Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
It was burning oil very quickly, brought it in a few times (one time they made things worse but loosening some piece that made my whole car shake). They pretty much couldn't find the issue so decided to do a full replace of the engine. Just hoping they don't screw it up and cause more issues. Their customer service has been good, but their techs aren't great from what I can tell.

Yeah, that's because they are working on 20 different makes of cars.

I'm glad you got a great deal on it, but I've always tried to buy my used vehicles from a dealership of the same make...at least theoretically, they should have the best understanding of the vehicle as it comes to them and then preparing it again for sale.

BTW, I soooo want to order a TT RS :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Yeah, that's because they are working on 20 different makes of cars.

I'm glad you got a great deal on it, but I've always tried to buy my used vehicles from a dealership of the same make...at least theoretically, they should have the best understanding of the vehicle as it comes to them and then preparing it again for sale.

BTW, I soooo want to order a TT RS :)

I agree, hate carmax or the big conglomerates. Thats a real odd problem though for an Audi.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
You guys talking about Audi's and Tesla's....well, I'll make you all drool...

Going next week to buy a MINIVAN. Yea, top that one, suckers. (I'm so jealous of you guys and your cool cars)

Which one? Mini-van shopping is like a different sport. I listened to sales guys getting trained on selling the Chrysler Caravan and the features are completely different but totally relevant.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Which one? Mini-van shopping is like a different sport. I listened to sales guys getting trained on selling the Chrysler Caravan and the features are completely different but totally relevant.

My brother bought a Pacifica recently and really digs it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)

We were looking at the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna, but after reviewing Consumer Reports Auto Car Buying Guide, it looks like we now more focused on the Sienna. Due to our budget, we are kinda stuck looking at models between 2013 and 2015, probably with the LE trim. We considered other brands, but we like the reliability of Toyota/Honda.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
My brother bought a Pacifica recently and really digs it.

Its crazy. The auto-doors, cupholders of different sizes. Even the fact that the engine disconnects in a crash so it doesnt go into the passenger compartment. s***s crazy.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
We were looking at the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna, but after reviewing Consumer Reports Auto Car Buying Guide, it looks like we now more focused on the Sienna. Due to our budget, we are kinda stuck looking at models between 2013 and 2015, probably with the LE trim. We considered other brands, but we like the reliability of Toyota/Honda.

Ive heard people love both of those. I'm not a mini-van guy but I get the appeal.

Rock, I get being wary of Carmax now for sure. I had looked at a few used cars back in 2012 and hated the dealers I talked to and how they treated me, figured Carmax was the safer route without the hassle but I definitely get the downsides more now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
Ive heard people love both of those. I'm not a mini-van guy but I get the appeal.

Oh, I hear ya, I'm not either. We were originally going the large SUV route, but the good ones are much more expensive than the minivans.

The good news is that I won't be the one driving the minivan.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
You guys talking about Audi's and Tesla's....well, I'll make you all drool...

Going next week to buy a MINIVAN. Yea, top that one, suckers. (I'm so jealous of you guys and your cool cars)

Hah...I wish I had a minivan. Wanted one but my wife sternly vetoed it (something about too young to have minivans...blah blah). I actually prefer the big SUVs but I'm a cheapass. We still love our highlander though. Minivans are just so damn convenient / comfortable.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
Oh, I hear ya, I'm not either. We were originally going the large SUV route, but the good ones are much more expensive than the minivans.

The good news is that I won't be the one driving the minivan.

Yeah they have jacked up the cost of the big SUV's, especially if you need an actual 3rd row. My wife's lease is up soon on her cherokee and we've been looking around and damn. Of course she wants a damn volvo SUV which arent cheap at all.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
Hah...I wish I had a minivan. Wanted one but my wife sternly vetoed it (something about too young to have minivans...blah blah). I actually prefer the big SUVs but I'm a cheapass. We still love our highlander though. Minivans are just so damn convenient / comfortable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
Yeah they have jacked up the cost of the big SUV's, especially if you need an actual 3rd row. My wife's lease is up soon on her cherokee and we've been looking around and damn. Of course she wants a damn volvo SUV which arent cheap at all.

