how would YOU fix the sox attendance woes?

ewokpelts

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
It's all good (news).

Even dropping parking from 23 to 20 is smart. You flip them a 20 dollar bill; what's with the extra 3 bucks?

Now the Sox should publicize all this A LOT. Forget marketing slogans; just talk about prices; even compare them to Cubs prices if they have to, but get the word out. Maybe even a mass mailing to anybody who has ever bought a ticket that they have on file. It should be all over their webpage as well all offseason.

If this means Morel is the starting 3B, that's a bit scary, as almost nobody has any confidence he's the long-term solution at this point.

About a week ago, one would have guessed that Peavy was 90% likely to be gone, Youkilis around 65-75% and AJ 50/50, probably.

Would the ownership group keep the payroll the same, or venture into possible deficit territory...? That hasn't been their modus operandi, except coming into the 2011 season.

Trading Dunn and Rios, bringing in the likes of A-Rod or Ichiro, those are marketing ploys and Sox fans are WAY smarter than that.

There's also the issue that at this point, you'd have to figure the Tigers have a pretty good chance to win the World Series. They'd be 2 time defending AL Central Division champions...adding Victor Martinez as the full-time DH, adding Alburquerque for a full season (he or Villarreal or even Coke would be in play as possible closers, or they simply spend money to acquire another one), and even if they lost Sanchez based on the end of his season, they're going to be able to replace him with Drew Smyly, whose numbers are much better than any 5th starter on 25+ MLB teams.

Just looking at Peavy/Youk/AJ/Dunn/Rios/Ramirez/Floyd/Thornton/Crain, there's a pretty good chance at least 4 of them are gone, if not 5.

Sure, they will be replaced. But we're still closer to competing in 2014 or 2015 (Marty's position for a long time) than 2013. I think it was Southsider who argued they could or should be a favorite to win the AL Central, and there's the flip side argument (we all witnessed it firsthand in 2006) that it would be better were the Tigers to win the whole thing, which would push their pitching staff to the limit in additional innings pitched as well as removing some of their incentive for 2013. However, them winning might help the Sox on the field, but it won't help to boost offseason motivation for the fanbase to buy into what's likely going to happen on the field in 2013. Surely, the Tigers will be picked by 45 out of 45 pundits to repeat as AL Central champions.

Our two best hitting prospects (after Viciedo) in Carlos Sanchez and Trayce Thompson are at least 3-4 months away from being ready, arguably.

Starting pitching is unlikely to be better than last year (swapping Danks for Peavy), Quintana possible regression, Santiago as a starter vs. reliever, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
If this means Morel is the starting 3B, that's a bit scary, as almost nobody has any confidence he's the long-term solution at this point.

About a week ago, one would have guessed that Peavy was 90% likely to be gone, Youkilis around 65-75% and AJ 50/50, probably.

Would the ownership group keep the payroll the same, or venture into possible deficit territory...? That hasn't been their modus operandi, except coming into the 2011 season.

Trading Dunn and Rios, bringing in the likes of A-Rod or Ichiro, those are marketing ploys and Sox fans are WAY smarter than that.

There's also the issue that at this point, you'd have to figure the Tigers have a pretty good chance to win the World Series. They'd be 2 time defending AL Central Division champions...adding Victor Martinez as the full-time DH, adding Alburquerque for a full season (he or Villarreal or even Coke would be in play as possible closers, or they simply spend money to acquire another one), and even if they lost Sanchez based on the end of his season, they're going to be able to replace him with Drew Smyly, whose numbers are much better than any 5th starter on 25+ MLB teams.

Just looking at Peavy/Youk/AJ/Dunn/Rios/Ramirez/Floyd/Thornton/Crain, there's a pretty good chance at least 4 of them are gone, if not 5.

Sure, they will be replaced. But we're still closer to competing in 2014 or 2015 (Marty's position for a long time) than 2013. I think it was Southsider who argued they could or should be a favorite to win the AL Central, and there's the flip side argument (we all witnessed it firsthand in 2006) that it would be better were the Tigers to win the whole thing, which would push their pitching staff to the limit in additional innings pitched as well as removing some of their incentive for 2013. However, them winning might help the Sox on the field, but it won't help to boost offseason motivation for the fanbase to buy into what's likely going to happen on the field in 2013. Surely, the Tigers will be picked by 45 out of 45 pundits to repeat as AL Central champions.

Our two best hitting prospects (after Viciedo) in Carlos Sanchez and Trayce Thompson are at least 3-4 months away from being ready, arguably.

Starting pitching is unlikely to be better than last year (swapping Danks for Peavy), Quintana possible regression, Santiago as a starter vs. reliever, etc.

Peavy 90% to be gone? I'd guess the opposite. The dude really likes it here, and he has shown that he fight hard to stay somewhere he likes.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
The prices changes are not for seats that were sold anyway so this really will have little affect on the bottom line. The good seats are still expensive. If the Whte Sox thought that this would negatively impact the bottom line, they would not be doing it.

? There are about 5,000 that are not getting decreased albeit the most expensive seats. It still effects about 20,000 seats sold per game in 2012, plus $3-5 a vehicle. Its a significant drop. If the team doesn't lose 90 games, the string of years of declining attendance will be OVA.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
It's all good (news).

Even dropping parking from 23 to 20 is smart. You flip them a 20 dollar bill; what's with the extra 3 bucks?

