Will Coop Fix 'Em?

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
A look at some of the highly talented, but so far failed, arms that the Sox picked up recently: Reckling, Moskos, Brackman, others. And the Coop Will Fix 'Em phenomenon.

I do not know anything about anyone of these guys. Does anyone have an opinion on which of these guys have the best shot at realizing their potential?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 07:09 AM)
I do not know anything about anyone of these guys. Does anyone have an opinion on which of these guys have the best shot at realizing their potential?

Likely Reckling. Moskos went from pure power to essentially a junk pitcher, and those types just don't have a lot of success. Brackman has a ton of potential but also has a bit of Andy Sisco syndrome. Reckling's problems seem largely correctable and he could turn into a back of the rotation starter in time.

The odds really of any of them doing much is still incredibly small.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Likely Reckling. Moskos went from pure power to essentially a junk pitcher, and those types just don't have a lot of success. Brackman has a ton of potential but also has a bit of Andy Sisco syndrome. Reckling's problems seem largely correctable and he could turn into a back of the rotation starter in time.

The odds really of any of them doing much is still incredibly small.

One thing I'd keep in mind is how "Coops fixem" technique works.

Generally, he seems like he has guys dial back on the fastball as a tradeoff for improved control, or at least dial back on the wildness/tendency to overthrow the fastball. That's what I think of when I think of Floyd, that's what I think of with Thornton, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, Humber, etc. He also has had people do things like "Get rid of the cut fastball if that's causing you problems (Humber)".

The guy who strikes me as a candidate to succeed doing those type of things is Brackman. He sounds like a guy who struggles with command but still has the fastball...so he has some room to dial it down into the low to mid 90's in exchange for some control.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
Oh, and honestly, the guy I am most excited about listed in the article is Zach Stewart.

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling that Cooper really likes something about Stewart that prompted his reaquisition. Boston at least saw a little potential in him as well to have him included in the Youkilis trade last season. We shall see if the Sox can get his potential realized.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
One thing I'd keep in mind is how "Coops fixem" technique works.

Generally, he seems like he has guys dial back on the fastball as a tradeoff for improved control, or at least dial back on the wildness/tendency to overthrow the fastball. That's what I think of when I think of Floyd, that's what I think of with Thornton, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, Humber, etc. He also has had people do things like "Get rid of the cut fastball if that's causing you problems (Humber)".

The guy who strikes me as a candidate to succeed doing those type of things is Brackman. He sounds like a guy who struggles with command but still has the fastball...so he has some room to dial it down into the low to mid 90's in exchange for some control.

Cooper's biggest fix was Thornton and it had nothing to do with dialing back on his fastball. In fact, when it is down 1 or 2 MPH, people complain. In fact, I think people thinking dialing back on the fastball as something Cooper stresses is as much a fallacy as the Greg Walker lift and pull. He really stresses a consistant delivery.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
Cooper's biggest fix was Thornton and it had nothing to do with dialing back on his fastball. In fact, when it is down 1 or 2 MPH, people complain. In fact, I think people thinking dialing back on the fastball as something Cooper stresses is as much a fallacy as the Greg Walker lift and pull. He really stresses a consistant delivery.

I added an extra clause there about trying to overthrow being one of the issues with Thornton. He wasn't really gaining anything velocity-wise by doing so, but Cooper got him into that incredibly smooth motion where it doesn't seem at all like he's trying to throw that hard.

Seems like Cooper is all about fundamentals. Hear a lot about "staying tall" on the bump (EJax, Thornton, Floyd, Contreras...). I think when he sees someone who's making a fundamental error he gets excited. Of course, not all of his advice is well received (Peavy).

I like Troncoso out of this bunch only because he looked so dominant at times with the Dodgers.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 11:07 PM)
Brackman regressed from AAA to High A last summer -- and still finished with 65 hits and 42 walks in 63 innings.

He's got a better chance of making the NBA.

Odds are all of them will end up as the same busts they were before this year. The thing is if we can pull one Phil Humber out of the bunch, it is a huge win for the organization.