Explain, por favor

Wong & Owens

OK take a look at this article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=1600663

It says that Colon and Loaiza were blocked off waivers. Does this mean the Sox actually put them on waivers, then pulled them back because soomeone claimed them? Or does this mean the Sox somehow prevented these two from being placed on waivers? Anyone got the answer? Thanks.

If someone claimed Konerko they would be stuck with him and that big contract, if the Sox don't pull him back. If someone claims Loiza the Sox pull him back, no harm no foul. If no one claims Garland, then the Sox are free to trade him for J.D. Drew. See how this works it is a major game of cat and mouse. Without knowing the exact details of a player, a team may not want to claim them, (i.e. Sullivan.) If you remember the Padres blocked Atlanta from getting that lefty a few years, they claimed him and were stuck with $9M salary from a guy that couldn't pitch, ouch. I can't remeber his name but he was with the cub.....

If someone claimed Konerko they would be stuck with him and that big contract, if the Sox don't pull him back.  If someone claims Loiza the Sox pull him back, no harm no foul.  If no one claims Garland, then the Sox are free to trade him for J.D. Drew.  See how this works it is a major game of cat and mouse.  Without knowing the exact details of a player, a team may not want to claim them, (i.e. Sullivan.)  If you remember the Padres blocked Atlanta from getting that lefty a few years, they claimed him and were stuck with $9M salary from a guy that couldn't pitch, ouch.  I can't remeber his name but he was with the cub.....

Randy Myers.

If someone claimed Konerko they would be stuck with him and that big contract, if the Sox don't pull him back.  If someone claims Loiza the Sox pull him back, no harm no foul.  If no one claims Garland, then the Sox are free to trade him for J.D. Drew.  See how this works it is a major game of cat and mouse.  Without knowing the exact details of a player, a team may not want to claim them, (i.e. Sullivan.)  If you remember the Padres blocked Atlanta from getting that lefty a few years, they claimed him and were stuck with $9M salary from a guy that couldn't pitch, ouch.  I can't remeber his name but he was with the cub.....

Mark Davis. They were trying to block a division rival from getting him and got screwed in the end on that one.

Randy Myers and it screwed the Padres for a few years. I think WU probably remembers this pretty well.

You guys say everyone is "put out to block the guys u dont want snatch up"

How do teams look at the wavier wire?? Like what are they looking at when they see it? Im just interested in how that goes on.

Don't have a clue, but I'm including that its something that gets faxed to the front office of each team.