Konerko / Dunn

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
Dunn is now doing exactly what people asked him to do. He's swinging earlier in the count, trying to make more contact, and taking fewer walks.

That or there is no need to pitch around him anymore, so he isn't seeing as many balls as he used to.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
Dunn is now doing exactly what people asked him to do. He's swinging earlier in the count, trying to make more contact, and taking fewer walks.

And I was one of them. I'm just sick of the results of his plate appearances. Negatives are far outweighing the positives.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
And I was one of them. I'm just sick of the results of his plate appearances. Negatives are far outweighing the positives.

He's our punishment for mocking the Cubs for the Soriano debacle all these years. I can't stomach another '11. It's still damn early. But a month from now and he's still sucking ass? Yes. Something must be done.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
He's our punishment for mocking the Cubs for the Soriano debacle all these years. I can't stomach another '11. It's still damn early. But a month from now and he's still sucking ass? Yes. Something must be done.

I know it's early, and I wouldn't feel this way if '11 didn't happen. But it did. And I can't deal with watching another version of '11 Dunn. Just makes watching the games so un-enjoyable

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
I'm not going to get caught up in sample sizes.

LOL

Now, that was prior to the weekend, but it still applies.

Edited by Steve9347

It isn't even so much that he has to go. As I've argued for a long time now; It's just that he cannot bat in the middle of the order.

If we had a productive left handed hitter hitting clean up, it might be acceptable to have Dunn bat 6TH or 7TH.

No one seems to offer any suggestions regarding who that might be, via trade or free agency, but the Sox better find

someone quick.

In lieu of that, all we can do is hope that out of desperation, he decides to try a different approach. What he's doing obviously

doesn't work.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
It isn't even so much that he has to go. As I've argued for a long time now; It's just that he cannot bat in the middle of the order.

If we had a productive left handed hitter hitting clean up, it might be acceptable to have Dunn bat 6TH or 7TH.

No one seems to offer any suggestions regarding who that might be, via trade or free agency, but the Sox better find

someone quick.

In lieu of that, all we can do is hope that out of desperation, he decides to try a different approach. What he's doing obviously

doesn't work.

Joey Votto will work fine.

someone quick.

doesn't work.

Thats because lefthanded productive cleanup hitters dont fall out of trees. And if Sizemore fell out of a tree he would be on the DL until 2016

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)

Balta, no one asked Dunn to do what he's currently doing.

His K % rate was 35.7% in 2011, 34.2% in 2012, and is 32.6% this year.

His BB % was 15.1% in 2011, 16.2% in 2012, and is 4.3% this year.

His HR % was 2.2% in 2011, 6.3% in 2012, ans is 4.3% this year.

So he's striking out just about the same (slighty better), but instead walking and hitting home runs he's just making a lot more weak outs. Please tell me who asked for that? He's basically become a one true outcome player and unfortunately for us it's the one true outcome you don't actually want.

someone quick.

doesn't work.

There are probably no solutions this year and definitely not until the trade deadline at the earliest. For now we'll just have to hope Dunn can turn things around.

Long-term we need to address this need. Not a lot of options within the system at the moment, so it will have to be via trade or free agency. Not sure who is available next offseason.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
Balta, no one asked Dunn to do what he's currently doing.

His K % rate was 35.7% in 2011, 34.2% in 2012, and is 32.6% this year.

His BB % was 15.1% in 2011, 16.2% in 2012, and is 4.3% this year.

His HR % was 2.2% in 2011, 6.3% in 2012, ans is 4.3% this year.

So he's striking out just about the same (slighty better), but instead walking and hitting home runs he's just making a lot more weak outs. Please tell me who asked for that? He's basically become a one true outcome player and unfortunately for us it's the one true outcome you don't actually want.

Yeah, no one asked Dunn to stop hitting HR and walking while making more contact, but people regularly say they want more contact from him. Here's Ventura saying so:

“You want him to be more aggressive. For a guy like him, there is something about hitting earlier in the count instead of taking pitches that are close or just off. We’re not talking about expanding the zone and swinging and missing, you’re talking about being a little more aggressive, going out of the zone and making contact.”

Everyone seems to pretend that "Yeah, more contact from Dunn earlier in the count" would be great, when that's simply not what made him a tolerable player and a contributor to baseball teams.

When people ask for more contact from Dunn, they have to live with the consequences, and that's less power and fewer walks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Yeah, no one asked Dunn to stop hitting HR and walking while making more contact, but people regularly say they want more contact from him. Here's Ventura saying so:

“You want him to be more aggressive. For a guy like him, there is something about hitting earlier in the count instead of taking pitches that are close or just off. We’re not talking about expanding the zone and swinging and missing, you’re talking about being a little more aggressive, going out of the zone and making contact.”

Everyone seems to pretend that "Yeah, more contact from Dunn earlier in the count" would be great, when that's simply not what made him a tolerable player and a contributor to baseball teams.

When people ask for more contact from Dunn, they have to live with the consequences, and that's less power and fewer walks.

Less walks is one thing, if it turns into more home runs, but no walks is another story. I mean look at the BB rate...it's absolutely disgusting.

We signed Dunn to be a three true outcome player because that's what he is and we had a need for OBP and left-handed power. Having Dunn swing earlier and not working counts is killing his game and our offense. Manto better fix this s*** soon or we're going to be in big f***ing trouble.

summation is we need a different #4 hitter because Dunn is a one dimensional hitter. He can but don't hit to other fields he still doesn't know how to pick his pitches. he just swings as hard as he can for the bleachers sometimes he hits them the rest of the time he strikes out or weekly to an infielder. I liked Thome so much better once in a while he would go the other way but this so sad. We don't have a good left hand hitter except the one leading off to put in the fourth spot. Gillaspy might not work there but I would say if you have Rios hitting before you and konerko hitting after you are as protected as a person could be. Dunn is better suited to riding the pine.

Edited by sammy esposito

And for the love of god Robin, please move Dunn down in the lineup. I get that these players have egos and dropping a guy can hurt his confidence, but Dunn has been a blackhole batting cleanup. We can't afford to wait weeks for him to get his s*** figured out.

And if you do drop him down and he does well then you can move him right back up in the lineup. It's not like lineup changes are permanent. I'm not sure if Robin understands this based on how he handled the Morel situation last year.

The only additional contact I want from Dunn is the door hitting him in his ample rear end when we finally pay him the last pile of the wasted $56 million and we can finally move on with somebody who can do more for less.

Unfortunately that won't be for a good bit.

Until then just have to suffer through it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2783780:date=Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:52 AM:name=Jake)-->
QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
<!--quotec-->I'm not going to get caught up in sample sizes.

LOL

Now, that was prior to the weekend, but it still applies.

Just curious, what is Dunn's .obp as a member of the White Sox? Batting Average is not an accurate measure of Dunn's success. Now, the .obp is bad as well but that's the number that should be used.

And if we get what made him a tolerable player, people would care as much about contact. Problem is we haven't see that guy since 2010. Eventually you have to adjust and quit hurting your team.