Brian Urlacher Appreciation Thread

Yes, it was time to move on, but Urlacher leaves as one of the best Chicago Bears of all-time, and certainly the best since I've given a s*** about the team.

brian-urlacher.jpg

urlachervick-804x1024.jpg

chi_a_urlacher_600.jpg

brian-urlacher.jpg

Thirteen years ain't no joke in this league, fellas. I look forward to his jersey retirement and his Hall of Fame induction.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
The world is a heartless, sad place.

I figured I'd see a post like this in the Steubenville thread...not a Brian Urlacher Appreciation Thread.

He is among the elite linebackers to play for the Bears. It's just too bad he didn't win a ring.

---

Now...where is the Nick Roach appreciation thread?

Urlacher was a much better player years 4 and on (especially starting 2004), however, my favorite years were his first two. He was running around solely off of athleticism and instinct. And the plays he made were insane (though often out of position). Him chasing down some of the fastest players in the league, cutting off passing lanes, and coming out of nowhere for sacks. He was so much fun for his career.

But also there was that awful period where he was dating paris hilton and kind of sucked.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
Remember his 25 tackle game vs Arizona in 2006? Ridiculous.

I was at that game so awesome. Epitome of the Lovie/Angelo era, defense having to do anything & everything to win because of the offense's ineptitude.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
Urlacher was a much better player years 4 and on (especially starting 2004), however, my favorite years were his first two. He was running around solely off of athleticism and instinct. And the plays he made were insane (though often out of position). Him chasing down some of the fastest players in the league, cutting off passing lanes, and coming out of nowhere for sacks. He was so much fun for his career.

But also there was that awful period where he was dating paris hilton and kind of sucked.

:lol:

The same coach (Lovie Smith) that Urlacher never wanted fired is solely responsible for him being let go. The only ass that Lovie Smith ever cared about was his own and week 17 vs Minnesota in 2011-2012 season is proof of that. Urlacher played in a meaningless football game and got injured. He still had 3-4 good years left. The injury destroyed his season last year and this is his fate now. Urlacher is one of my all time favorite Bears but he is acting like a big idiot right now. If it is true that Brian is still bitter over Lovie Smith being fired then I can't blame the new coaching staff for not wanting him in the locker room.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
The same coach (Lovie Smith) that Urlacher never wanted fired is solely responsible for him being let go. The only ass that Lovie Smith ever cared about was his own and week 17 vs Minnesota in 2011-2012 season is proof of that. Urlacher played in a meaningless football game and got injured. He still had 3-4 good years left. The injury destroyed his season last year and this is his fate now. Urlacher is one of my all time favorite Bears but he is acting like a big idiot right now. If it is true that Brian is still bitter over Lovie Smith being fired then I can't blame the new coaching staff for not wanting him in the locker room.

Isn't the point of an appreciation thread is to say positive things about a player leaving our favorite team?

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
Isn't the point of an appreciation thread is to say positive things about a player leaving our favorite team?

No, you need the obligatory good players shouldn't play in meaningless games post. If that were the case, guys like Walter Payton and Frank Thomas would have spent the majority of their careers sitting down.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
That photo with Vick is fantastic.

It was the second thing I typed into Google to get picks. I had a faint memory of him blowing over the line to get Vick - I'm sure it was on the cover of the Trib and all over the web when it happened. It was in my memory and Google brought it right up.

The internet + my brain = awesome.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
No, you need the obligatory good players shouldn't play in meaningless games post. If that were the case, guys like Walter Payton and Frank Thomas would have spent the majority of their careers sitting down.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)

Why don't the Mariners shut down Felix Hernandez at the All-Star break every year? The second half of the year is completely meaningless for them, there is no point in him pitching.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
Why don't the Mariners shut down Felix Hernandez at the All-Star break every year? The second half of the year is completely meaningless for them, there is no point in him pitching.

Really??? last i checked it's a lot easier for a team to come back with half a season to go as opposed to one game left....

QUOTE (juddling @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
Really??? last i checked it's a lot easier for a team to come back with half a season to go as opposed to one game left....

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but point remains the same. You don't just bench players if you aren't gonna make the playoffs. Like Dick Allen said, Walter Payton would have 4,000 less rushing yards and Frank Thomas would have at least 100 less homers.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
Good for him anyways. This was always the best way to go out.

Good that he "gets" to retire as a Bear, yeah, but it still has to hurt his pride like hell that it comes only after being rejected by them and elsewhere. The pre-announced "farewell tour" is the best way to go, but a rare few have the foresight.