Baseball Manager Online (Soxtalk League)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
Yeah, the only reason I was requesting people to give an NL alternative as in the event we had 15 or 16 people sign up right away, but since participation has been slow so far, I doubt it will matter. HOWEVER, I have plans for what we might do with those NL teams, so I still want pick to chose an alternative NL team as well.

Ok make sense.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else in favor of just starting this thing tonight, to get it underway? Minimum requirement needed to begin any league is 5. We currently have 6 in the league, and 7 said they would play (Waiting for Juddling to claim his team), and I am fairly certain of 1 or 2 more that are said they would play, but haven't committed yet.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
Anyone else in favor of just starting this thing tonight, to get it underway? Minimum requirement needed to begin any league is 5. We currently have 6 in the league, and 7 said they would play (Waiting for Juddling to claim his team), and I am fairly certain of 1 or 2 more that are said they would play, but haven't committed yet.

Thoughts?

Start it up.

Ok, here are the league rules.....

RULES:

No sign and trades.

----It's going to be hard to police this, but don't take advantage of the game by signing a player just to use as trade bait. If you want to sign a player to replace someone you want to trade, that's fine, but don't signing trading chips.

$15M Annual Budget Limit (Total)

----Under the "Expenses" page, you will find 3 boxes where you can put in the amount of money to want to devote to your Farm System, Scouting, and Medical Staff. To make things fair and promote parity, we are going to operate under a MAXIMUM of $15M to allocate between those 3 fields. This means you can do $10M on Farm, $3M on Scouting, $2M on Medical, or whatever you see fit, but they can only add up to $15M or LESS. Feel free to spend $0 in those 3 if you so choose.

Post all trades

----Post all trades completed in this thread. This is so we can make sure that no unfair trades are occuring. You don't need to get pre-approval of trades, just post the result of the trade. There is a dialogue that shows what the trade was and then under it will say "Trade was accepted!" or something. Just copy and paste that dialogue here. It's pretty simple, and makes sure no one is taking advantage. As Commish I DO have the power to reverse trades, and it's an annoying process (I have to individually move each player back).

Update trading block

----This isn't really a rule, but more of a suggestion. If you don't want people to continually ask if a certain amazing player is available, then give him a "RED" dot, that means he is not available. Green dot means they are on the block, and yellow means you'd listen on offers. Again, not required, but helpful, especially during the trading deadline and offseason.

No trading for newly drafted players

----Much like in real life, don't trade for a guy that was just drafted. The draft occurs right after the World Series in this game. The CPU can be taken advantage of by trading for a guy who is like a 59++++ a week after he is drafted because he hasn't had a chance to mature yet. You must wait until the following draft to acquire that player. This DOES NOT apply to human to human trades.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

Ok, now here is a big decision that needs to be decided. Trading. I have THREE options I want you guys to weigh in on.

Option #1 - Open trading

----This mean you can trade with human teams OR CPU teams. Any teams, and cash IS allowed (Up to $5M MAX to CPU teams). You would need to post every trade you make. This is a fine system if everyone is honest. I have been in a league before where CPU trading had to be turned off because human players were taking advantage of the CPU teams, leaving them with awful teams, and it really threw off the competitive balance in the league because CPU teams were losing 110+ games each year.

Option #2 - Human trades only

----This option is exactly what it sounds like. Only trades amongst human players. Any cash value can be traded. Trades still need to be posted though. It's a good option to eliminate ruining CPU competitiveness, and eliminate teams stocking up on prospects that the CPU may not value as high as it should, but obviously limits trade partners.

Option #3 - CPU feeder teams

----This option would mean you can trade freely with humans are usual, but each team is limited to only their CPU partner team to make trades. So this CPU team (an NL team) would act as a farm system of sorts for our club. While you would still have to make trades with your feeder team, you would not have to post your trades, and you could trade ANY cash value. So if you wanted to trade $15M for a prospect, you could. It's your team to make unrestricted trades with.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

I personally like Option #3 the best. I like it because 1) It is more free than just human trading, but keeps people from taking advantage of CPU teams, because its your own team to take advantage of. 2) Sometimes your draft can suck, but maybe your feeder team got an awesome pick. Now you can trade for that pick. It's like giving you double the draft picks. 3) You can dump your bad contracts on them if you can get them to agree to it. 4) It gives you someone else to root for on the other side of the playoff bracket if your team does not do well.

