Rebuild: So Far Better Than Could Have Hoped For

Marty34

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
White Sox fans are the only fans in MLB that get mad at their team for trying to win.

I think fans view this season as not trying to win. Resigning players, getting involved more in free agency is usually a baseball fan's definition of trying to win. They've done this in the past and seem to fail at it lately.

If they do a fire sale then it will be 100% proof. At least Marty will be happy. If they somehow get Jaun Pierre through those trades, Marty will be getting a season ticket skybox.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 28, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
I think fans view this season as not trying to win. Resigning players, getting involved more in free agency is usually a baseball fan's definition of trying to win. They've done this in the past and seem to fail at it lately.

The actions this offseason definitely were not of an organization in win-now mode, in my opinion.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 28, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)

If they do a fire sale then it will be 100% proof. At least Marty will be happy. If they somehow get Jaun Pierre through those trades, Marty will be getting a season ticket skybox.

Wow, you are full of it today. Just a word of advice leave the humor to the professionals, you aren't that good at it.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
The actions this offseason definitely were not of an organization in win-now mode, in my opinion.

It was more like "stand pat" mode, except for Peavy.

But if they really weren't going for it...at best, bringing Peavy has only succeeded in basically making us a 78-84 win team instead of a mid to low 70's team (assuming they were starting Santiago/Axelrod in that spot).

In some ways, though, it's almost like the end of last season was MORE demoralizing than not being in the pennant race all season long...it seems counter-intuitive, but it feels like "we tried our best, the Tigers were better in the end, then the Tigers seemingly went out and improved, and there's really not much we can do about it for now."

The division lead now for the Tigers is "only" 5 games, and there's a possibility we could be in 1st or near there at the end of this stretch against bad teams...but I just don't see how we can legitimately compete with them without adding to our offense. Nor do you see a realistic scenario where you can go into July trailing them by 5-6-7-8 games and make that deficit up. They aren't the 2003 Royals, doing it with smoke and mirrors, where everyone is just waiting for a collapse. And they aren't the 2008 Twins, either.

The moves the organization made in the offseason indicated to me that they didn't want to make any long term committments to the roster but that they were willing to spend a little bit. They had an offer worth more money on the table for Eric Chavez too, but he wanted to play on the West Coast. I think if there had been more contracts like that - 1 to 2 year contracts at reasonable prices - the Sox could have made them. I would have liked to have seen a bit more action, but it wasn't an easy offseason to make moves.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
The moves the organization made in the offseason indicated to me that they didn't want to make any long term committments to the roster but that they were willing to spend a little bit. They had an offer worth more money on the table for Eric Chavez too, but he wanted to play on the West Coast. I think if there had been more contracts like that - 1 to 2 year contracts at reasonable prices - the Sox could have made them. I would have liked to have seen a bit more action, but it wasn't an easy offseason to make moves.

If we would of gotten Chavez there is a good chance that Gillaspie would be elsewhere. I would rather see what Gillaspie has to offer for a whole season. So far, so good.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 28, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
If we would of gotten Chavez there is a good chance that Gillaspie would be elsewhere. I would rather see what Gillaspie has to offer for a whole season. So far, so good.

Good point. Or he'd be in AAA as additional depth with Morel and we wouldn't know what we have yet....since Eric Chavez clearly is a "win now" player, and not part of the future.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 28, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
Then what?

Then what, what? This team isn't good enough to win this division or make the playoffs. Its not hard to see that if you watch them play. Its pointless to not trade these guys if were out of it. And I am not saying give them away, if the value isnt there so be it but I don't think that's going to be the case.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
It was more like "stand pat" mode, except for Peavy.

But if they really weren't going for it...at best, bringing Peavy has only succeeded in basically making us a 78-84 win team instead of a mid to low 70's team (assuming they were starting Santiago/Axelrod in that spot).

In some ways, though, it's almost like the end of last season was MORE demoralizing than not being in the pennant race all season long...it seems counter-intuitive, but it feels like "we tried our best, the Tigers were better in the end, then the Tigers seemingly went out and improved, and there's really not much we can do about it for now."

The division lead now for the Tigers is "only" 5 games, and there's a possibility we could be in 1st or near there at the end of this stretch against bad teams...but I just don't see how we can legitimately compete with them without adding to our offense. Nor do you see a realistic scenario where you can go into July trailing them by 5-6-7-8 games and make that deficit up. They aren't the 2003 Royals, doing it with smoke and mirrors, where everyone is just waiting for a collapse. And they aren't the 2008 Twins, either.

I never thought of it like that. The Tigers did everything they could to give that division away and we just weren't good enough. We didn't have enough. Then in the offseason we did absolutely nothing to improve the team, nor did we trade off any veteran pieces for youth to maybe get excited about watching. The Tigers never mattered for me, because we weren't good enough then and we did nothing to get better. And besides, going into ST, I never really think much about beating the division and making the playoffs, I think more about whether or not we have a team that can win it all. If we played over our heads in a division so bad that we snuck into the playoffs then we still looked like a first round exit team.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 28, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
Then what, what? This team isn't good enough to win this division or make the playoffs. Its not hard to see that if you watch them play. Its pointless to not trade these guys if were out of it. And I am not saying give them away, if the value isnt there so be it but I don't think that's going to be the case.

