Steubenville Rape Case

BigSqwert

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
The mother f***ing loser in that 12 minutes video is "no longer a student at the Ohio State University" as of today.

Good. If I was in college, knowing that kid was there, I would have my student judiciary that I feel like could have pushed expulsion for these things. He is a danger to the student body.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 11:08 PM)
Seriously, can't some organization from outside look into and do something? Because trusting the local authorities in this is absurd.

I heard that the girl was taken over state lines. Couldn't that make it eligible for the Feds?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
How can all of the things about the Sheriff running a drug ring and bookie operation be known and nothing done about it?

I'm assuming they are recent findings by this hacker group 'Anonymous' that just came out and haven't been explored. I'm sure there's concerns with the legality of evidence obtained by this group also but to answer your question I really don't know.

I do trust the information provided from that group though as they hacked and released the entire e-mail cache of the dude who runs the team fan site and what not and uncovered deleted tweets, instagram photos and whatever else.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out from a town wide perspective given the allegations at hand.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 11:11 PM)
I'm assuming they are recent findings by this hacker group 'Anonymous' that just came out and haven't been explored. I'm sure there's concerns with the legality of evidence obtained by this group also but to answer your question I really don't know.

I do trust the information provided from that group though as they hacked and released the entire e-mail cache of the dude who runs the team fan site and what not and uncovered deleted tweets, instagram photos and whatever else.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out from a town wide perspective given the allegations at hand.

I'm also guessing this group is also publishing hearsay as fact.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)

The site really hurt it's credibility by bringing in all the other stuff. It really sounds like they have an axe to grind about certain people instead of just bringing out the facts.

All that being said, I think they need to carpet bomb the town. It sounds like it's dirty from top to bottom.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
I'm also guessing this group is also publishing hearsay as fact.

Yes this is also very likely but also the information could still very easily be true given how easily such accusations can be suppressed in this town.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
Yes this is also very likely but also the information could still very easily be true given how easily such accusations can be suppressed in this town.

I'm not saying it isn't true, just that when you have a bunch of people telling you the stories of the town, rumors will be a part of it. This place doesn't seem like it's that big on reporting.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
I'm not saying it isn't true, just that when you have a bunch of people telling you the stories of the town, rumors will be a part of it. This place doesn't seem like it's that big on reporting.

Absolutely.

The fact that the prosecuting attorney's son is a member of the "rape crew" and discouraged pressing charges, the football coach is employed by the juvenile court system and close friends with the sheriff, and the sheriff admittedly "inadvertently" deleted evidence alone speaks to the absurd levels of corruption within the town.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Here is the good NYT piece on it, which was much more thoroughly reported.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/sports/h...?pagewanted=all

Note, that there was a local blogger that did a lot of work to keep this in the spotlight, has her name on the blog, and lives in the town taking all the heat. Takes a little more courage.

This takes alot of courage in that situation. Take her out of the town before the carpet bombing begins. As a matter of fact let her push the button.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
It's the most under-reported serious crime

As I've gotten close to many women through friendship, dating, work, etc...it is astonishing how many have been victims of some sort of sexual assault. I can think of three girls within my circle of friends that lost their virginity via rape. None of them made attempts to bring their rapists to justice. One of them doesn't have a clue who the perpetrators were. Even the assaults that aren't like the horror film depictions are often life shaping events.

Perhaps it's because I've never really gone without (humblebrag!), but it's just sex. I could never get to the point where I needed it so badly I'd be willing to force myself onto someone. In high school/college was I pushy trying to persuade a girl? Sure. But never physically. I don't understand how you can get to that point.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
Perhaps it's because I've never really gone without (humblebrag!), but it's just sex. I could never get to the point where I needed it so badly I'd be willing to force myself onto someone. In high school/college was I pushy trying to persuade a girl? Sure. But never physically. I don't understand how you can get to that point.

People are f***ed up.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Cody Saltsman sent many messages to people stating that “nobody breaks up with Cody Saltsman, Ill ruin that b****”. This was a month before the rape. A few weeks later, Saltsman’s best friend – Trent Mays started texting the victim asking her for a date and pretending to like her and telling her over and over that everyone likes her and not to worry about Cody. He finally convinced her to let him meet her at her friends house and she remembers nothing past that point. A close personal friend of the victim received pics from her at 9:30 pm, and she was smiling and happy and with her group of girlfriends. An hour later she was unconscious and being viciously gang raped.

This was a vicious, pre-meditated, vengeful gang rape, and only two of these animals have even been charted (as juveniles) with rape.

What the f***...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)

It's not really about getting the sex, it's about power and control.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
It's not really about getting the sex, it's about power and control.

My girlfriend is a therapist and she stated the same thing. For the longest time I thought that it was about sex as well. Men who rape women are simply sociopaths. The sheer irrationality that it takes to commit such a hanus act is simply mind boggling.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 01:02 AM)
Well, it's often a really hard case to try, even if there is physical evidence. A lot of times it comes down to a literal "he said, she said".

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/...intentions.html

EDIT: This was not in response to the quote above, rather a strangesox info graphic that has since come into question.

Edited by bmags