Hamas and Israel

StrangeSox

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Cease fire. Amazing Israel would let the US broker a ceasefire since they aren't our ally, right Kap?

They didn't. But believe the Obama propaganda if you wish.

P.S. 70,000 troops on the Gaza border had nothing to do with it, either. Just saying.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
Jewish...lawyer...joke...overload...

Yeah im quite the stereotype. :)

I do not usually bring it up, because its really not that important. But in this thread, when you have someone attacking the US-Israel relationship, I just have to wonder, what is his real purpose.

I want to know the explanation for our insistence on the "pro-Israel, f*** everyone else" foreign policy.

If you want to broker peace over there, make both sides feel like you're their friend. And maybe convince Israel to quit instigating. But more importantly, don't make it look like Israel is just the USA's little friend amongst all of our mortal enemies. It's called diplomacy and when you're doing that right, everybody is your friend.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:22 PM)
I want to know the explanation for our insistence on the "pro-Israel, f*** everyone else" foreign policy.

There are 2 main reasons.

1) Israel provides us with a strategic ally in an area that has oil.

2) Guilt over the US policies towards Jewish immigrants in WWII.

Neither of them make it right.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
There are 2 main reasons.

1) Israel provides us with a strategic ally in an area that has oil.

2) Guilt over the US policies towards Jewish immigrants in WWII.

Neither of them make it right.

I am by no means anti-Jew, but the way we talk about Israel frustrates the hell out of me. If we didn't act like we hated everyone else there because the Israelis do, we might actually have some sway on both sides of the negotiation. Our only sway with the Palestinians and all of their surrogate voices is that we might make up some evidence of nukes in their country and conquer them. If we put away our drones and told those countries that we support them, we'd start making friends. We can also do things like we did in Libya, support anti-dictator policies in a hands off way and make pro-American populaces. I know that "extremists" will probably hate America no matter what we do, but we should make their argument appear as illogical as possible by treating these mostly Muslim countries like equals internationally instead of enemies that we choose to tolerate.

The first thing we need to accept is that there is nothing that the US can do.

This is about religion and a stupid piece of land that 3 religions claim as theirs. There is no solution, because the fanatics will never agree.

How can you convince a Jew to give up rebuilding the temple? The only possible way their Messiah will return?

How can you convince a Muslim to allow the Jews to tear down the Dome of the Rock, in order to rebuild their temple?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:49 PM)
The first thing we need to accept is that there is nothing that the US can do.

This is about religion and a stupid piece of land that 3 religions claim as theirs. There is no solution, because the fanatics will never agree.

How can you convince a Jew to give up rebuilding the temple? The only possible way their Messiah will return?

How can you convince a Muslim to allow the Jews to tear down the Dome of the Rock, in order to rebuild their temple?

Well someone can either just deal with things as they are and break the problem into two separate countries. The alternative is fight to the death and I'd like to tell the Jewish community that they're outnumbered 17 million to 1 billion and their "greatest friend" the USA is unlikely to involve themselves in a World War over the issue.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
Well someone can either just deal with things as they are and break the problem into two separate countries. The alternative is fight to the death and I'd like to tell the Jewish community that they're outnumbered 17 million to 1 billion and their "greatest friend" the USA is unlikely to involve themselves in a World War over the issue.

As I explained, you cant just split it into 2 countries, because thats not what this is about. Its about a very specific piece of land for the Jews, where the original temple and second temple were built. It just so happens that after the second temple was burnt down, the Christians built the "Temple Mount" on top of the site. After the Christians lost Jerusalem, the Muslims then turned Temple Mount into Rock of the Dome (which I believe is considered the 3rd most holy Muslim site.)

Your point about the US is exactly right. While I welcome the fact that we are in a brief moment of history when someone is actually supporting the Jews, I have no doubt that one day that may not always be true. In fact many Jews are very suspicious of the "help" they receive and what the ulterior motives are behind it. For 60 years the Jews have received support, thats a drop in the bucket compared to thousands of years of being persecuted.