It's really not. That's what's so bizarre. What do you think is the likely outcome of having 19 of the final 76 games versus the Tigers. Think the pitching staff won't be stressed beyond its limits? When that happens all hell is going to break loose.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 28, 2013 -> 07:22 PM)
It's really not. That's what's so bizarre. What do you think is the likely outcome of having 19 of the final 76 games versus the Tigers. Think the pitching staff won't be stressed beyond its limits? When that happens all hell is going to break loose.

Not really.

Apathy will set in. People will stop caring or switch their interest to the football season.

If you can't get fans excited about Cubs/Sox this year, I find it hard to imagine a fan uprising about the pitching staff going south in the 2nd half when everyone expects it based on the workload from 2012 anyway.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 28, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)

Why must it be that the Sox falter while the Tigers just get stronger and "all Powerful"?

Why can't the Tigers pitching staff be the one that is "stressed beyond its limits"?

Can't fatigue or injuries happen to Verlander, Fielder, Cabrera etc.?

Maybe, just maybe the Sox could take 10 or more of those 19 games this year.

You (and some others) act like the Tigers are this unstoppable force that just cannot be reckoned with. The Tigers have a good team on paper, but they are a long way from an automatic World Series winner. I, for one, still have hope that Sale, Peavey and company will match up just fine with the Tigers pitching staff (Reed vs. who.....really?) and our offense shouldn't be this bad all season.

It's way to early for all of this doom and gloom, let's at least wait until the end of June. It's quite possible that the Tigers will walk away with the division, however, it's possible that the Sox, Indians, or even the Royals can win it too. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
Not really.

Apathy will set in. People will stop caring or switch their interest to the football season.

If you can't get fans excited about Cubs/Sox this year, I find it hard to imagine a fan uprising about the pitching staff going south in the 2nd half when everyone expects it based on the workload from 2012 anyway.

'

Not talking about the fans, talking about the team. When the pitching cracks during that stretch they will drop like a rock.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 29, 2013 -> 07:04 AM)
Why must it be that the Sox falter while the Tigers just get stronger and "all Powerful"?

Why can't the Tigers pitching staff be the one that is "stressed beyond its limits"?

Can't fatigue or injuries happen to Verlander, Fielder, Cabrera etc.?

Maybe, just maybe the Sox could take 10 or more of those 19 games this year.

You (and some others) act like the Tigers are this unstoppable force that just cannot be reckoned with. The Tigers have a good team on paper, but they are a long way from an automatic World Series winner. I, for one, still have hope that Sale, Peavey and company will match up just fine with the Tigers pitching staff (Reed vs. who.....really?) and our offense shouldn't be this bad all season.

It's way to early for all of this doom and gloom, let's at least wait until the end of June. It's quite possible that the Tigers will walk away with the division, however, it's possible that the Sox, Indians, or even the Royals can win it too. :gosoxretro:

Whats the most likely outcome of having a team with Danks, Axelrod, and a bullpen that's already in tatters facing the best offense in the AL 19 of the final 76 games? How in the world is this offense going to cover for that?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 29, 2013 -> 07:45 AM)
ROFL - SIGN JERMAINE DYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You live so much in the past.

You're right Marty. The signing of Dye was horrible. They should have tanked the 2005 season rather than sign him. They could have seen what Borchard could do. You mentioned earlier Flowers catching is a sign the Sox aren't trying to win. Good news, Avila is worse than Flowers. The Tigers aren't trying to win either. ROTFL.

I don't live in the past. I want the Sox to win. I enjoy White Sox victories a lot more than the opportunity to say how bad so and so is, how hopeless the situation is, how so and so has to be fired, how the White Sox don't deserve any of my money after they lose. That's one huge difference between me, the vast majority of people on this board, and you.

I think you are the only White Sox "fan" and I use that term very loosely describing you, who is unhappy the White Sox signed Dye.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2013 -> 07:46 AM)
You're right Marty. The signing of Dye was horrible. They should have tanked the 2005 season rather than sign him. You mentioned earlier Flowers catching is a sign the Sox aren't trying to win. Good news, Avila is worse than Flowers. The Tigers aren't trying to win either. ROTFL.

ROFL - Ya got me on THAT one.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 29, 2013 -> 07:32 AM)
Whats the most likely outcome of having a team with Danks, Axelrod, and a bullpen that's already in tatters facing the best offense in the AL 19 of the final 76 games? How in the world is this offense going to cover for that?

Why don't we let them play the first series first? I think that's early - mid July. If the Sox are blown away that series and are 7 - 8 games back then Rick Hahn has 2 weeks or so to "blow the team up".

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 29, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)
Marty34 & Dick Allen need to fight it out at this point, bare fists, kicks are okay, no takedowns thats ghey.

I think this is the only logical conclusion that can be made.