The one downside to this is CPU trading away your players to another CPU team, but really, you aren't STORING your prospects over there anyway, so it shouldn't really be an issue anyway, plus there is always a chance your feeder team trades for a player you want, and that adds another dynamic to it.

Reposting this to get it off the bottom of the last page....

RULES:

No sign and trades.

----It's going to be hard to police this, but don't take advantage of the game by signing a player just to use as trade bait. If you want to sign a player to replace someone you want to trade, that's fine, but don't signing trading chips.

$15M Annual Budget Limit (Total)

----Under the "Expenses" page, you will find 3 boxes where you can put in the amount of money to want to devote to your Farm System, Scouting, and Medical Staff. To make things fair and promote parity, we are going to operate under a MAXIMUM of $15M to allocate between those 3 fields. This means you can do $10M on Farm, $3M on Scouting, $2M on Medical, or whatever you see fit, but they can only add up to $15M or LESS. Feel free to spend $0 in those 3 if you so choose.

Post all trades

----Post all trades completed in this thread. This is so we can make sure that no unfair trades are occuring. You don't need to get pre-approval of trades, just post the result of the trade. There is a dialogue that shows what the trade was and then under it will say "Trade was accepted!" or something. Just copy and paste that dialogue here. It's pretty simple, and makes sure no one is taking advantage. As Commish I DO have the power to reverse trades, and it's an annoying process (I have to individually move each player back).

Update trading block

----This isn't really a rule, but more of a suggestion. If you don't want people to continually ask if a certain amazing player is available, then give him a "RED" dot, that means he is not available. Green dot means they are on the block, and yellow means you'd listen on offers. Again, not required, but helpful, especially during the trading deadline and offseason.

No trading for newly drafted players

----Much like in real life, don't trade for a guy that was just drafted. The draft occurs right after the World Series in this game. The CPU can be taken advantage of by trading for a guy who is like a 59++++ a week after he is drafted because he hasn't had a chance to mature yet. You must wait until the following draft to acquire that player. This DOES NOT apply to human to human trades.

Ok, now here is a big decision that needs to be decided. Trading. I have THREE options I want you guys to weigh in on.

Option #1 - Open trading

----This mean you can trade with human teams OR CPU teams. Any teams, and cash IS allowed (Up to $5M MAX to CPU teams). You would need to post every trade you make. This is a fine system if everyone is honest. I have been in a league before where CPU trading had to be turned off because human players were taking advantage of the CPU teams, leaving them with awful teams, and it really threw off the competitive balance in the league because CPU teams were losing 110+ games each year.

Option #2 - Human trades only

----This option is exactly what it sounds like. Only trades amongst human players. Any cash value can be traded. Trades still need to be posted though. It's a good option to eliminate ruining CPU competitiveness, and eliminate teams stocking up on prospects that the CPU may not value as high as it should, but obviously limits trade partners.

Option #3 - CPU feeder teams

----This option would mean you can trade freely with humans are usual, but each team is limited to only their CPU partner team to make trades. So this CPU team (an NL team) would act as a farm system of sorts for our club. While you would still have to make trades with your feeder team, you would not have to post your trades, and you could trade ANY cash value. So if you wanted to trade $15M for a prospect, you could. It's your team to make unrestricted trades with.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
I was interested in joining...until I noticed Joe said the rosters are from 2009.

Does this mean all stats and future performances are determined based on stats from 2009 and before?

No, it's just players are rated as they were in 2009, the game incorporates those ratings and has variables (potential, age, etc) that affects those ratings. So while you may see a young prospect that turned into a stud that was around in 2009, doesn't mean that prospect will turn into the same player as in real life because of the computer generated variables.

From what I've seen, it's just an online version of Baseball Mogul if your familiar with that at all.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
I'm distracted atm but...I'm for the option that lets us trade with any team if it's with a cpu it must be viewed by the league. Perhaps by an unbiased fellow soxtalker that doesn't have a team??

Or option #1

Well, all trades are viewed by the league anyway, except for under option #3 when you trade with your feeder team.

I'll put you down as Option #1.

