6/16 Games

flavum

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
I just can't see how Hawkins staying in High A and striking out at such a ridiculously high rate is a what's best for him. His K rate is absurd.

I don't think the level of play has anything to do with it, which is the only reason I say he stays there. Could be a huge blow emotionally to get sent down and I would assume that the K rate would be just as high if he goes down to low A and doesn't change anythign else.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
I just can't see how Hawkins staying in High A and striking out at such a ridiculously high rate is a what's best for him. His K rate is absurd.

Pitchers in full season A ball leagues are essentially the same. No point in sending him down. WHatever the issues in W-S would remain in Kanny

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
I don't think the level of play has anything to do with it, which is the only reason I say he stays there. Could be a huge blow emotionally to get sent down and I would assume that the K rate would be just as high if he goes down to low A and doesn't change anythign else.

I agree that the level has nothing to do with it, but if being demoted is such a huge blow emotionally he probably isn't cut out for MLB anyway.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
I agree that the level has nothing to do with it, but if being demoted is such a huge blow emotionally he probably isn't cut out for MLB anyway.

Exactly the point I wanted to make a few days ago. If he doesn't have the mental make up to handle adversity such as a demotion when he's striking out at a historical rate, he will not be able to make it in the majors. And it isn't a case where he is play well, or just struggling minorly, and the org sends him down in a surprise move. He is struggling badly, and he knows it. Such a move, if it does occur, is only to help him. It's not that they are pushing him down in favor of a better player.

On the contrast, even if the perceived level of pitching is roughly the same in Low A, a demotion might actually fuel a fire under him and encourage him to work harder to move back up. A demotion could also be a change of scenery and a fresh start that he needed. Also, he might have a better chemistry and he can work better with the hitting coach in Kanny, which could be a possibility given he performed quite well in his short stint in Kanny last year.

It's just adding an insult to injury. I have a feeling that he is motivated and doesn't like striking out while traveling all around the Carolinas. I'm sure he has plenty of motivation to become a White Sox and not strike out every other trip to the plate. Give him some time, the fact that he did well in a few games in Kannapolis tells me that he didn't work with that coach at all and probably doesn't have a rapport with any of the team's coaches and probably has spent more time with a roving instructor ala what Jeff Manto was doing before he became our hitting coach.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
On the contrast, even if the perceived level of pitching is roughly the same in Low A, a demotion might actually fuel a fire under him and encourage him to work harder to move back up. A demotion could also be a change of scenery and a fresh start that he needed. Also, he might have a better chemistry and he can work better with the hitting coach in Kanny, which could be a possibility given he performed quite well in his short stint in Kanny last year.

He also performed quite well in a short stint with Winston-Salem last year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
It would be such a huge lift for this organization if he can turn into a steady contributor.

Would really vindicate the player development staff as Trayce was as raw as anyone.