White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
Dislike of a player from his years on another club absolutely cannot stop you from doing what is best for the team.

We don't know if there is a move, or what other possible moves would be out there.

But it is pretty messed up to hate a guy forever because of HRs he hit against us. The entire point would be to add him and then he'd be on YOUR team. Problem solved

Except there is a way too large of a chance that Dayan Viciedo outproduces Jason Kubel next year. It is almost certain that in the next 3-5 years, you'll get more production from Dayan at a much lower price. I don't hate Jason Kubel at all, but I would hate it if we got him under the premise that he is better for our team now and in the future than Dayan.

If we have to move Dayan for some other impact player, then sure, fill that hole with Kubel if need be.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
FWIW...Talks progressing for a guy that's been on the short wishlist lately. Conflicting make up concerns but when healthy, dude can slug and plays the game KW "tough". Deal has a good chance as of yesterday. Some risk but could be an impact move. Corresponding move(s) likely required which is the hold up.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Why are we so insistent on speculating about OF'ers? I have to think that that is the last place we're looking -- unless we have a corresponding deal for a current OF'er for a position of greater need.

If there's any truth behind what bucket said then an OFer makes sense.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
If there's any truth behind what bucket said then an OFer makes sense.

It's certainly a possibility, but the generic "corresponding move" could just as easily be salary related.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
It's certainly a possibility, but the generic "corresponding move" could just as easily be salary related.

That would be my guess.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say the Sox have a pretty good idea of what they want to do. And I don't think moving Viciedo elsewhere is necessarily going to be a problem because he's an easily movable piece with value, so if some team acquiring him in a package wants to flip him for a pitcher or something along those lines, they can easily do that.

I think you are looking at Floyd and/or Thornton in this instance, just to free up some money by trading a couple players the Sox, though they like, feel are movable and are making too much. In said deal or deals, you want to make sure you are getting the right value for a player as opposed to just selling them off for spare parts because there are still quite a few teams who would take a shot on Gavin Floyd and/or Matt Thornton at full cost monetarily if cost personnel wise was dirt cheap.

Also, there may be a few other pieces on the free agent market that need to fall still too.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
Sounds like Jason Kubel IMO

If Dayan and DeAza are on the table (especially in deals for prospects) then we have enough to get him, and he'd make sense in LF.

Otherwise, if it's the "wanted for 5 years guy" I will guess Markakis. I looked at his contract & he's due $15M for 2013-14 with a $17M club option or $2M buyout. If the O's are thinking about moving him I bet the Sox are in on it.

Kubel and Bauer = I like.

I'm bored.

List of LH, possibly impact bat, has had health problems (or just missed a decent amount of games, I didn't look in to injuries).....

Nick Markakis

Jacoby Ellsbury

Brett Gardner

Adam Lind

Chase Utley

Shin-Soo Choo

Mat Gamel (My guess)

Pedro Alvarez

Jed Lowrie

John Jaso

Jason Kubel

Tyler Colvin

Logan Morrison

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
Oh, and I can't believe the Rangers are offering up Mike Olt for R.A. Dickey. s***, I think we could easily make a Floyd package as good as a 38-year-old knuckleballer with an unpredictable future.

That's insane. Dickey does have a longer shelf life though, being a knuckleballer and all.

Quickly going to answer my own questions:

In 2007, Morrison batted .267 with 24 home runs, 86 RBIs, 71 runs scored, and 22 Doubles in 128 games played. He was named a South Atlantic League Mid-Season All-Star.

In 2008, Morrison batted .332 with 13 HR, 74 RBIs, and 38 doubles for the Class High A Jupiter Hammerheads. He led the entire Florida State League in batting average (.332), hits (162), doubles (38) & OB% (.402). His 241 total bases was good for 2nd best in the Florida State League. He finished 4th in the Florida State League in AB’s (488), 4th in OPS (.896), 5th in SLG% (.494), 6th in RBI (74), 7th in runs (71), 8th in HR (13) & 9th in BB (57). Morrison led the Jupiter Hammerheads in Games, AB’s, Runs, Batting Average, OB%, Triples, Walks, Total Bases, Doubles, OB%, OPS, and SLG%.

A broken bone in his right thumb limited Morrison to 79 games at Double-A in 2009, where he batted .277 with 8 HR, 47 RBIs, and 18 doubles.

per wiki

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)
Did he rake in the minors?

I will agree that his first season in the pros was really good, it was also the only season when he was healthy. Not sure if I'm willing to say when healthy he can rake. Has he proven himself enough?

Morrison's got a good bat. I'm willing to say last year was an anomaly. He didn't get along with Ozzie and got hurt. Plus the team sucked.

I thought he was alright in 2011 with the bat, although I expected better. He did slump towards the end of the year. The thing I'm worried about is his defense. He's an awful defender in the OF. He'll probably get moved to 1B in a few years.

FWIW, Bill James projects a .256/.347/.460 line for Morrison with 23 homers in 628 PA. If he plays at the Cell, I'd expect the power numbers to go up a little.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 12:48 AM)
That's insane. Dickey does have a longer shelf life though, being a knuckleballer and all.

Yeah, but I'd trust Gavin holding up over Dickey. And Dickey has seen 2 decent years, and 1 great year last season. 3 out of Gavin's last 4 years have been real solid season, unfortunately, his worst was his most recent.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:54 PM)
Morrison's got a good bat. I'm willing to say last year was an anomaly. He didn't get along with Ozzie and got hurt. Plus the team sucked.

I thought he was alright in 2011 with the bat, although I expected better. He did slump towards the end of the year. The thing I'm worried about is his defense. He's an awful defender in the OF. He'll probably get moved to 1B in a few years.

Maybe I can like him afterall... Looks like he's a solid hitter when healthy.

Edited by justBLAZE