2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

Just thought I'd mention that Phil Humber is having an excellent spring and seems to have cinched a spot in the HOU rotation. Good for him, great guy and I hope he makes us regret losing him.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
Just thought I'd mention that Phil Humber is having an excellent spring and seems to have cinched a spot in the HOU rotation. Good for him, great guy and I hope he makes us regret losing him.

The worst team in baseball has Phil Humber & Lucas Harrell in their rotation. Not sure what that means...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 12:03 AM)
The worst team in baseball has Phil Humber & Lucas Harrell in their rotation. Not sure what that means...

It means the experts are wrong!

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)

We couldn't hold on to him after the year he had.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
So, the NFL want the Orioles to move their Thursday, September 5th game against the White Sox to the day so the Ravens can open the season that night in Baltimore.

O's in Cleveland, Sox in New York the night before.

I say f*** the NFL.

Plus it's a weekend before a big series with the Tigers, so the thought of playing a day/night doubleheader on Saturday isn't going to fly.

Tough s***, NFL. You can't always get what you want.

Not sure if anyone posted this, but the Orioles won out. Ravens will play that Thursday night opener on the road.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
We couldn't hold on to him after the year he had.

Certainly, especially with him being due arbitration $. I just like the guy. He was so bad last year after being sent to the pen. I still remember the end of that blowout game where he could not get an out and we had get Omogrosso up to get a couple out.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
Interesting to see the financials of that deal

Wells, 34, is in the sixth year of a seven-year deal worth $126 million. He is owed $21 million for each of the next two seasons, but sources said the Angels would have to absorb a substantial portion of Wells' remaining salary before the deal would be completed.

The Yankees' share of the remaining money be about $13 million over the next two seasons, sources told Olney.

link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
It was desperation for the Yankees, but they have made these kind of deals work them in the past.

How do you write that article without doing the math on whether or not they can still get under the luxury tax line next season while still keeping Cano/Granderson? That's really all that matters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)
How do you write that article without doing the math on whether or not they can still get under the luxury tax line next season while still keeping Cano/Granderson? That's really all that matters.

There is no way they made the deal without either knowing they can, or knowing that they aren't resigning one of those guys (probably Granderson).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
Not sure if anyone posted this, but the Orioles won out. Ravens will play that Thursday night opener on the road.

Glad to see MLB stick to their guns on this one. Fact of the matter is without some sort of concession from the NFL, there was literally 0 reason to move this game.

I'm willing to bet that the 2014 MLB schedule will not include home dates on September 4 for any of the following teams:

Rangers

Phillies

Tigers

Orioles

Pirates

Reds

Mariners

Cardinals

Royals

A's

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
I'm willing to bet that the 2014 MLB schedule will not include home dates on September 4 for any of the following teams:

Rangers

Phillies

Tigers

Orioles

Pirates

Reds

Mariners

Cardinals

Royals

A's

At the very least, don't schedule the first game of a 4-game series on that day. If it's the 4th game of a 4-game series, then they usually have a day game anyway.

But in this case, the Orioles and Sox had no obligation to change the start time, and I'm glad they didn't.