how would YOU fix the sox attendance woes?

ewokpelts

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
jon greenberg ‏@espnchijon

White Sox being more aggressive this year, with single-game tix in corners going for $20 and upper corners for $7. Parking down to $20.

That's a start. Still think the parking should be available as part of packages for discounts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Not enough LOL icons in the world.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
jon greenberg ‏@espnchijon

White Sox being more aggressive this year, with single-game tix in corners going for $20 and upper corners for $7. Parking down to $20.

Is there a press conf going on or something? Why the sudden flood of info from the Sox on this?

I wonder what they will do with season ticket prices.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
Is there a press conf going on or something? Why the sudden flood of info from the Sox on this?

I wonder what they will do with season ticket prices.

Judging by the tweets, I am guessing a press release to the Sox beat reporters.

Also...

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Cheaper season ticket options as well.

They are being smart. The more season ticket packages they sell, the more single game tickets they will sell if the team is halfway successful. Hopefully, they will also step away from Dynamic Pricing.

The more empty seats someone sees on television, the less likely they are to buy a ticket even if the team is playing well.

Full-Season Ticket Packages:

Outfield Reserved - Dropping 30%

Bleachers - Dropping 32%

Premium Upper Box - Dropping 17%

Upper Box - Dropping 28%

Upper Reserved - Dropping 17%

The one thing to wonder is does this mean they are dropping payroll by the same percentage or higher?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
They are being smart. The more season ticket packages they sell, the more single game tickets they will sell if the team is halfway successful. Hopefully, they will also step away from Dynamic Pricing.

The more empty seats someone sees on television, the less likely they are to buy a ticket even if the team is playing well.

Full-Season Ticket Packages:

Outfield Reserved - Dropping 30%

Bleachers - Dropping 32%

Premium Upper Box - Dropping 17%

Upper Box - Dropping 28%

Upper Reserved - Dropping 17%

The one thing to wonder is does this mean they are dropping payroll by the same percentage or higher?

Are those official numbers? Where did you see that?

And yeah, this probably means it is unlikely the team will increase payroll, or even keep it the same this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
I guess we will find out if prices really did keep fans from the park or if they will find another excuse to not attend games.

Well, there is one other factor that is going to be a big detriment to them next year: the Red Line construction. The 35th street station will be closed for some period of weeks or months during the summer next year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
Well, there is one other factor that is going to be a big detriment to them next year: the Red Line construction. The 35th street station will be closed for some period of weeks or months during the summer next year.

This doesn't really/shouldn't really do much. The Red Line is running on the Green Line tracks, which is an extra 2 minute walk.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
This doesn't really/shouldn't really do much. The Red Line is running on the Green Line tracks, which is an extra 2 minute walk.

Not everyone is aware of that, especially if one doesn't ride the CTA very often. The Sox would be well served to have some kind of advertising campaign to inform people of the Green Line option.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Not everyone is aware of that, especially if one doesn't ride the CTA very often. The Sox would be well served to have some kind of advertising campaign to inform people of the Green Line option.

Until 1991 or 1992, the stop that will be in play next year was the actual Red Line stop at 35th street.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
I guess we will find out if prices really did keep fans from the park or if they will find another excuse to not attend games.

It will also depend on what off-season moves are made and what direction they decide to take with the team next year.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
It will also depend on what off-season moves are made and what direction they decide to take with the team next year.
I think Kenny "officially" moving upstairs will help, as there were plenty of people I spoke with this year that wanted him gone more than Guillen.

I think fans will see a "change" in style under Hahn, and my get excited.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
I think Kenny "officially" moving upstairs will help, as there were plenty of people I spoke with this year that wanted him gone more than Guillen.

Has this been made official yet? Everything I read still refers to KW as the GM and Hahn as the asst GM.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)

And whoever those people are, they probably aren't very observant, and I think that out of respect for them and their families we as Sox fans should refuse to acknowledge their former opinions as they have quite obviously been proven so wrong that it would be cruel and borderline inhuman to continue to point out their mistakes in opinion.

Also, if Hahn was indeed behind the Nestor Molina move, so far that leaves him with a big 0-for-1 which should of course excite no one.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
Has this been made official yet? Everything I read still refers to KW as the GM and Hahn as the asst GM.

IIRC it was Heyman that broke this. Kenny seems to like his national guys more than some of the local ones so it looks pretty likely coming from such a solid source.

Either way, we shouldn't expect an announcement until after the WS when the offseason officially begins.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
IIRC it was Heyman that broke this. Kenny seems to like his national guys more than some of the local ones so it looks pretty likely coming from such a solid source.

Either way, we shouldn't expect an announcement until after the WS when the offseason officially begins.

Bob Nightengale had it first.

Yes, it will be made official after the World Series.

I guess with the ticket prices slashing, we will probably see a lot of the payroll cut as well.. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox traded Dunn & Rios, while AJ & Peavy days in a Sox uniform are over.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
I guess with the ticket prices slashing, we will probably see a lot of the payroll cut as well.. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox traded Dunn & Rios, while AJ & Peavy days in a Sox uniform are over.

I think the days of a $60M payroll are gone. I wouldn't be shocked to see all of what you mentioned happen, but if it does, we'll be landing some free agents.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 18, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)

Man, that would be so awesome. Trade Alexei while they're at it.

I'm not kidding.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...mp;feedID=10338

White Sox to reduce ticket prices

October 18, 2012, 11:53 am

The White Sox announced Thursday they will lower prices for tickets and parking after they fell below 2 million fans for the first time since 2004.

The team detailed in an email that 87 percent of 2013 season ticket prices would be reduced or stay the same as last season’s prices. The highest planned drop is in the outfield bleachers, where season ticket prices will drop as much as 32 percent, or up to $731 per ticket.

The team also announced upper reserve season tickets will go for as little as $810 ($10 per game) and said it will offer individual game $7 upper reserve and $20 lower reserve tickets ---- about 5,000 seats combined ---- for all but three home games in 2013.

Brooks Boyer, the team’s senior vice president of sales and marketing, said the team has eliminated prime and premier pricing.

The club also has reduced parking from $23 to $20 per game.

The team also said it will have further news regarding individual and 7- and 14-game season ticket packages this offseason.

Even though the club finished 85-77 and was in the pennant race until Game 160, the White Sox drew 1.965 million fans to U.S. Cellular Field this season. The decrease in ticket sales from 2.001 million fans in 2011 marked the sixth straight season the club has seen a decrease in attendance since a franchise-record 2.957 million fans went to U.S. Cellular in 2006, the year after the club won its first World Series title in 88 years.

It's all good (news).

Even dropping parking from 23 to 20 is smart. You flip them a 20 dollar bill; what's with the extra 3 bucks?

Now the Sox should publicize all this A LOT. Forget marketing slogans; just talk about prices; even compare them to Cubs prices if they have to, but get the word out. Maybe even a mass mailing to anybody who has ever bought a ticket that they have on file. It should be all over their webpage as well all offseason.