West Region

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
Zags could (should) play a top-10 team on Pomeroy in the second round. Veeeerrrryyy interesting.

Zags got by far the toughest 8-9 draw IMO. Pitt or WSU(I do think it will be Pitt) will definitely present Gonzaga with problems, I love this Zags team though, they'll get through me thinks.

Edited by Rowand44

As someone who hasn't really watched Notre Dame...can they guard the three? Good with dribble penetration?

ND will play almost strictly man defense. Don't give up a ton of threes and good on the boards, but Brey is coaching and it's March, so ISU should be in good shape.

Again need help picking games for a $50 entry pool. Here are the games in this reason I would like some insight on. Already saw some on ISU - ND.

Wisconsin (5) - Ole Miss (12) - I have Wisky picked but am hesitant to really believe in them when not playing Indiana. I've bashed Miss all year so I don't see myself changing my mind, but I'd love alternate thoughts.

Notre Dame (7) - Iowa State (10) - I went against ISU last year against UConn and they bit me in the ass.

Does anyone have a strong argument for the following upsets? - Boise State/LaSalle over K State? Belmont over Arizona?

Again need help picking games for a $50 entry pool. Here are the games in this reason I would like some insight on. Already saw some on ISU - ND.

Wisconsin (5) - Ole Miss (12) - I have Wisky picked but am hesitant to really believe in them when not playing Indiana. I've bashed Miss all year so I don't see myself changing my mind, but I'd love alternate thoughts.

Notre Dame (7) - Iowa State (10) - I went against ISU last year against UConn and they bit me in the ass.

Does anyone have a strong argument for the following upsets? - Boise State/LaSalle over K State? Belmont over Arizona?

Mississippi is on a roll right now, and Wisconsin's style, while very effective in the BIG, always seems to get them booted early in the tournament.

Notre Dame has a habit of losing to double digit seeds.

Oh, and I think Boise State has a chance at K-State.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 07:38 AM)
Mississippi is on a roll right now, and Wisconsin's style, while very effective in the BIG, always seems to get them booted early in the tournament.

Notre Dame has a habit of losing to double digit seeds.

Oh, and I think Boise State has a chance at K-State.

2012: Sweet 16 (4 Seed)

2011: Sweet 16 (4 Seed)

2010: 2nd Round (4 Seed)

2009: 2nd Round (12 Seed)

2008: Sweet 16 (3 Seed)

2007: 2nd Round (2 Seed)

They haven't advanced past the Sweet 16 but they don't lose in the first round either. Kind of a misleading response. I'd take Wisconsin over Ole Miss in any bracket I fill out this year.

Bo Ryan has a pretty great record in the first round, maybe as good as any coach in the NCAA tournament.

That being said you never know what can happen, but there is very little historical evidence to suggest that a Bo Ryan coached team will lose in the first round.

The only reason to take Ole Miss is that you think Henderson is going to go bananas. I guess Kenpom is pay now, but hes Wisconsin as a top 10 team based on advanced statistics. Sagarin has Wisconsin at 13.

Found some Kenpom stuff here:

He has Wisconsin as 50% chance to Sweet 16, which is higher than most 5 seeds. In fact he only has 7 teams having a better chance of making a final four than Wisconsin.

In comparison K-State the 4seed, has a 21.7% chance to Sweet 16.

Now once again anything can happen. If Ole Miss goes insane shooting, Wisconsin will lose. If Wisconsin cant shoot, Wisconsin will lose.

But I just dont see a ton of reason to believe that Ole Miss should win this game.

Ole Miss is undersized, Wisconsin will try and pound Berg/Evans down low. With those guys out there, if Dekker/Bruiser are on the court Ole Miss will have to use a guard on them. I really dont think Ole Miss will dictate pace, likely will become a half court game.

The K-State game is tougher because its in Kansas, so basically home court.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)

Relatively confident that Notre Dame has not played anyone like Iowa State. About 45% of the shots are from three and we play at a pretty high tempo at the same time.

Really all depends if either team plays defense or not.

Does Cooley have a mid-range game or is he more of a block guy? We defend guys that stay on the block a lot better than bigs that can shoot.

Relatively confident that Notre Dame has not played anyone like Iowa State. About 45% of the shots are from three and we play at a pretty high tempo at the same time.

Really all depends if either team plays defense or not.

Does Cooley have a mid-range game or is he more of a block guy? We defend guys that stay on the block a lot better than bigs that can shoot.

Cooley is a decent shooter out to about 12-13 feet, especially along the baseline. He's also an excellent offensive rebounder.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Cooley is a decent shooter out to about 12-13 feet, especially along the baseline. He's also an excellent offensive rebounder.

Yeah, expecting to give up offensive boards. Can Cooley defend the three point line? We go 5-out none-in.