how would YOU fix the sox attendance woes?

ewokpelts

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
With all due respect, that narrative is purposefully narrow-minded. The team was in first place for 75% of the season. At that time no one was saying anything about the 7th best team in the AL, or whatever they were. They were talking about the first place White Sox.

What is an acceptable season attendance number for 2012.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
The attendance is an issue only as far as payroll is included. Other than that, I could care less. It is lazy media and Cub fans desperate for something.

And as far as payroll goes, they won more games the year after the cut ~$30M.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
They are going to need to get more people to the park, but keep in mind, starting in 2014, their TV money more than doubles from Fox, ESPN and Turner. They will be pulling in over $50 million a year from them. Its not entirely out of the realm of possibility the Sox have a higher payroll than most imagine in coming years.

Sorry to respond late on this, but... what is this referring to? Why are the Sox suddenly going to get $50M more dollars A YEAR from those networks? And how are the other teams effected?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
Sorry to respond late on this, but... what is this referring to? Why are the Sox suddenly going to get $50M more dollars A YEAR from those networks? And how are the other teams effected?

They just extended the network TV contracts 8 years at more than double what they were getting. Every team is going to be bringing in an extra $25 million or more starting in 2014. The total for 8 years for the network contracts is 12,400,000,000. I divided by 8 and by 30 for the yearly figure. They will get 51,666,666.67 a year from these contracts alone. From what I read, they had been getting about $25 million. Salaries will be jumping.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
They just extended the network TV contracts 8 years at more than double what they were getting. Every team is going to be bringing in an extra $25 million or more starting in 2014. The total for 8 years for the network contracts is 12,400,000,000. I divided by 8 and by 30 for the yearly figure. They will get 51,666,666.67 a year from these contracts alone. From what I read, they had been getting about $25 million. Salaries will be jumping.

Interesting. Helps them financially, but since all the teams are getting equal dollars (right?) more or less, it doesn't change competitive stance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
It is just going to mean salary inflation.

Yes. Though, now that I think about it... if the amount of money is going to be basically the same for ALL teams, then this actually benefits the smaller market teams more than the larger market teams. $50M a year for the Royals is like doubling their payroll. For the Yankees, its nice, but not a huge difference maker.

It will but it will mean the Sox have some money to throw around. Not every team will be spending the money. I don't know if the luxury tax goes any higher. The Yankees are cutting payroll this year. Some of these teams, especially the big spenders, may have already spent it . Some other teams probably don't spend it anyways. It probably is one reason Loria paid Ozzie not to manage.

Edited by Dick Allen

not every team spends that tv money. look at the royals.

some teams use tv money to pay down debt.

for the sox, it means that ticket revenue is not as important in 2014-2021. and when the LOCAL TV deal expires(the real moneymaker), then you may see even more cash coming into 333 w. 35th st.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
It will but it will mean the Sox have some money to throw around. Not every team will be spending the money. I don't know if the luxury tax goes any higher. The Yankees are cutting payroll this year. Some of these teams, especially the big spenders, may have already spent it . Some other teams probably don't spend it anyways. It probably is one reason Loria paid Ozzie not to manage.
luxury tax goes up every year.

as for the marlins, they have a stadium where they will actually make money in(they made almost no money at joe robbe stadium).

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
heard some rumblings that the sox have a LOT more to announce price wise. no details, but you'll like it.....

I think the price slashing will help a lot. Didn't somebody say parking is now 20 bucks even?

I have said all year, and will continue to say that what's killing Sox attendance is how damn expensive the games are. I can't imagine being parents and having to take kids to games--unless it was a once-a-year proposition.

The first clue to this was about mid-season when it was noted that TV and radio ratings for the Sox were actually UP but attendance was just pitiful.

Hello!

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
I have said all year, and will continue to say that what's killing Sox attendance is how damn expensive the games are. I can't imagine being parents and having to take kids to games--unless it was a once-a-year proposition.

The first clue to this was about mid-season when it was noted that TV and radio ratings for the Sox were actually UP but attendance was just pitiful.

Hello!

good thing they LOWERED prices for next year

I always thought it would be cool if you could use your ticket to enter a raffle for memorabilia or future tickets. Each game you go to enters you into a raffle where some memorabilia and tickets or suites are raffled off.

What if you went to a game, used your ticket to enter a raffle with these prizes being raffled off for each game:

- 30 Autographed Balls (one by each white sox player and coach there that game) - Cost - $240 ($8/ball)

- 5 Autugraphed Bats used in batting practice - Cost - $250 ($50/bat)

- 10 4 Packs of tickets to be used for future weekday games - Cost - $0

- 1 Suite for a weekday game (no food/drink) - Cost - $0

I think that would be an incentive for me to go to a game if I was wavering. What do you guys think?

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
I always thought it would be cool if you could use your ticket to enter a raffle for memorabilia or future tickets. Each game you go to enters you into a raffle where some memorabilia and tickets or suites are raffled off.

What if you went to a game, used your ticket to enter a raffle with these prizes being raffled off for each game:

- 30 Autographed Balls (one by each white sox player and coach there that game) - Cost - $240 ($8/ball)

- 5 Autugraphed Bats used in batting practice - Cost - $250 ($50/bat)

- 10 4 Packs of tickets to be used for future weekday games - Cost - $0

- 1 Suite for a weekday game (no food/drink) - Cost - $0

I think that would be an incentive for me to go to a game if I was wavering. What do you guys think?

I don't think that would get me to the park. I do think it's a great idea to recruit a ton of kids to be future Sox fans.

I attended 10 games in 2012.

My reason for not attending more?

I live in the VERY far south suburbs right off I-55. On a good night I can be to the Cell in 40 minutes. On a bad night it can take 120 minutes.

The unexpected traffic tie-ups have forced me to turn going to a game into a major production.

I can no longer get off work, grab the family and roll to a game on a Tuesday night with work/school on Wednesday morning. I've gotta take off work early, the kid's schedule needs to be cleared the next day etc.

I know that "traffic" always will happen, and always has, but I just do not think it used to be this bad and especially this unpredictable.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
I attended 10 games in 2012.

My reason for not attending more?

I live in the VERY far south suburbs right off I-55. On a good night I can be to the Cell in 40 minutes. On a bad night it can take 120 minutes.

The unexpected traffic tie-ups have forced me to turn going to a game into a major production.

I can no longer get off work, grab the family and roll to a game on a Tuesday night with work/school on Wednesday morning. I've gotta take off work early, the kid's schedule needs to be cleared the next day etc.

I know that "traffic" always will happen, and always has, but I just do not think it used to be this bad and especially this unpredictable.

They have games on weekends too.