2013 Minor League Transactions

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 09:37 PM)
Will someone please explain why kids from St. Thomas are subject to the MLB Draft, but kids from DR and Venezuela are immediate free agents.

St. Thomas is an unincorporated territory of the United States. Players from locations under US jurisdiction/ownership/property are subject to the American First-Year Player Draft, just as players from Puerto Rico - a US Commonwealth - are subject to the First-Year Player Draft.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
Sox signed an NDFA, Dane Opel, outfielder (CF) from Mizzou. 22 years old last month, so on the younger side for a 4-year college guy. Put up good numbers at MU.

Yeah, he was one of few bright spots for the Tigers during his time there. He got off to a good start his freshman year, being a rare freshman position player to earn regular playing time, but was up and down after that. He has some power and can play respectable D. I wouldn't expect him to do enough in pro ball to become a prospect though.

What Zapata and his family did to make him an international FA is brilliant. There is SOME chance that he squandered a chance to become a first round draft pick and earn more than 1.6 million, by moving he ensured he could get that when he's 16 instead of 18 and not risk injury/prospect status dropping/etc. Still, there was probably much to be uncertain of when they made the move. Someone gave them very good advice.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
Nevermind, found it from Kanny's feed.

Basto and May promoted to Kanny too, and Barroso released.

Happy for Basto and May but f***. Those are the two guys was most anxious to see play for Great Falls next week.

• 2 weeks later...
When I first saw this on my news feed, I thought Hahn made another splashy international signing. But alas, no avail, journeyman.

His first name should have tipped you off that he was probably born in the US.