Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
Nice! You like the tech inside? My Q7 and your A4 are the first to get the overhaul. So far, pretty happy with it.

The tech is great, but honestly I mostly just use CarPlay. The ride is just pure joy, even in the comfort setting. Didn't go with a lot of options, and the only thing I really miss are the really cool LED DRLs, but overall I'm really happy.

I'm conditioned to worry about Audi reliability, and yet all the major reliability metrics have Audi near the top of brand performance.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
The tech is great, but honestly I mostly just use CarPlay. The ride is just pure joy, even in the comfort setting. Didn't go with a lot of options, and the only thing I really miss are the really cool LED DRLs, but overall I'm really happy.

I'm conditioned to worry about Audi reliability, and yet all the major reliability metrics have Audi near the top of brand performance.

Yeah, they have cleaned up their act recently. I've had them for the last 10 years with no major issues (absent the damn convertible top mentioned above).

I just started using CarPlay...not sure how I feel.

Glad you are enjoying it!

My car troubles turned in to a nightmare, but only in time, not money (thankfully).

CV axel appeared to be fine, but one side of my brakes was screwed up. So I replaced the brakes and one rotor. Then my brother discovered a detached sway bar, so we replaced that as well. 4 trips to car part stores and 6 hours later, we did it. All in all costs were....

$50 for rotor

$20 for sway bar

$6 for PB Blaster

$13 for brother's lunch + 6 pack

$0 for brake pads (lifetime warranty)

So under $90 for everything.

• 1 month later...

Car shopping for the first time in about 6 years. Amazing how far the safety stuff has gotten in that time.

Looking at a pair of plug-in hybrids. My wife has a round-trip commute of around 30 miles, which makes these cars with roughly 30-mile electric-only ranges basically perfect for us. And they still get 40+ mpg after that as hybrids. Current tax credits are about $4900 on each, but the difference in price of plug-in versus not is only about $3000-$4000, which further makes it a no-brainer. Not sure why anyone would get the straight hybrid in that case, if the plug-in is actually cheaper and gets better efficiency overall (a lot better for us).

Narrowed to the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima plug-in hybrids. Anyone have experience with either of those brands? I'm new to both. Reading mostly very good things, but always up for deeper info.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
Car shopping for the first time in about 6 years. Amazing how far the safety stuff has gotten in that time.

Looking at a pair of plug-in hybrids. My wife has a round-trip commute of around 30 miles, which makes these cars with roughly 30-mile electric-only ranges basically perfect for us. And they still get 40+ mpg after that as hybrids. Current tax credits are about $4900 on each, but the difference in price of plug-in versus not is only about $3000-$4000, which further makes it a no-brainer. Not sure why anyone would get the straight hybrid in that case, if the plug-in is actually cheaper and gets better efficiency overall (a lot better for us).

Narrowed to the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima plug-in hybrids. Anyone have experience with either of those brands? I'm new to both. Reading mostly very good things, but always up for deeper info.

Just as a FWIW, I just signed on a 2015 Jetta SE that I got for $11,500. Highway I am averaging about 40 mpg, and about 25 in town. I know that isn't quite hybrid type mileage, but for the price difference, it might be worth considering. The diesel scandal just punished the prices of even their gasoline line, even though they weren't part of the problem.

I've had my Sonata (although it's not a hybrid) for about 5 years now and haven't had any problems with it. Just routine maintenance.

My only complaint is that it seems I've had to change light bulbs on it more often than other cars I've owned. Headlights, taillights, turn signals. It seems like 3 or 4 times a year I have to replace one. Luckily they are all really easy to get to and replace.

This is a small thing but I also love the fact that the windshield washer fluid reservoir actually holds an entire gallon. I always hated the fact on some cars you could fill them up and then have another cup or 2 of fluid leftover in the jug.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Not looking into the Ford CMAX? And I'm interested to hear your reviews of those 2.

CMAX is a little smaller than we are looking, with our two kids. In addition to the Sonata and Optima, we also looked at the Honda Accord, Ford Fusion, and Chevy Volt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
Just as a FWIW, I just signed on a 2015 Jetta SE that I got for $11,500. Highway I am averaging about 40 mpg, and about 25 in town. I know that isn't quite hybrid type mileage, but for the price difference, it might be worth considering. The diesel scandal just punished the prices of even their gasoline line, even though they weren't part of the problem.

