how would YOU fix the sox attendance woes?

ewokpelts

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
You think the marketing guy is now an economist? The White Sox are an extremely well run business from a financial standpoint.

But they're doing it at the expense of expanding the fanbase.

They're squeezing all the money they can out of the remaining diehards.

Finally, they realized (and it might be too late if we don't win in 2013, '14, '15) that they needed to try to bring some of the fans they've lost since 2006-07 back into the fold somehow.

That's not how more model franchises like the Cardinals (or even the Tigers, compared to us) operate. Since the World Series, they squandered 90% of the inroads that could have been made to capitalize on that championship...and this at a time when the Cubs were cratering and finally rebuilding.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact is since 2005 prices have gone up. Supply and Demand. My World Series Parking pass was $15 in 2005. $20 is a easier to stomach then $23/$25 per game.

I like the moves they are making. Bill Veck always had the philosophy of getting the fans in the park & I think they are going in that direction.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 02:57 AM)
But they're doing it at the expense of expanding the fanbase.

They're squeezing all the money they can out of the remaining diehards.

Finally, they realized (and it might be too late if we don't win in 2013, '14, '15) that they needed to try to bring some of the fans they've lost since 2006-07 back into the fold somehow.

That's not how more model franchises like the Cardinals (or even the Tigers, compared to us) operate. Since the World Series, they squandered 90% of the inroads that could have been made to capitalize on that championship...and this at a time when the Cubs were cratering and finally rebuilding.

That is what's sad. We won the WS and I think EVERYBODY was pretty hopeful it would be the start of something special on the South Side. It turned out to be nothing but a glorious one year wonder period.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 06:48 AM)
Fact is since 2005 prices have gone up. Supply and Demand. My World Series Parking pass was $15 in 2005. $20 is a easier to stomach then $23/$25 per game.

I like the moves they are making. Bill Veck always had the philosophy of getting the fans in the park & I think they are going in that direction.

Let's hope this is a great start. And it's Veeck as in Wreck.

Edited by greg775

Pretty good article, did some good research and comparisons.

I realize TM has to make money, but the fees are indeed outrageous. Not only is there a processing fee, but also a convenience fee. It's like the Seinfeld episode with a finder's fee, key fee, etc.

Seems a bit much for it to cost like $9 to order tickets online. And if you want to print them yourself? We'll charge you more for that too. As a % of the ticket you're already paying for, it can be ridiculously high.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
Pretty good article, did some good research and comparisons.

I realize TM has to make money, but the fees are indeed outrageous. Not only is there a processing fee, but also a convenience fee. It's like the Seinfeld episode with a finder's fee, key fee, etc.

Seems a bit much for it to cost like $9 to order tickets online. And if you want to print them yourself? We'll charge you more for that too. As a % of the ticket you're already paying for, it can be ridiculously high.

I read an article last summer which was really interesting. Ticketmaster's fees vary from team to team. What they charge for White Sox tickets is higher than what they charge for most other teams.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
You think the marketing guy is now an economist? The White Sox are an extremely well run business from a financial standpoint.

Your post said you thought the Sox ticket prices were somehow an indicator of a future economic downturn. How does that make any sense whatsoever? If it doesn't, then stop trolling.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
Your post said you thought the Sox ticket prices were somehow an indicator of a future economic downturn. How does that make any sense whatsoever? If it doesn't, then stop trolling.

It's not good news for the economy that the most common response in these surveys was "too expensive." The drastic cut in ticket prices is another data point that things are going to get worse before they get better economically.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
It's not good news for the economy that the most common response in these surveys was "too expensive." The drastic cut in ticket prices is another data point that things are going to get worse before they get better economically.

Except that other team's attendance actually went up. And that dropping prices on a product is not uncommon at any time. And that baseball as a whole is "too expensive" for many people, and if other teams did similar surveys, would probably find the same responses from people as to why they don't go more often. And that you are taking the actions of one baseball team and extrapolating it to the entire economy. Other than that, your point makes sense.

Who knows what the economy will do in the next year or two, I certainly don't, and neither do you. Also, neither do the Sox.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)

People still have price discrimination, even in great economies, and...especially with average teams.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Except that other team's attendance actually went up. And that dropping prices on a product is not uncommon at any time. And that baseball as a whole is "too expensive" for many people, and if other teams did similar surveys, would probably find the same responses from people as to why they don't go more often. And that you are taking the actions of one baseball team and extrapolating it to the entire economy. Other than that, your point makes sense.

Who knows what the economy will do in the next year or two, I certainly don't, and neither do you. Also, neither do the Sox.