Lets be clear though. I dont like how the Israelis treat Palestinians. I believe it goes against everything that being Jewish is. That being said, its hard to be compassionate when their leaders repeatedly state that they want to murder me just because thousands of years ago my relatives happened to be Jewish.

The part you dont seem to realize is that many Jews believe that they are always fighting to the death for their right to survive.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
As I explained, you cant just split it into 2 countries, because thats not what this is about. Its about a very specific piece of land for the Jews, where the original temple and second temple were built. It just so happens that after the second temple was burnt down, the Christians built the "Temple Mount" on top of the site. After the Christians lost Jerusalem, the Muslims then turned Temple Mount into Rock of the Dome (which I believe is considered the 3rd most holy Muslim site.)

Your point about the US is exactly right. While I welcome the fact that we are in a brief moment of history when someone is actually supporting the Jews, I have no doubt that one day that may not always be true. In fact many Jews are very suspicious of the "help" they receive and what the ulterior motives are behind it. For 60 years the Jews have received support, thats a drop in the bucket compared to thousands of years of being persecuted.

Lets be clear though. I dont like how the Israelis treat Palestinians. I believe it goes against everything that being Jewish is. That being said, its hard to be compassionate when their leaders repeatedly state that they want to murder me just because thousands of years ago my relatives happened to be Jewish.

The part you dont seem to realize is that many Jews believe that they are always fighting to the death for their right to survive.

They need to arrange for that piece of land to be shared, basically. Or perhaps self-governed, even. Like the Vatican with a personality disorder.

I don't think Muslim-Jew relations need to be this bad. If someone can soften on Jerusalem enough to accept the status quo (nothing getting torn down). Neither religion really calls for this level of intolerance. I actually know more about Islam, but parts of the Qu'Ran even talk about Jews and Christians getting into Heaven and how you shouldn't be bothered by other people living their lives the way they wish. I don't know how some of these things got lost in translation, but every religion does it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
Jerusalem is shared right now.

But the Jews want to rebuild the temple so that the Messiah can come, that is the whole point of the entire religion. It has to be built in an exact location.

You keep thinking this is a rational discussion. Its not, its insanity.

Is this an opinion shared by ALL Jews?

No idea, I have never taken a poll.

But in my opinion the entire religion is built around the messiah, etc, so its really important to them.

They have been b****ing about this temple for thousands of years. It was destroyed twice. That is how infatuated they are with it.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
No idea, I have never taken a poll.

But in my opinion the entire religion is built around the messiah, etc, so its really important to them.

They have been b****ing about this temple for thousands of years. It was destroyed twice. That is how infatuated they are with it.

I didn't realize how important that plot of land was. I was just asking (re: poll) if it is only a particular denomination (or whatever equivalent term) that is so keen on this particular issue.

I knew what you meant, I just wanted to say its not something that is often discussed, so I didnt want it to seem like I knew what other people thought on the issue. I also am not religious, so I dont care about it at all.

Its hard to explain. The best I got is its a Jewish version of Mecca, but its way older with much more significance. Then add in that it was destroyed twice and now another religion has a Mosque on it.

Its a really bad situation.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
Its hard to explain. The best I got is its a Jewish version of Mecca, but its way older with much more significance. Then add in that it was destroyed twice and now another religion has a Mosque on it.

hahaha. nice.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
I knew what you meant, I just wanted to say its not something that is often discussed, so I didnt want it to seem like I knew what other people thought on the issue. I also am not religious, so I dont care about it at all.

Its a really bad situation.

Best way to describe it is a clusterf***.

The holiest site in all of Judaism (the Foundation Stone) is located in the Dome on the Rock. Hell, it IS the Rock.

Jews can't go to their holiest spot because it's literally covered by a Mosque.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
Best way to describe it is a clusterf***.

The holiest site in all of Judaism (the Foundation Stone) is located in the Dome on the Rock. Hell, it IS the Rock.

Jews can't go to their holiest spot because it's literally covered by a Mosque.

It sounds so funny until you remember all the dying and stuff and how we gave one side of that argument nukes.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
It sounds so funny until you remember all the dying and stuff and how we gave one side of that argument nukes.

My suggestion would be let each religion select a champion, then they fight to the death for it.