Sox seeking LH bat

joeynach

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
Probably zero.

However, with how far away we are from the Tigers at this point, is our backup or utility infielder's defense prowess really a major concern?

I still don't get why people think we are so far away from the Tigers.

We outscored them by 22 runs last year, while only allowing 6 more runs. We were pretty much even with them last year in terms of production. Honestly, if Thornton doesn't blow 10+ games and Ventura doesn't make some major rookie mistakes, we could have won the division.

And IMO the only guys who really overachieved last year were A.J., Rios, & Quintana. Dunn & Konerko sucked in the 2nd half, Ramirez had a bad year, and we didn't get much from Viciedo and Beckham. Sure, Peavy & Sale gave us excellent years, but they're both very talented pitchers. They could break down this year, but so could Verlander and the rest of the Tigers' pitching staff.

I just think the two teams are a lot closer than most people think.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)

We outscored them by 22 runs last year, while only allowing 6 more runs. We were pretty much even with them last year in terms of production. Honestly, if Thornton doesn't blow 10+ games and Ventura doesn't make some major rookie mistakes, we could have won the division.

And IMO the only guys who really overachieved last year were A.J., Rios, & Quintana. Dunn & Konerko sucked in the 2nd half, Ramirez had a bad year, and we didn't get much from Viciedo and Beckham. Sure, Peavy & Sale gave us excellent years, but they're both very talented pitchers. They could break down this year, but so could Verlander and the rest of the Tigers' pitching staff.

The Sox need their Dunn/Rios bounceback years to hold. We're 10 months removed from relentlessly ripping these guys 24/7 here. Sox need Konerko's age to not be a problem. They added a guy in Kepp who needs his career year to repeat, just to match what Youk gave us.

Lets also not forget Peavy can't be guaranteed to be that same rock as last year, nor are we sure what we'll get from John Danks.

As far off years that could return to the mean, we basically have Alexei and that's it.

There are plenty of reasons to feel big change is still needed. Last year's team can't play for us next year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)

The Tigers were 3 games ahead of us last year, and they've added Hunter and Martinez and get a full year from Sanchez. Worst case scenario, that could make them 8+ wins better than they were last year, which means we'd have 11 games to overcome. They can also legitimately expect Peralta to have a better season than last year, possibly Avila as well.

In that worst case scenario, Danks coming back and a few guys having better years is unlikely to come anywhere close to 10 wins. So that's why people say we're far behind the Tigers, and that's plausible.

The other side of course, is that Hunter is 37 and unlikely to put up another 5 win season like he did last year, Martinez is coming off a serious injury, Cabrera is unlikely to win another triple crown, and yes, their bullpen is a bit of a weakness. They also still have the same defensive concerns they had last year. So, if the Sox get a performance out of Danks and their pitching staff, this isn't hopeless...but it could well be, if things go Detroit's way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
The Tigers were 3 games ahead of us last year, and they've added Hunter and Martinez and get a full year from Sanchez. Worst case scenario, that could make them 8+ wins better than they were last year, which means we'd have 11 games to overcome. They can also legitimately expect Peralta to have a better season than last year, possibly Avila as well.

In that worst case scenario, Danks coming back and a few guys having better years is unlikely to come anywhere close to 10 wins. So that's why people say we're far behind the Tigers, and that's plausible.

The other side of course, is that Hunter is 37 and unlikely to put up another 5 win season like he did last year, Martinez is coming off a serious injury, Cabrera is unlikely to win another triple crown, and yes, their bullpen is a bit of a weakness. They also still have the same defensive concerns they had last year. So, if the Sox get a performance out of Danks and their pitching staff, this isn't hopeless...but it could well be, if things go Detroit's way.

I don't think them winning 8 more games than last year is their worst case scenario.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
I don't think them winning 8 more games than last year is their worst case scenario.

