Rick Hahn

ZionrulZ

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
You could do that pretty much up and down the remaining free agents. It doesn't mean it makes sense..

False, if the Sox aren't making moves or spending cash needlessly than they aren't getting better.

Lamar is onto something, if owners have the sole purpose to put the best product out onto the field regardless of price/reason, then fans have the sole purpose to spend as much as it's required to get those players to be able to sign.

See? Simple.

You could do that pretty much up and down the remaining free agents. It doesn't mean it makes sense..

If they're better, they're better. IMO AJ Pierzynski is better than Tyler Flowers and Michael Bourne is better than Alejandro DeAza. Those are the two guys for whom I advocated.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
If they're better, they're better. IMO AJ Pierzynski is better than Tyler Flowers and Michael Bourne is better than Alejandro DeAza. Those are the two guys for whom I advocated.

That's over $20m more for next year. And it most likely won't be the difference between playoffs or not.

That's over $20m more for next year. And it most likely won't be the difference between playoffs or not.

True...but, what if they'd have "replaced" DeAza with Josh Hamilton? Would that have made the Sox contenders?

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)

And on top of that, you are looking at like 3, maybe 4 extra wins at the very most, and it's certainly possible that it ends up as a wash. When you are spending $20+ million on players, you better make damn sure it's an upgrade as opposed to making an arguable upgrade. On top of that, signing Bourn also costs the Sox their draft pick and allowance.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
True...but, what if they'd have "replaced" DeAza with Josh Hamilton? Would that have made the Sox contenders?

Josh Hamilton is not the missing piece, especially with the way he hit down the stretch last year. The Sox need major improvements from multiple players/positions or major injuries to the Tiger offense to truly hope to compete.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)

Maybe, but you're still looking at an additional $25 mill added to the payroll. And if it fails, which is a definite possibility, you are stuck with an unaffordable contract and no money to make any sort of re-signing or free agent signing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
It's worth noting that Lohse was extended a qualifying offer and turned it down, so signing him and trading Floyd would send our first-round pick to St. Louis.

I thought I read where the 2013 draft is supposed t be one of the weakest of all time. Giving up a pick might not factor.

Josh Hamilton is not the missing piece, especially with the way he hit down the stretch last year. The Sox need major improvements from multiple players/positions or major injuries to the Tiger offense to truly hope to compete.

If that's true, (and I tend to agree with you that it is!), then it's time to unload/rebuild. Try to find "takers" for Paulie, Adam, Jake, Rios, Beckham, Floyd, Thornton, etc., and build around Sale, Quintana, Viciedo, Ramirez, DeAza, and the rest of the young pitchers.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
If that's true, (and I tend to agree with you that it is!), then it's time to unload/rebuild. Try to find "takers" for Paulie, Adam, Jake, Rios, Beckham, Floyd, Thornton, etc., and build around Sale, Quintana, Viciedo, Ramirez, DeAza, and the rest of the young pitchers.

Who's coming to the games then?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
I thought I read where the 2013 draft is supposed t be one of the weakest of all time. Giving up a pick might not factor.

There have been weak classes that have been awesome and vice versa. Giving up a pick is always a factor, especially with such a weak minor league system.

I feel like we've been over this before. If you completely tear down, you are alienating the younger generation and empowering them to become Cubs fans. If the Sox were in Milwaukee or Cincinnati, they could afford to do this. They simply can't afford such a move in Chicago.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
Nobody's coming now!

We'd be dead last in attendance.

Not to mention trying to build back up to where we even are has been shown to be really tough.

This is a business, the sooner you realize that the more MLB makes sense. This is the same for most things in the world.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
We'd be dead last in attendance.

Not to mention trying to build back up to where we even are has been shown to be really tough.

This is a business, the sooner you realize that the more MLB makes sense. This is the same for most things in the world.

If this were a restaurant, you could buy all the nicest things in the world, and everybody would love your restaurant. Of course, you'd still be broke as a joke in about 6 months.

