2013 Minor League Transactions

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Basto will be lucky to even be in the org next year, he certainly won't get in the way of any actual prospects. Sox not happy with him. Michalczewski not going to play SS either, he'll be at 3B most likely. I think Anderson gets the fast-mover treatment and starts at W-S, even though I personally think that's a bad idea. Danish is 50/50 to be at W-S, maybe leaning slightly in.

What happened with Basto?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
What happened with Basto?

Well, he was drafted as a shortstop. A Sox scout gave me a pretty strong indication that Basto can't actually play SS, apparently he just can't handle it. A Sox pitching prospect, who was running clipboard at a game I was at, concurred (in so far as he could do so). If the stats mean anything, he made 24 errors at SS in 2012 with Bristol, for a .892 FPct.

He also posted a .465 OPS with Kanny this year, playing 3B, and his defense in terms of FPct was actually worse (.868).

He's going to be 20 so he certainly has time, but I got the impression he's basically out of the picture now. At age 20 for next year he's too young to truly, totally give up on him. He'll likely repeat Kanny. But he's being lapped by other infielders and I think he's just not really seen as a prospect by the Sox at this point. Obviously I hope he turns it around.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
Well, he was drafted as a shortstop. A Sox scout gave me a pretty strong indication that Basto can't actually play SS, apparently he just can't handle it. A Sox pitching prospect, who was running clipboard at a game I was at, concurred (in so far as he could do so). If the stats mean anything, he made 24 errors at SS in 2012 with Bristol, for a .892 FPct.

He also posted a .465 OPS with Kanny this year, playing 3B, and his defense in terms of FPct was actually worse (.868).

He's going to be 20 so he certainly has time, but I got the impression he's basically out of the picture now. At age 20 for next year he's too young to truly, totally give up on him. He'll likely repeat Kanny. But he's being lapped by other infielders and I think he's just not really seen as a prospect by the Sox at this point. Obviously I hope he turns it around.

As do I and I think he will, I've seen a guy named Kelly Dugan in the Philly organization get drafted in the second round in 2009 and struggle until 2012 in the Sally League, patience and hard work pays off

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
As do I and I think he will, I've seen a guy named Kelly Dugan in the Philly organization get drafted in the second round in 2009 and struggle until 2012 in the Sally League, patience and hard work pays off

Dugan really only had one bad year (as a rookie in 2009), and none of his seasons offensively were nearly as bad as Basto. Also, Dugan doesn't seem to have had a problem with the glove, whereas Basto has been pretty bad on defense as well as offense. Dugan has put up season OPS's of .597, .981, .730, .857 and .858. Basto was .581 as a rookie and then .531 his second year. I don't think that is a great comparison.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
I am curious to what you find interesting about Floethe.

Guy can hit 93 with sink and has decent breaking stuff. I pay attention to any arms the Sox bring in. Odds are good it's nothing, but they can change a slot or add a pitch and suddenly they look good. Most likely, he ends up as organizational depth.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Guy can hit 93 with sink and has decent breaking stuff. I pay attention to any arms the Sox bring in. Odds are good it's nothing, but they can change a slot or add a pitch and suddenly they look good. Most likely, he ends up as organizational depth.

This. Also, he was moved up pretty quickly, might have been overwhelmed.

Probably just org depth, so when I say "interesting", I don't mean like he's T25 or something. He's got a decent pedigree, some stuff to work with, and he's still young.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)

It seems like when the Sox bring a guy into the org like this, they usually show up in Chicago at some point.

Floethe is a very interesting pickup! He is a groundball machine and has shown, when he throws strikes 3 average major league pitches. He also doesn't give up the longball very often. I can see him as a very good pick-up, nothing to lose! Alot to gain.

QUOTE (WSFan @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
Floethe is a very interesting pickup! He is a groundball machine and has shown, when he throws strikes 3 average major league pitches. He also doesn't give up the longball very often. I can see him as a very good pick-up, nothing to lose! Alot to gain.

Welcome to the board!

He is a future reliever for sure. Guys who usually don't have good peripherals like him tend to work better in the bullpen. (most see a spite across the board actually) Guy who can come in and induce a double play late in the game if he pans out.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
He is a future reliever for sure. Guys who usually don't have good peripherals like him tend to work better in the bullpen. (most see a spite across the board actually) Guy who can come in and induce a double play late in the game if he pans out.
What do you mean by Peripherals? BB/K's?

QUOTE (WSFan @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
What do you mean by Peripherals? BB/K's?

Yes. HR to some extent too. Worry less about the numbers that you do in the majors (ERA, H/9) and more about those numbers because they will paint a better picture of what kind of pitcher you have. Problem is that sometimes, especially in the minor leagues, those numbers lie.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
Yes. HR to some extent too. Worry less about the numbers that you do in the majors (ERA, H/9) and more about those numbers because they will paint a better picture of what kind of pitcher you have. Problem is that sometimes, especially in the minor leagues, those numbers lie.

Thanks for the explanation! Looking at this kids track record I think last year was him trying to do too much...especially in double A. Way too many walks for a sinker baller. That's why I was surprised Tampa gave up on him so fast, 6th rounder and just 2 1/2 years with good to very good success initially. We shall see!

QUOTE (WSFan @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
Thanks for the explanation! Looking at this kids track record I think last year was him trying to do too much...especially in double A. Way too many walks for a sinker baller. That's why I was surprised Tampa gave up on him so fast, 6th rounder and just 2 1/2 years with good to very good success initially. We shall see!

It could be any number of things. He might only be hitting 85 or 87 with his fastball; they may have been counting on him developing a secondary pitch and it didn't happen; he may be uncoachable; he may provide a poor attitude in the clubhouse otherwise; they may have been trying to clear room for spots at the AA roster and didn't have room for him on the AAA roster (Rule 5 related); he may have requested his release. Guys typically don't get released when they're that young for no reason. The fact is, we simply don't know why they released him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
It could be any number of things. He might only be hitting 85 or 87 with his fastball; they may have been counting on him developing a secondary pitch and it didn't happen; he may be uncoachable; he may provide a poor attitude in the clubhouse otherwise; they may have been trying to clear room for spots at the AA roster and didn't have room for him on the AAA roster (Rule 5 related); he may have requested his release. Guys typically don't get released when they're that young for no reason. The fact is, we simply don't know why they released him.
Seems to be a quality kid from articles and interviews! I guess we will see what he brings in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...