Now the Sox should publicize all this A LOT. Forget marketing slogans; just talk about prices; even compare them to Cubs prices if they have to, but get the word out. Maybe even a mass mailing to anybody who has ever bought a ticket that they have on file. It should be all over their webpage as well all offseason.

They should definitely start publicizing the lower prices now. Those couple of bucks here and there make a difference.

I'm not sure the lower ticket prices point towards a significantly lower payroll. I still imagine a payroll similar to last year's, but I certainly don't expect them to add much. I could see Peavy and AJ returning on multi-year deals. I still doubt Youk's option will be picked up, and I don't expect him to sign for much less. As far as Rios and/or Dunn being traded? I doubt it, but if one were to be traded, I'd expect it to be Rios.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
They should definitely start publicizing the lower prices now. Those couple of bucks here and there make a difference.

The 2013 White Sox: We're a cheap date

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
:headbang

That's a pretty big deal. Not only getting rid of the dynamic pricing nonsense, but now it looks like games will be just one price, other than Opening Day and Cubs. Interesting.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
The prices changes are not for seats that were sold anyway so this really will have little affect on the bottom line. The good seats are still expensive. If the Whte Sox thought that this would negatively impact the bottom line, they would not be doing it.

This makes no sense to me. Seats that were sold anyway? They are lowering nearly all the season ticket prices. How are these changes not for seats "sold anyway"? Besides, invoices for the final amounts for 2013 season tickets are still a few months away, so no seats are truly "sold anyway".

This is a business gamble. If they sell the same number of tickets, revenue will go down. If on the other hand they think this will get significantly more butts in the seats, then they could break even oer perhaps even make more money. Furthermore, this could help stave off what would have been further losses in season ticket base.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
IMO, the Sox have officially taken care of enough of the fans' complaints. Affordable tickets can be had without jumping through hoops, or going on Monday, the seats are green. They built a bar. I really think this new ticket scale will start a trend in the right direction.

Ya but reinsdorf is "still raking in the dough". Until he goes bankrupt, that same portion of the base will not be happy.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
Parking should not be more than the seats. However, this may succeed in selling more 7 and 10 type game packages. They heard us

20 bucks is still a lot, but 23 was offensive. You had to not only pop out a 20 but three ones? What a joke.

I was thinking about season tickets but at last year's prices I would have to be in the 500's and I'm not honestly willing to shell out a big chunk of cash to be quarantined in the upper atmosphere.

But $730 bleachers? The Sox may have just lowered into my price range with a product I like. This is going to attract a ton of young fans with s***ty jobs and college kids home for the summer ($7 upper reserved is dirt cheap). Love this, great news.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
I was thinking about season tickets but at last year's prices I would have to be in the 500's and I'm not honestly willing to shell out a big chunk of cash to be quarantined in the upper atmosphere.

But $730 bleachers? The Sox may have just lowered into my price range with a product I like. This is going to attract a ton of young fans with s***ty jobs and college kids home for the summer ($7 upper reserved is dirt cheap). Love this, great news.

The $730 was in regards to how much the price will drop, not overall cost for season tickets.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
I'm bad at math.

I think the price is going to be $700 and that was a typo or bad grammar.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201...-prices-in-2013

4 bleachers for $2800 season, 2800/4 = 700.

If you read it again it says $2800 less for 4, not actual price for 4. They said upper reserved are $810 for season's, no way bleacher seats are $9 a ticket for an entire season. If they are sign me up though, even if I can't make a lot of the games.

I applaud the Sox for these changes, they literally are spot on with them.

Lowered Parking

Threw away dynamic pricing

Lowered seat prices that weren't selling

Kept seat prices that were selling relatively the same

This sets them up to minimize risk (losing profits on already popular seats), while maximizing revenue out of seats that aren't in demand and getting people to the park to spend money on concessions, apparel, and parking.

All while making themselves look like they are taking a hit and are complying to fan needs.

Pure brilliance.

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Oct 14, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
Could it be that baseball is just not that popular at the moment? Maybe it's not about the money, because even the cheap tickets aren't getting sold.

I think popularity in sports goes around in cycles, and maybe in a few years, MLB will be all the talk at the water cooler. Right now it's all about the NFL.

The casual fan just isn't watching baseball right now. One of the main reasons is because the epic rivalries of recent years have lost their spark due to some teams falling into oblivion. The Cubs/Sox crosstown rivalry is non-existent at the moment because Cubs fans are in hiding.. and likewise, the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is non-existent due to Saux fans in hiding. The casual fans aren't hearing the trash-talking and are evidently finding other things to occupy their time.

It might be a MLB game is close to the pricing of NFL and NBA. I could see a family holding on to their $ to buy NFL or NBA tickets.

The bottom dollar ticket to see the Colts in the RCA dome was $15, while a center field seat for a Sox-Twins game was $25. It could be that baseball is starting to become over priced entertainment.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
I applaud the Sox for these changes, they literally are spot on with them.

Lowered Parking

Threw away dynamic pricing

Lowered seat prices that weren't selling

Kept seat prices that were selling relatively the same

This sets them up to minimize risk (losing profits on already popular seats), while maximizing revenue out of seats that aren't in demand and getting people to the park to spend money on concessions, apparel, and parking.

All while making themselves look like they are taking a hit and are complying to fan needs.

Pure brilliance.

With construction next year, the Sox needed to do something drastic to get people to come to games. I guess this will help, but we'll have to see.