2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Yeah, that's true. But would Robert actually do that to Ned? Maybe it makes more sense than I originally thought.

Robert's rage against the Targaryeans was greater than any love he had left. He lost Ned as hand for awhile because of that. I really doubt Robert would be swayed from killing Jon if he knew.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)

I don't see why Ned would have lied to his wife for all those years. And if he was really of that blood, why send him to the wall? To protect him?

Not telling anyone was probably part of the promise to Lyanna.

The more people who know about Jon's parentage, the more risk.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Yeah, that's true. But would Robert actually do that to Ned? Maybe it makes more sense than I originally thought.

Oh yeah.

Robert was engaged to Lyanna. If he found out that she was NOT kidnapped, but in fact ran off with Rhaegar AND had a lovechild with him, Robert would have lost his muhfuggin mind.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)
Oh yeah.

Robert was engaged to Lyanna. If he found out that she was NOT kidnapped, but in fact ran off with Rhaegar AND had a lovechild with him, Robert would have lost his muhfuggin mind.

Robert was pretty much a mad king in his own way. He murdered women and children because of his grief.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
My problem is I skip 75% of that old lore crap in the books to get to the good stuff. I guess that might have been a mistake.

Which is why rereading the books has been so enjoyable.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
I agree. Book 3 was the peak. Since then it's been downhill. I think that's mainly due to the fact that nothing has happened the last 2000 pages (4 and 5).

Did anyone else watch the grantland video with Andy Greenwald interviewing the two writers of the show? They were telling the story of how they sold Martin on doing the show at HBO as opposed to a movie, and apparently they spent hours and hours talking about the books and the various storylines. Martin at one point asked them who they thought was Jon Snow's mother, something that's never been brought up in the books. Apparently they answered correctly although Martin didn't really tell them they were right, he just sort of seemed happy with their answer.

Anyway, I got to looking online and the fan speculation about that is pretty off the wall. I have no idea where/how people came up with the common answer. Nor does it really make any sense to me:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jon_Snow

Jon Snow's parentage remains a mystery, as Eddard rarely spoke of the matter. When Catelyn confronted him about the rumor that Jon's mother was Ashara Dayne, Eddard would not answer.[22] Years later, when queried by Robert, he claimed that a lowborn woman named Wylla is Snow's mother.[23] Both possibilities have been mentioned by outside sources. Cersei Lannister believes his mother to be Lady Dayne[24], while Edric Dayne, who was wet-nursed by Wylla, told Arya that he and Jon are milk-brothers.[25]

According to Lord Godric Borrell, the daughter of the fisherman who tried to take Ned Stark from the Vale across the Bite to the North at the beginning of Robert's Rebellion, gave birth to Eddard Stark's bastard.[26]

Fans of the series speculate about his parentage, with a large number believing that his true parentage is likely to be Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. [27]

Completely disagree. Books 4 and 5 had tons of stuff going on if you paid attention. A dance with dragons was stellar.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
My biggest concern with GOT as a TV show (and I love the TV show) is what happens if/when they catch up to the books? Martin has apparently given the creators an idea of where the books are going in case he dies before the books are finished, but I would absolutely hate to have the show pass the timeline of the books because it takes Martin forever to finish a book.

Off topic for TV, but I thought the quality of books 4 and 5 was lower than that of the first 3.

He said he was fairly certain the show would pass him by. The winds of winter isn't out till 2014. Then another 2-3 years for the final chapter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Completely disagree. Books 4 and 5 had tons of stuff going on if you paid attention. A dance with dragons was stellar.

Meh, moving pieces. It wasn't a bore, and there were a few interesting moments, but still nothing game changing. The last 200 pages with Aegon, Dany and John were good, but that just set up the next book.

I'm sure others enjoy the newer characters more, but that's my main "problem" with his story structure - when you really don't care about certain characters, it can be a grind to get through. And for books 4 and 5 the main characters I liked were not doing much and/or were not in interesting places.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
I'm sure others enjoy the newer characters more, but that's my main "problem" with his story structure - when you really don't care about certain characters, it can be a grind to get through. And for books 4 and 5 the main characters I liked were not doing much and/or were not in interesting places.

After reading those forums, I found it bizarre how in love those people are with minor characters. There are so many characters that I couldn't identify, but they even know their back story's.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
He said he was fairly certain the show would pass him by. The winds of winter isn't out till 2014. Then another 2-3 years for the final chapter.

Considering how this book is being broken up, I think it will be at least 5 years before it catches up to him. And that is also not considering the length of any books he hasnt released or written. It will be a while before the show catches up

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
The winds of winter isn't out till 2014. Then another 2-3 years for the final chapter.

WAT

He wrote FFC and DWD at the same time. On the last page of FFC, which came out in 2005, Martin says he hopes DWD will be out "hopefully next year". It took 6 more years! Dude is slow and he's only getting slower.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
WAT

He wrote FFC and DWD at the same time. On the last page of FFC, which came out in 2005, Martin says he hopes DWD will be out "hopefully next year". It took 6 more years! Dude is slow and he's only getting slower.

And within the last few months he signed another separate deal with HBO to write new "showS".... I think he's getting tired of the GoT universe.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/02/george-rr...ame-of-thrones/

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
And within the last few months he signed another separate deal with HBO to write new "showS".... I think he's getting tired of the GoT universe.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/02/george-rr...ame-of-thrones/

Those shows are supposed to be within the GoT universe I thought? About the "prequel" Dunk and Egg stories

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
Meh, moving pieces. It wasn't a bore, and there were a few interesting moments, but still nothing game changing. The last 200 pages with Aegon, Dany and John were good, but that just set up the next book.

Completely agree. Too many throw away chapters. Too many of the main characters not doing anything. I liked the book, don't get me wrong, but not a whole lot happened relative to the books' length.

Some of that will actually play well on TV though, I think. Robb was a bigger focus in Season 2 of GOT than he was in the books (talked about offscreen more than anything in the book 2). The HBO guys are not tied to the POV character storytelling so they can beef up or reduce some of the stories that, in the books, seem to be "hey, don't forget character X is still alive. Not doing anything interesting. But still alive!"

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
Completely agree. Too many throw away chapters. Too many of the main characters not doing anything. I liked the book, don't get me wrong, but not a whole lot happened relative to the books' length.

Some of that will actually play well on TV though, I think. Robb was a bigger focus in Season 2 of GOT than he was in the books (talked about offscreen more than anything in the book 2). The HBO guys are not tied to the POV character storytelling so they can beef up or reduce some of the stories that, in the books, seem to be "hey, don't forget character X is still alive. Not doing anything interesting. But still alive!"

Yeah, a lot of it can be shortened. 400 pages of Dany talking to people/dreaming about that dude she likes screwing takes about 30 seconds of screen time. I wonder if they're going to have to add something to the story to give her character something to do.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
Kind of sucks that people post things about GOT books in a television thread. Maybe a books thread would be a better place?

It's a wildly popular television series connected to a popular and more encompassing book series. You're going to get cross conversation when stuff like that comes up. Just gonna have to deal with it