I thought about VW for exactly that reason (pricing depression). The reason we are looking at plug-ins is that they happen to fit our needs so perfectly, and the tax credit makes them really good options. There are certainly plenty of non-hybrids (and non plug-ins) that get very good mileage nowadays.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)
I've had my Sonata (although it's not a hybrid) for about 5 years now and haven't had any problems with it. Just routine maintenance.

My only complaint is that it seems I've had to change light bulbs on it more often than other cars I've owned. Headlights, taillights, turn signals. It seems like 3 or 4 times a year I have to replace one. Luckily they are all really easy to get to and replace.

This is a small thing but I also love the fact that the windshield washer fluid reservoir actually holds an entire gallon. I always hated the fact on some cars you could fill them up and then have another cup or 2 of fluid leftover in the jug.

Good to know. One of the appeals of both the Korean companies is they have huge warranties - 10/100 for most everything, and lifetime on the batteries for a hybrid.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
Good to know. One of the appeals of both the Korean companies is they have huge warranties - 10/100 for most everything, and lifetime on the batteries for a hybrid.

The warranty is really what sold me. Although I blew through it in 2 years. :lol:

I was debating between the Sonata and the Ford Fusion and the warranty was the big difference. Now that I'm not driving 50,000/year I'll have a little more flexibility in my choices for my next car.

My 2012 Ford Focus hatchback is starting to have issues again, bluetooth crapped out on me and it's having issues changing gears more and more often (it had an issue with the TCM which had to be replaced last year) so I'm starting to get serious at looking for a replacement. Was hoping to get some time without payments but the whole transmission stuff scares the crap out of me.

So far I've test driven a 2017 Infiniti QX30 and a 2017 Audi Q3. The QX30 is super sharp, sporty, handles well, and has nice features all while priced extremely well (4wd premium at 28k-ish). But man, it was small, had less driver room than my Ford and about the same legroom in the back. So I'm crossing it off. The Q3 was a great ride, not quite as sporty but handled well and just felt well built. Had enough space and felt much better in the driver seat, but it's also a lot more money. With the Costco program, a Q3 premium with quattro was about 34k still (because they always throw at least one package into the car). I've really wanted this car since coming out, I'm just not sure if I want to spend that much on one. And used car inventory for it is very slim and doesn't provide much savings, a used one may be 31k.

Now I'm thinking of going for a used Q5, Acura RDX or Lexus 350. 2012/2013 models are at about 25k with under 40k miles, which is pretty attractive. Those are a bit larger than I thought I would go for but probably going to at least test drive them.

I'm not sure how they compare cost-wise, but have you looked in to the Chevy Bolt at all? Or the, albeit ugly, Nissan Leaf?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
My 2012 Ford Focus hatchback is starting to have issues again, bluetooth crapped out on me and it's having issues changing gears more and more often (it had an issue with the TCM which had to be replaced last year) so I'm starting to get serious at looking for a replacement. Was hoping to get some time without payments but the whole transmission stuff scares the crap out of me.

So far I've test driven a 2017 Infiniti QX30 and a 2017 Audi Q3. The QX30 is super sharp, sporty, handles well, and has nice features all while priced extremely well (4wd premium at 28k-ish). But man, it was small, had less driver room than my Ford and about the same legroom in the back. So I'm crossing it off. The Q3 was a great ride, not quite as sporty but handled well and just felt well built. Had enough space and felt much better in the driver seat, but it's also a lot more money. With the Costco program, a Q3 premium with quattro was about 34k still (because they always throw at least one package into the car). I've really wanted this car since coming out, I'm just not sure if I want to spend that much on one. And used car inventory for it is very slim and doesn't provide much savings, a used one may be 31k.

Now I'm thinking of going for a used Q5, Acura RDX or Lexus 350. 2012/2013 models are at about 25k with under 40k miles, which is pretty attractive. Those are a bit larger than I thought I would go for but probably going to at least test drive them.