So we have a 2-2 tie so far. I think I may just make an executive decision and compromise by allowing Option #1 for the entire 1st season, and then changing to Option #3 right before the start of the 2010 year. This would give everyone 1 full year to improve their teams with trades with any CPU teams, and then we'd go in to the feeder system. I don't want to have to cut off the majority of CPU teams as trading partners, but I also don't want to have to see CPU teams get raped of talent every year and have an incredibly strong human super teams. So for the time being it would allow pillaging to get your team on track.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 11:30 PM)
I was interested in joining...until I noticed Joe said the rosters are from 2009.

Does this mean all stats and future performances are determined based on stats from 2009 and before?

Essentially, yes. For instance, for the White Sox, back in 2008, Jose Martinez was a stud prospect who was still a teenager and had big potential. In real life, obviously he has faded and isn't a top prospect anymore. But in the game, Martinez will likely become a very solid major league player, because his potential is so high. Now, real life COULD occur, because Martinez COULD actually fail in the game like he did in real life, but it's not known yet.

So yes, the game exists in a world of pre 2009, but has no knowledge of future happenings. Josh Hamilton has only had 1 awesome season, and will likely be a decent CF, but not the superstar, and RA Dickey hasn't learned that knuckleball yet, and will likely never become awesome at age 37.

Haha, but you should join anyway. The season hasn't officially started yet, you haven't missed any action.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
Essentially, yes. For instance, for the White Sox, back in 2008, Jose Martinez was a stud prospect who was still a teenager and had big potential. In real life, obviously he has faded and isn't a top prospect anymore. But in the game, Martinez will likely become a very solid major league player, because his potential is so high. Now, real life COULD occur, because Martinez COULD actually fail in the game like he did in real life, but it's not known yet.

So yes, the game exists in a world of pre 2009, but has no knowledge of future happenings. Josh Hamilton has only had 1 awesome season, and will likely be a decent CF, but not the superstar, and RA Dickey hasn't learned that knuckleball yet, and will likely never become awesome at age 37.

Haha, but you should join anyway. The season hasn't officially started yet, you haven't missed any action.

So I can't trade him for 2 awesome prospects?

That's the whole reason I picked the Twins!

didnt even know he was on the twins

I signed up hours ago...even took a nap and never recieved a 'validation email' like i was supposed to. I just tried registering for the site again a few minutes ago so we'll see.

and trade wise I liked scenario # 3 myself

Edited by juddling

QUOTE (juddling @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
I signed up hours ago...even took a nap and never recieved a 'validation email' like i was supposed to. I just tried registering for the site again a few minutes ago so we'll see.

After signing up it should redirect you to a page that you can "verify" your account on, should be a button there.

QUOTE (juddling @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 11:30 PM)

I waited for the same thing to happen, apparently you don't really need one. Try just signing in now.

...or maybe i did click verify. oops...I are drunk, I wanna make a trade.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (juddling @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 12:30 AM)

It's been too long for me to remember, but others have said you don't actually get or need the email, you should just be able to sign in.

ok....i got in but i think i'm in trouble cause i can't even figure out the stupid page (wait...have I been drinking??? It has been a long day already) I can't find a way to search for the specific league. It says to use the search option but i'll be damned i don't see a search option. sigh....

ok...after many curse words and death threats my computer decided to cooperate and get me to the league. I should be all signed up and ready to go.

Edited by juddling

Alright cool. I'll go ahead and start the league then!

Just so you guys know, in terms of free agency, the players won't decide on a team until the next sim, so don't expect to sign any players tonight, because that wouldn't happen until the game sims, which will be 3 pm EST tomorrow. Also, when the FA bar is GREEN, it means the player is ready to sign a deal. Any color before that says how close they are, but aren't ready to sign.

EDIT: Bad news. I can't find an option to change the league minimum requirement. So I think we are going to have to wait for 3 more people to join. I will try to figure it out, but it appears we need 3 more people to start. So do some recruiting everyone!! Hah. Damnit.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

As I mentioned before, we will roll with OPTION #1 for the first full season + offseason. Then switch to Option #3 prior to season 2 (2010).

So feel free to trade amongst eachother, and trade rape the computer! lol. Just make sure you don't exceed the $5M trade limit I am setting, and make sure to post any completed trades here.

Ok, I figured out a quick loophole. I joined the league with another account I had made a while ago, and then once we start the league, I will boot that account. I am pretty sure a league can operate with less than the start requirement, it just has to get to that point to start, then it can drop below that number.

If anyone else is dedicated enough to make a dummy account, go for it, otherwise we can try and recruit 2 more players.