Keppinger to Sox 3 yr deal

dmbjeff

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
He only played 50 games at third base last year?

I'm not liking this move.

He was pretty good during those 50 games though. All he needs to be is average defensively. If he puts up his career offensive #s, he'll be an average 3B, which is very well worth the $4 million we're paying him.

He's not an ideal #2, but he's a much better fit for that spot right now than anyone else we have. I like the deal.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
so what was his injury a couple weeks ago? is it anything to worry about?

He fell and broke his fibula. It's not a major break he should be ready for ST. It probably priced him down a few million. With the year he had last year and the 3B market the way it is, he could have gotten 3 and $18 million.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
If you use advanced fielding metrics as one should, with as large a sample as possible, Keppinger has negative ratings. Rogers used them incorrectly, picking a small 50-game sample which is unreliable.

UZR of 3.9 over 1110 innings at 3B in his career. That's acceptable and almost a full season's worth of sample size.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
‏@jaysonst

Useless Jeff Keppinger info: 3 players have more xbh & BBs than strikeouts since '07: Pujols, Pedroia & Jeff Keppinger.

Useless but encouraging info.. esp for our offense and their K rate compared to walks

CF De Aza L

3B Keppinger R

DH Dunn L

1B Konerko R

RF Rios R

LF Viciedo R

SS Ramirez R

C Flowers R

2B Beckham R

Meh...but acceptable. Getting A.J. back would be really nice. The bottom of the lineup is far too right handed. Maybe a move down to 5 for Dunn would balance out the lineup more.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
‏@jaysonst

Useless Jeff Keppinger info: 3 players have more xbh & BBs than strikeouts since '07: Pujols, Pedroia & Jeff Keppinger.

Nice offset for Dunn. Adam strikes out enough for 2 or 3 players as it is.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
He fell and broke his fibula. It's not a major break he should be ready for ST. It probably priced him down a few million. With the year he had last year and the 3B market the way it is, he could have gotten 3 and $18 million.

That's a nothing injury as long as the ankle wasn't dislocated, which it wasn't. You really don't even need the fibula. It's often used for bone grafts. There is no worry about this injury.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
UZR of 3.9 over 1110 innings at 3B in his career. That's acceptable and almost a full season's worth of sample size.

You need more than one season for reliability. Combine the career 3B rating with negative ratings at all other infield positions. Same result over at B-R.com with defensive runs saved method. He's below average defensively.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Most of that comes from his SS days. He probably doesn't have the range to be a SS.

Yes, true. Probably not a 2B either, for those suggesting Beckham may be on the block. I think, as it stands, Keppiner is the every day guy with Morel as a late-inning defensive replacement and occasional starter. If Hannahan gets signed, I'm guessing Morel stays in the minors.

You need more than one season for reliability. Combine the career 3B rating with negative ratings at all other infield positions. Same result over at B-R.com with defensive runs saved method. He's below average defensively.

I would rely more on one season's worth of numbers at the position he's going to play over career numbers at positions he isn't going to play.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)

I get that, but I'm not sure it's fair to say he's a bad defensive 3B just because he's a bad defensive SS and 2B. There's a huge difference in the demands of the positions, specifically range.

I get that, but I'm not sure it's fair to say he's a bad defensive 3B just because he's a bad defensive SS and 2B. There's a huge difference in the demands of the positions, specifically range.

It's fair to do if you're trying very had to trash a Rick Hahn signing and can't find any other reason.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
I would rely more on one season's worth of numbers at the position he's going to play over career numbers at positions he isn't going to play.

Normally, that makes sense. But UZR is a statistic that really requires a major sample to be reliable as a measure of true talent, and the things it measures (range, arm, etc.) can be a decent proxy for skills that transfer to similar positions.

But, your overall point is true -- he'll be a much better 3B than MI, I just don't think the UZR numbers from 50 games at third do much to support that in this case.

Here are these links, in case you missed my last post on the previous page:

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/defense/uzr/

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...;position=2B/SS