The Lexus SUV is very feminine to me. The engine and interior feel is just off IMO. I like the Audi and the Acura is a good ride if you like Honda's. I was looking at the Q3 for my wife since her lease ends on her Cherokee and it seems like slim pickins. I think we are just going to move her to a trailhawk or the Volvo XC60.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 10:48 PM)
I'm not sure how they compare cost-wise, but have you looked in to the Chevy Bolt at all? Or the, albeit ugly, Nissan Leaf?

Bolt and Leaf are just a lot smaller than I want to go. If it was just my wife and I, and/or if I was shorter (I'm 6'3"), then maybe. I like the idea of an electric car if it has enough range. I'd like a Tesla S but can't justify spending 90k on a car. Also am not going to plunk down $1000 now for a car I might get in 2018 if I'm lucky and for which I have little idea what it will be (Tesla 3).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)
Bolt and Leaf are just a lot smaller than I want to go. If it was just my wife and I, and/or if I was shorter (I'm 6'3"), then maybe. I like the idea of an electric car if it has enough range. I'd like a Tesla S but can't justify spending 90k on a car. Also am not going to plunk down $1000 now for a car I might get in 2018 if I'm lucky and for which I have little idea what it will be (Tesla 3).

The Highlander and Rav4 are pretty nice Hybrid SUV's.

I still dont get why more SUV's arent offered as hybrid or electric. I would totally shop larger ones.

Edit: I thought you were talking about the Tesla SUV, so I got off topic.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
The Highlander and Rav4 are pretty nice Hybrid SUV's.

I still dont get why more SUV's arent offered as hybrid or electric. I would totally shop larger ones.

We looked at the RAV4, liked it too, it was on our short list until near the end.

The Highlander is a tank, its like our Honda Pilot - it's a very nice car, but the hybrid pushes $50k when you get the high end safety gear and is almost 10k more than the non-hybrid version, all to get about 29 mpg net. We plan to keep our Pilot as the 2nd car, so we have something big around if we need it. The main car will be more about efficiency for every day stuff. And I am totally up for spending extra on the new safety toys, especially since this car may eventually be what my older kid starts learning to drive on (lord help me).

I do agree though that the larger vehicles in some ways are better cases for hybridization. Taking an SUV from, say, 20 to 28 mpg, is a bigger value-add than taking a sedan from 32 to 40 mpg.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 07:58 AM)
We looked at the RAV4, liked it too, it was on our short list until near the end.

The Highlander is a tank, its like our Honda Pilot - it's a very nice car, but the hybrid pushes $50k when you get the high end safety gear and is almost 10k more than the non-hybrid version, all to get about 29 mpg net. We plan to keep our Pilot as the 2nd car, so we have something big around if we need it. The main car will be more about efficiency for every day stuff. And I am totally up for spending extra on the new safety toys, especially since this car may eventually be what my older kid starts learning to drive on (lord help me).

I do agree though that the larger vehicles in some ways are better cases for hybridization. Taking an SUV from, say, 20 to 28 mpg, is a bigger value-add than taking a sedan from 32 to 40 mpg.

Yeah , remember when the highlander was a compact SUV? The pilot seems to be in everyone's garage these days, they should make that a hybrid as well.

I mean if they made the Yukon in a hybrid again it would be attractive to a lot of people IMO. And I agree with you on the safety features. I WANT to add those to my cars if I can. Mine have saved me a few times (cross path, collision warning).

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)

I'll have my model 3 in about a year or less, I'll let you know how it is. ;)

My wife just bought a Subaru Forester a few months back. I am very impressed. From the car buying experience, the after purchase follow ups, and driving the vehicle it has been all first rate. She has all the safety features imaginable. I love the intelligent cruise control.

If they made a 3/4 ton pickup it would be my next truck.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
My wife just bought a Subaru Forester a few months back. I am very impressed. From the car buying experience, the after purchase follow ups, and driving the vehicle it has been all first rate. She has all the safety features imaginable. I love the intelligent cruise control.

Congrats! The Forester is a great car. The standard AWD is a great perk, as well.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)

Pretty sure that would be a capitol offense in Texas.