Steubenville Rape Case

BigSqwert

Timothy Burke ‏@bubbaprog

April baseball team gang rape in Steubenville allegedly involves a student who is now a prominent D-I athlete. Stay tuned...

Rated football recruits from Steubenville per rivals.com:

Najee Murray was a 2012 4-star DB who went to Ohio State

Shaquille Petteway was a 2011 3-star LB who went to West Virginia

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Rated football recruits from Steubenville per rivals.com:

Najee Murray was a 2012 4-star DB who went to Ohio State

Shaquille Petteway was a 2011 3-star LB who went to West Virginia

Sounds like they are talking about a baseball player, maybe?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
Sounds like they are talking about a baseball player, maybe?

I'd wager a lot of D-I athletes play other sports at their school in other seasons. Could be a football player who just happened to also be a member of the baseball team

I'd wager a lot of D-I athletes play other sports at their school in other seasons. Could be a football player who just happened to also be a member of the baseball team

Yeah, the tweet said "prominent" D-I athlete. College baseball players are very rarely household names and would not qualify as "prominent" so I took that to mean a D-I football or basketball player who also played baseball in HS.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
I don't blame the girl at all in all of this, but it seems like young people don't know how to drink. The goal shouldn't be to get black out drunk. Bad things happen. Cautionary tale.

Kids are dumb. I certainly didnt know the difference between moderation and blackout drunk when I was 16

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Kids are dumb. I certainly didnt know the difference between moderation and blackout drunk when I was 16

Yeah, me too.

It just seems like that's the goal now. Drink until you pass out.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Yeah, me too.

It just seems like that's the goal now. Drink until you pass out.

When you first start drinking you don't know that cut off point, it hits you faster and harder than when you're older.

There were definitely times in HS when I got extremely s***ty from drinking without ever intending to get THAT drunk, mainly because I just didn't know how my body would handle that much (was drinking rum out of a full solo cup, finished it within an hour. Needless to say I was puking in about an hour after that).

Back to the rape case, seems like they got off pretty damn easy.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
When you first start drinking you don't know that cut off point, it hits you faster and harder than when you're older.

There were definitely times in HS when I got extremely s***ty from drinking without ever intending to get THAT drunk, mainly because I just didn't know how my body would handle that much (was drinking rum out of a full solo cup, finished it within an hour. Needless to say I was puking in about an hour after that).

Back to the rape case, seems like they got off pretty damn easy.

Yup

While the articles I read didn't say it, I hope they at least have to register as sex offenders so that follows them around forever. You have 18 year old guys who had sex with their 17 year old girlfriend stuck on that list forever, it would seem that these two guys deserve to be there as well.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
While the articles I read didn't say it, I hope they at least have to register as sex offenders so that follows them around forever. You have 18 year old guys who had sex with their 17 year old girlfriend stuck on that list forever, it would seem that these two guys deserve to be there as well.

One of the articles I read said they had to register as "juvenile sex offenders." I'm not sure if that means they have only register as sex offenders until they are 21, or if they register for the rest of their lives a sex offenders who committed their crimes as juveniles.

I applaud the verdict.

I understand and agree that victims can be too drunk to consent, therefor are not responsible for their actions. Should we also have some compassion for people who are too drunk to understand the implications of their actions?

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
I applaud the verdict.

I understand and agree that victims can be too drunk to consent, therefor are not responsible for their actions. Should we also have some compassion for people who are too drunk to understand the implications of their actions?

No

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
I don't blame the girl at all in all of this, but it seems like young people don't know how to drink. The goal shouldn't be to get black out drunk. Bad things happen. Cautionary tale.

While I agree that kids don't know how to drink, as I sure as hell didn't at that age, there were plenty of situations in which I was making out with a girl at a party and she got black out drunk the same night yet I never felt inclined to, entitled to or in the right to have non-consensual sex with her. I was more interested in seeing if we could get together another night.

Not to mention the thought of filming it, laughing about it and sharing it. Talk about sick. That alone shows me these sick f***s felt untouchable and simply didn't give a damn.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
While I agree that kids don't know how to drink, as I sure as hell didn't at that age, there were plenty of situations in which I was making out with a girl at a party and she got black out drunk the same night yet I never felt inclined to, entitled to or in the right to have non-consensual sex with her. I was more interested in seeing if we could get together another night.

Not to mention the thought of filming it, laughing about it and sharing it. Talk about sick. That alone shows me these sick f***s felt untouchable and simply didn't give a damn.

Didn't they call themselves the "rape crew"? That was at least reported by whichever alternative sources initially. They know that some would look down upon what they did, but they're entitled to it anyway.