Why the extremism? There is a middle ground here. This isn't a video game. You can field a solid team, even if they aren't the world series favorites. If you trade off everyone you destroy attendance for a decade. That is just dumb.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:18 PM)
Why the extremism? There is a middle ground here. This isn't a video game. You can field a solid team, even if they aren't the world series favorites. If you trade off everyone you destroy attendance for a decade. That is just dumb.

This is an important point. The reality is that you can't build a winner in a single year -- you have to improve in increments when the opportunities present themselves.

I have no problem with Hahn being more patient than KW, esp. on the trade front. Most of the criticism KW got was that he didn't get the best value trading his players and overpaid in getting other guys in. This was mostly due to him being so aggressive, not waiting for other deals to possibly materialize.

As long as Hahn fills the holes the Sox have. If it means waiting a bit, so be it. The latest sox drafts show they understand we lack talented position players. Getting those players via trade mean having guys in the upper minors who are close to producing. The sox upper minors is very thin so that trdse route isn't an option. Or it means trading guys who have value-Viciedo, Rios, Floyd. Few free agents this year would have been guys to build around, that made long term sense. Bourn may have been close but not with the lost pick, and extra years going into his mid 30's.

Changing the talent level of the sox position players won't happen overnight. Hahn doesn't have unlimited resources and has a thin minor league from which to deal from. Other teams aren't trading away core pieces for possible avg. major league starters. they want possible stars themselves. The sox have few of those in the minors.

Hahn has filled the holes the Sox have already. At least in terms of the major league roster.

You may not like the guys he's filled them with, but if the season started today, they can field a full roster with an obvious starter and backup at each position, a rotation 6+ deep, and a full bullpen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 08:02 AM)
Hahn has filled the holes the Sox have already. At least in terms of the major league roster.

You may not like the guys he's filled them with, but if the season started today, they can field a full roster with an obvious starter and backup at each position, a rotation 6+ deep, and a full bullpen.

Who is the backup catcher? Utility infielder?

Also, can our current roster compete with Detroit or even KC at this point? We will need multiple guys to have career years to do so. I just do not anticipate that happening. (I have been wrong before!) I would like Hahn to make a bold move. Take a risk. Its not like we have any guys on our major league roster (except Sale) that are untouchable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 08:02 AM)

Who is on the bench other than Gimminez & Wise?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
Who is the backup catcher? Utility infielder?

Also, can our current roster compete with Detroit or even KC at this point? We will need multiple guys to have career years to do so. I just do not anticipate that happening. (I have been wrong before!) I would like Hahn to make a bold move. Take a risk. Its not like we have any guys on our major league roster (except Sale) that are untouchable.

Angel Sanchez (Rule 5 draft pick) fills backup IF role, and Keppinger could step in as a utility man also if needed. Giminez is sitting as the backup catcher right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
Angel Sanchez (Rule 5 draft pick) fills backup IF role, and Keppinger could step in as a utility man also if needed. Giminez is sitting as the backup catcher right now.

Can Kepplinger start at 3rd and be a Utility player at the same time? I agree that Sanchez will probably get the shot as a back up utility guy. There has been plenty of buzz about him!

You have Joey De Michele in the system as well who is coming up quickly. I saw him in Bristol and he looked fine as a strong hitting 2B. I did not see him after he advanced, but hear that some have questioned his "polish" as a MIF. He appeared comfortable enough to me.

If that big LH Bat is till on the shopping list, it seems to me that is where I would focus.

Granted, I am a newbie with an agenda, but I think you have an upgrade with Kepplinger, and the Sox contended last year before they imploded. I would expect that the players that got us that close last season, may be capable of getting us there again.

I was pretty shocked as I watched Beckham though, his plate appearances looked terrible. Lackadaisical absent intensity with no appearance of disgust as he struck out. He appeared content to fail, which I found both odd and on a separate level encouraging.