You guys hit the nail on the head....Highlander was exactly what we wanted because of the third row. Due to having two kids in carseats, we were looking for a SUV that has bucket seats in the 2nd row, and easy access to the third row. Apparently this wasn't an option on the Highlander until 2014 (or maybe it was an option before 2014, but with the higher trim line). Every Highlander that had decent miles was just so much more expensive than a minivan. My wife was hesitant on the minivan idea at first, but like Chisoxfn said...it's just so convenient, with more space than the Highlander, and at $5-10K less in price.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
It was burning oil very quickly, brought it in a few times (one time they made things worse but loosening some piece that made my whole car shake). They pretty much couldn't find the issue so decided to do a full replace of the engine. Just hoping they don't screw it up and cause more issues. Their customer service has been good, but their techs aren't great from what I can tell.

My 2008 A4 consumed oil quite a bit. I raised hell with Audi North America for it. The only reason I have the one I have now is because it simply beat all the other models in my comparison.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)

I really liked the minivans too when we were car shopping, I was just too worried about them in the snowy winters without all wheel drive to pull the trigger. Now if I lived in SoCal like you, I think I'd have a minivan. That's what I usually rent when we go out there every year, ha.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
I really liked the minivans too when we were car shopping, I was just too worried about them in the snowy winters without all wheel drive to pull the trigger. Now if I lived in SoCal like you, I think I'd have a minivan. That's what I usually rent when we go out there every year, ha.

I assume FWD would be fine, right? I know RWD is a no-no in the winter without appropriate tires.

We bought the 15 Odessey LE brand new off of the lot. I just got done driving it about 3000 miles over the course of a week for a family vacation for four. Honestly for a mini-van it does the job pretty well. I hate the size of the thing as all things that size feel like a bus to me, but it did the job pretty well. I had the cruise control set to 85 for most of the trip, the kids had their extras, it has the right side and back up cameras, etc. It has some nice get up and go for something that size.

Ha! I'm in the exact same boat. Same two cars too. We are leaning Sienna because of the AWD, but they are very expensive new, and used are hard to come by. Meanwhile, good tires on a FWD are probably fine. I don't know if anyone here has driven an Odyssey or Sienna in the snow.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
Ha! I'm in the exact same boat. Same two cars too. We are leaning Sienna because of the AWD, but they are very expensive new, and used are hard to come by. Meanwhile, good tires on a FWD are probably fine. I don't know if anyone here has driven an Odyssey or Sienna in the snow.

I have. It is as good as anything. Honda has the AWD that kicks in with a slide or spinning tires and it does the job.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
I have. It is as good as anything. Honda has the AWD that kicks in with a slide or spinning tires and it does the job.

That's traction control. Good to know. Do you use all seasons or switch out for winter tires?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
12 hours away from Model 3 launch party.

model-3-release-party.jpg

Well that was underwhelming. The info eventually came out, but at the presentation, all Elon showed was the range, 0-60, and top speed for the 2 different battery options, and then a price for each. No interior shots, feature talks, nothing extra. Kind of surprised how low-key it was.

Also, the longer range version was much more than I anticipated, so I think I'll be opting for the lower battery option.

My choices are to either do the lower range version (220 miles), but with all premium features (vegan leather, sound system, glass roof, others) for $46K. Or do the longer range version (310 miles), but with all basic options (cloth seats, metal roof, no adjustable seats, no heated seats) for $50K.

I feel like the premium upgrades to the interior are all things I am going to enjoy more than the longer range on the rare times I take a road trip. My daily commute is only like 12-15 miles.

However, taking the lower battery option also means having to wait a couple extra months to get the car, pushing the my tax rebate back to 2019 tax season instead of 2018 tax season potentially. Oh well.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24