Then you're talking about them pulling off 97+ wins. With their defense I'd struggle to see them pulling that off from that side...but their bullpen was also a big weakness for them. #10 bullpen ERA in the AL last year, despite their ballpark advantage, and they're down another man in their pen as of now (Valverde). They'll probably wind up blowing $15 million on Soriano to get their pen back to where it was last year...but that defense and bullpen isn't going to propel them to 97+ wins.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)

Worst case scenario is Scherzer's arm flies off and VMart's stable lower half is gone for good.

A likely scenario is that their infield defense is going to be awful again, their bullpen will become even more suspect and the pitching will slack a bit from WS appearances.

I'm fairly confident that we can hang with them, but an impact #3 hitter would put us over the top

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 08:55 PM)
And depending when the Tigers get those 8 or any additional wins could trigger some deadline moves by us unloading talent which would change everything

I have a feeling that after 2014 will be a true reboot if Konerko leaves after 2013. Dunn, Rios, Peavy, & Ramirez will go.

Kubel seems to make pretty good sense to me based on who's available. No reason why there's not room for him.

If none of them got injured at all (very unlikely) and playing time was split exactly evenly between Konerko, Dunn, Rios, De Aza, Viciedo, and Kubel, that would be 135 starts per player.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Kubel seems to make pretty good sense to me based on who's available. No reason why there's not room for him.

If none of them got injured at all (very unlikely) and playing time was split exactly evenly between Konerko, Dunn, Rios, De Aza, Viciedo, and Kubel, that would be 135 starts per player.

I agree, but at the right cost.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)

How is Kubel defensively? If we're looking at another DH log-jam, I'd rather avoid giving up pitching help for a team of DH's.

Kubel only makes sense if he is platooned with someone like Viciedo. He's not that good versus LHP.

The important qualification is the ability to hit 3RD vs RHP. That has to be the number one objective, because Adam Dunn, and his .200 batting average, cannot bat 3RD or 4TH.

Kubel isn't the strike out machine that Dunn is, and his OBP is respectable versus RHP. He would represent an improvement, but I'd rather see Ethier or Markakis. Of course, those guys may not be obtainable. If the Sox can get Kubel without giving up a piece of the present starting roster, I guess he'd do.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)

I'm wondering if head to head matchups mean anything or do they even out during the course of 162 games with various teams beating other teams? Detroit seemed to have no problems beating the White Sox and seems like the only team in the division capable of sustaining it for the long haul. At least it seems that way to me.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm wondering if head to head matchups mean anything or do they even out during the course of 162 games with various teams beating other teams? Detroit seemed to have no problems beating the White Sox and seems like the only team in the division capable of sustaining it for the long haul. At least it seems that way to me.

Detroit was 8-10 against Cleveland last year, that hurt them somewhat.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
Starting the season with Viciedo platooned would be terrible.

I get why you'd do it...but it seems like a "we think the division is weak and winning 1 game can make the difference" kind of move. With everything the Tigers have added this year...I'd rather see what he can do and if we can turn him into a great overall hitter.

I'd rather ad a LH hitting backup catcher, somehow. But I'll be the first to admit, I have no idea who that could be.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
Starting the season with Viciedo platooned would be terrible.

My point was that with 6 guys covering 5 positions there's a lot of playing time for everybody. PK did not play in 18 games last year and even with that time off his second half was not strong. Kubel gives time off not just to Viciedo, but Konerko and Rios as well. And he's better than a AAAA guy when/if someone hits the DL.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
My point was that with 6 guys covering 5 positions there's a lot of playing time for everybody. PK did not play in 18 games last year and even with that time off his second half was not strong. Kubel gives time off not just to Viciedo, but Konerko and Rios as well. And he's better than a AAAA guy when/if someone hits the DL.

I understood your point better than those that came in afterward wanting a LF platoon.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 10:06 PM)
Anyone think Kelly Johnson could play some third base? If so, he could be a decent buy-low low risk platooner for Keppinger and Viciedo (and pressure on Beckham).

If you sign Johnson, you might as well just platoon him and Gordon.

Except that Detroit added Torii Hunter and gets Victor Martinez back; two HUGE additions to their lineup. (The Sox "countered" those moves by adding Keppinger and subtracting AJ.). The gap between the two teams has obviously widened, (as of 12/31/2012).