Steubenville Rape Case

BigSqwert

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like another school covering up for an athlete's rape in Michigan

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2013/04/...of-rape-victim/

According to the complaint, in 2010 the victim was sexually assaulted by a star player on the school’s basketball team. The assault took place on campus in a sound proof band room at Forest Hills Central High School. The victim notified a teacher who in turn reported the assault to the principal. But rather than open an investigation into the allegations, the principal discouraged the student and her parents from filing charges, telling them that doing so could ruin the assailant’s prospects at being recruited to play basketball for a Division 1 school. [...]

As alleged in the complaint, two weeks later another female student was sexually assaulted by the same attacker. Despite a legal obligation under Title IX to investigate the assault and protect the student, the high school officials never interviewed the girl or her parents again, failed to conduct an investigation, and for two and a half weeks left the attacker in one of her classes.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Looks like another school covering up for an athlete's rape in Michigan

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2013/04/...of-rape-victim/

Disgusting. They should really make it a crime for school officials to actively prevent/stall investigations or try and talk victims out of reporting someone. I'm surprised that girls father didn't beat the s*** out of the principal. If that was my daughter and I was being told that we should be quiet to keep a rapists scholarship options open, well, I'd probably be arrested myself.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Disgusting. They should really make it a crime for school officials to actively prevent/stall investigations or try and talk victims out of reporting someone. I'm surprised that girls father didn't beat the s*** out of the principal. If that was my daughter and I was being told that we should be quiet to keep a rapists scholarship options open, well, I'd probably be arrested myself.

Welcome to our nation's rape culture.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
Welcome to our nation's rape culture.

Only for criminals!

Reading that article, I wonder why he was able to plead to a lesser charge of misdemeanor assault and battery for two attacks. Must not have been actual rape.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
Only for criminals!

Reading that article, I wonder why he was able to plead to a lesser charge of misdemeanor assault and battery for two attacks. Must not have been actual rape.

I remember Crim Law my 1L year and learning about rape laws. We read a line of cases from the 1950s or so interpreting the word "forcible" in rape statutes (as in "forcible rape" or "forcible penetration" etc.). They were disgusting. One judge actually said something to the effect of, "Although we know the defendant was choking the alleged victim, we don't know how hard it was. It could have been light and playful. This is not enough to say she was 'forced.'" All the cases essentially said "If he didn't handcuff you to a wall and point a gun at your head first, it's not 'forcible.'"

Edited by farmteam

• 6 months later...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/25/schoo...tcmp=latestnews

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio – DEVELOPING: An Ohio school superintendent, two coaches and a principal were charged by a grand jury that investigated whether other laws were broken in the rape of a drunken 16-year-old girl, the state's attorney general said Monday.

The special grand jury convened in Steubenville had investigated whether adults like coaches or school administrators knew of the rape allegation but failed to report it as required by state law.

The charges against the superintendent, Mike McVey, include felony counts of obstructing justice, DeWine said. McVey wasn't immediately available for comment, but the district planned to issue a statement later Monday.

An elementary school principal and a strength coach are charged with failing to report possible child abuse. A former volunteer coach faces several misdemeanor charges, including making false statements and contributing to a child's delinquency.

Attorney General Mike DeWine announced the panel's creation March 17, the day a judge convicted two Steubenville high school football players of raping the West Virginia girl after an alcohol-fueled party in August 2012 following a team scrimmage. The grand jury had met on and off in the months since then.

It earlier charged the Steubenville schools' information technology director with tampering with evidence, obstructing justice, obstructing official business and perjury. The panel also indicted that man's daughter on theft and receiving stolen property charges unrelated to the rape case. Both have pleaded not guilty.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)

I would be shocked if this happened at my school and I believe it is very, very rare.

• 7 months later...