park. Like they built that Metra station stop. Now they are finally cutting parking and ticket prices.

Of course the GM and that staff want to get good players and we fans want the team to win. But honestly we all must stop repeating this mantra of if "they win they will come" because it isnt true. Especially in light of the fact that 70% of current fans would rather watch the games at home. OMG that is a horrible stat.

Market research is based on what fans SAY, which is not always what they DO. Don't get me wrong, that data is very interesting, and I am sure Brooks et al are taking it into account (as they should). I am also sure that there is a definite belief in that crowd, again as there should be, that winning also helps draw fans. The economy has changed since 2006, but for the most part, the game has not changed much. Winning is a very real part of the equation, and it amazing to me that you'd think it wasn't a factor. Not THE factor, but A factor.

LOL, so you just throw really recent history to the side. Ignorant.

Tickets are too expensive. We get that. But part of it is it's too expensive for what product?

You're delusional if you think winning doesn't have anything to do with it. And I'm talking winning with consecutive playoffs appearances, etc.

We can argue all we want, but rest assured that Brooks Boyer and the Sox brain trust now will NOT assume that more people will show up if the Sox win.

That's just ignorant.

We had nearly 30,000 for that make-up game against Detroit on 9/17. Then they proceeded to go on a 1-5 road trip. I'd bet my house that if they went 5-1 and came back home with more than a 1 game lead they would've hit 30,000 a few more times.

Had they won the division they would have certainly passed the attendance total of 2011.

But they didn't.

Finishing the season in 2nd place with 85 wins ≠ winning.

Edited by Iwritecode

The survey occurred in the last 3 months. Most of that time the team was in first place. It would be kind of hard for them to say they aren't going to the games because the team isn't winning. The reality is, if the Sox won the WS last year, season tickets wouldn't have dropped, people would have bought packages to assure themselves playoff tickets and the survey would never have occurred. If you think winning doesn't matter with White Sox attendance, I think you are way off. The problem is, they had a pricing system in place this season that made not finding a code or trying to buy tickets within a week of a game, make the cost of attending a game ridiculous.

Edited by Dick Allen

You're kidding yourself if you don't think postseason runs boost attendance. You don't need market research to show that. The actual data bears it out.

That said, we didn't go to the postseason this year, so that obviously won't give us a boost in 2013.

Within a season, yeah, winning usually doesn't boost attendance that quickly.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
You're kidding yourself if you don't think postseason runs boost attendance. You don't need market research to show that. The actual data bears it out.

That said, we didn't go to the postseason this year, so that obviously won't give us a boost in 2013.

No, but the new price structure should help, plus I don't think there will be a mass exit of season ticket accounts, which drive attendance.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
We had nearly 30,000 for that make-up game against Detroit on 9/17. Then they proceeded to go on a 1-5 road trip. I'd bet my house that if they went 5-1 and came back home with more than a 1 game lead they would've hit 30,000 a few more times.

I was at that game, no way there was 30k there. They had 30k tickets sold, but the attendance was more in the 17k range. Most of the uppers were empty, and I was sitting behind home in a row with 6 people.

It sounded like 30k though, one of the best games all season that I was at.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
No, but the new price structure should help, plus I don't think there will be a mass exit of season ticket accounts, which drive attendance.

Yeah, I tend to think this will get a decent net increase in season tickets. Many of the holders from 2012 (probably almost all) plunked down deposits for playoff tickets, which makes them very likely to stay anyway. Now you lower prices, not only dissuading those few others from jumping ship, but probably bringing in some new people. The more they market the cheaper prices, the more new folks. I'd be surprised if the total season ticket holder base didn't go up by Opening Day 2013.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
This is another data point that makes me think the economy is going to get worse before it gets better.

um... what? You think the Sox have some sort of perternatural knowledge of where the economy is going, that others don't?

This from the guy who thinks KW is an idiot, but somehow you think the Sox marketing guys can outduel the world's elite economists.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
um... what? You think the Sox have some sort of perternatural knowledge of where the economy is going, that others don't?

This from the guy who thinks KW is an idiot, but somehow you think the Sox marketing guys can outduel the world's elite economists.

You think the marketing guy is now an economist? The White Sox are an extremely well run business from a financial standpoint.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
Still, you're talking about a team that has 8 home games, not 81.

then the indy market is worse than i thought. if you cant sell 8 games without $15 tickets, in an environment where one of the all time great QBs won you a super bowl, then i dont know what to say.

but the original argument still holds. the guy talking about the colts $15 tickets used a bad sight line area to compare to sox outfield seats, which are pretty popular. hence their higher cost.

apples to oranges.