It was a throw away post, but if you want to keep the back and forth going . . . the Sox have a much better idea where the economy is heading than you or me.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
It was a throw away post, but if you want to keep the back and forth going . . . the Sox have a much better idea where the economy is heading than you or me.

If dropping their ticket prices is a sure sign of impending economic doom, how do you explain their ticket policies when the economy took its biggest dip since the Great Depression?

They want to appeal to people and have finally decided to take major steps for that to happen. If White Sox ticket prices determine when you buy and sell stocks, while its probably as legit as many trading programs out there, it hardly makes any sense.

People need to remember "too expensive" doesn't always mean "can't afford".

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
It was a throw away post

That's why you posted 2 more times defending it? If you're going to make a bad post, at least stand behind it.

Don't come back 3 days later basically saying you didn't really mean it. And then continue defending it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
Not necessarily. Even a cursory study of economics will reveal widely different philosophies and the accompanying differences in predictive models. Not only that but it was a weak comeback. Stand by your post or admit you made a mistake. We all make mistakes on message boards.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Not necessarily. Even a cursory study of economics will reveal widely different philosophies and the accompanying differences in predictive models. Not only that but it was a weak comeback. Stand by your post or admit you made a mistake. We all make mistakes on message boards.

What mistake did I make? In my view, the Sox cutting ticket prices is another data point that the economy will get worse before it gets better.

Sex sells.....I'd say some T n A would help get some more butts in the seats. Look at what the Blackhawks did adding in those scantily clad ice girls. They do it right in Latin American Baseball. We need to import these girls and get rid of the ones we have. Put them on the dugouts and on the centerfield concourse........and there you go, problem solved. I'm serious, let's do this Brooks

Get rid of the bands they have outside the main gate and the gate across the street. Unless the contract is huge, get rid of the guys offering vacations outside of the park.

Leave the Pirates of the Carribean video at the beginning and keep "Thunderstruck." It's a little loud but that intro gets fans pumped up and on their feet before the game. Some of the promotions are crap during the game, and the handouts before the game aren't as worth it (save for the $1 off Aldi's milk).

I hate Thunderstruck and most of the crap music they play during the game. So much of it is old and stale. And too loud as well.

I say start fresh with the in-game music and tone it down. So what if some die-hards get offended. The Sox need to make NEW fans and all these tired old crap songs from the oldies bin are not appealing to new fans.

Except for "Let's Go White Sox" by Captain Tubby of course. That is great!

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:46 AM)
Get rid of the bands they have outside the main gate and the gate across the street. Unless the contract is huge, get rid of the guys offering vacations outside of the park.

Leave the Pirates of the Carribean video at the beginning and keep "Thunderstruck." It's a little loud but that intro gets fans pumped up and on their feet before the game. Some of the promotions are crap during the game, and the handouts before the game aren't as worth it (save for the $1 off Aldi's milk).

That will solve the attendance woes?

No one thing in and of itself short of cutting ticket prices in half will solve attendance woes. It will take a comprehensive approach and a bunch of little and big things together.

Here is my thinking on changing the music and noise level: If a fan comes to a game and has fun (win or lose they dont care) that fan will come back. If they freshen up the music and have a new intro or other little things like this it can appeal to new fans. Because they aint attracting any of 'em with what they are doing now.

How about giving away Sox ear plugs when that Thunderstruck comes on and the guy starts "singing" like a cat with its tail stepped on. Or when Konerko's Metallica walk up music comes on or when r-o-w-d-i-e starts playing or when the fan-o-meter appears? Ditch all that s#it...it is so old and tired!

Here is my thinking on changing the music and noise level: If a fan comes to a game and has fun (win or lose they dont care) that fan will come back. If they freshen up the music and have a new intro or other little things like this it can appeal to new fans. Because they aint attracting any of 'em with what they are doing now.

Are there really fans who think this way? Not once have I based going to sporting events on crap like that. It's pretty much, cost, convenience, and how good the team is.

Give away more free stuff, as in tonight Section 112, Row 8 wins free hot dogs. Section 532, Row 15 wins club level seats to a future game. Section 351, Row 2 wins a lap dance from a Chevy Pride Crew girl (OK, maybe that one won't work, but it would get me to more games).

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Sex sells.....I'd say some T n A would help get some more butts in the seats. Look at what the Blackhawks did adding in those scantily clad ice girls. They do it right in Latin American Baseball. We need to import these girls and get rid of the ones we have. Put them on the dugouts and on the centerfield concourse........and there you go, problem solved. I'm serious, let's do this Brooks

And of course in the first video you posted the stadium is half empty.

And the chicks in the second video, meh.