White Sox sign Micker Zapata for $1.6 million

caulfield12

Anyone who's against this..i guess...does not have a problem with the total talent level we have in the minors. Odd, because I thought that was a giant problem for everyone.

If instantly everyone wants older, ready-to-go guys...then I guess we'll never be happy here.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Anyone who's against this..i guess...does not have a problem with the total talent level we have in the minors. Odd, because I thought that was a giant problem for everyone.

If instantly everyone wants older, ready-to-go guys...then I guess we'll never be happy here.

I don't think anyone has a problem with this. This is an incredible signing.

Who cares about where he ranks in our system? He could be #1 or outside of the 25, after he plays his first full season.

The real question is can we develop him? He is extremely raw right now, and is another prospect who has issue with pitch recognition and is susceptible to off speed stuff. As some pointed out, his bat is rated as a 3/8 right now, and projects as a 4/8. Given our track record with these type of raw, athletic bats, or just bats in general, this concerns me a little.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
You don't think he is one of our 25 best prospects? He has better tools and upside then a lot of guys in the top 25. Bonus was first round money, albeit, doesn't always equate on the international market, but no doubt this guy immediately becomes at a minimum a top 10-15 prospect and he has top 3 prospect potential. If you look at floor, high bust potential. Ceiling is a lot higher then a lot of guys in the Sox top 10.

Development will be long and probably why he fails because our system is just awful at developing position players and until they prove otherwise, I fully believe the organization needs to clean up its player development group and minor league position/coaching staffs related to position players. I'm comfortable with the development from the mound. If I was an owner, I'd spend more money and buy the best scouts and talent developers in the game.

Cheap compared to buying big name FA's.

Without ever having seen anything from this kid, this is exactly how I feel. He has to be somewhere between 5 and 15, but probably more like 5 to 10 for what his tool set is being described as. Sure I there is some leeway because of his age and there are guys who are advanced because of their age to compare him to. For example, I would put Hawkins ahead of him for sure, because of a higher level of advancement for his tool set.

Scouting Grades* (present/future): Hit: 3/4 | Power: 4/6 | Run: 3/4 | Arm: 5/6 | Field: 4/5

Scouts love the big corner outfielder because of his plus-plus power, strong arm and plus-plus bat speed, leading many to believe he has the best overall tools in the entire class.

Zapata is not as lean or athletic as fellow outfield prospect Eloy Jimenez, but unlike Jimenez, Zapata profiles as a center fielder and can comfortably play all three outfield positions.

Tall, strong and athletic, Zapata has an uppercut swing and a reputation for putting on power displays during batting practice. He sometimes struggles with pitch recognition during games and can be susceptible to offspeed pitches. Overall, scouts drool over Zapata's upside and he's been called a "Player Development's dream" because of his tools. However, some wonder about his baseball instincts and how many at-bats he will need before his talents show up consistently in games. Scouts like the outfielder's makeup and his aggressiveness.

from MLB.com

Considered one of the elite prospects available for July 2, Zapata's calling card is his massive power potential which rates as a 70 on a scouting scale. With his quick loose swing, he consistently puts on BP displays that leave scouts and onlookers alike in awe as he he hits bomb after bomb. Despite a mature well-developed build, with a thick lower half, Zapata is a solid runner (6.80) with the arm strength (60 rating) for an outfielder corner. Like most players his age Zapata looks raw at the plate and can be impatient at times. At present he has trouble with the pitch away, and tends to lose his lower half on off speed pitches, but all the physical tools are there to be a major offensive player. Zapata doesn't play for either the DPL or the IPL and speaks fluent English as he was born in the Virgin Islands. Reports suggest Zapata may already have been offered 1mm by the Phillies with Seattle, Minnesota, and Cleveland also showing interest in the young slugger. Sources say his trainer is looking for a bonus in the range of 1.3mm.

Comparison: Delmon Young

Minorleagueball.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Mike Trout's signing bonus at the bottom of first round in 2009, $1.125 million.

And some are arguing this guy might not even be a Top 25 prospect in our system, automatically.

Who? If someone actually thinks that it's the dumbest thing ever said.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
do we have any room for another 1 of this signings?

Well we could go over the pool like the Rangers did. But you wont be able to sign one over 250K next year I believe.

Worth playing devil's advocate: this pretty much hamstrings our ability to bring in much more in international FA, so our entire year of international scouting is pretty much wrapped up in this one player. There is some risk in that.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Worth playing devil's advocate: this pretty much hamstrings our ability to bring in much more in international FA, so our entire year of international scouting is pretty much wrapped up in this one player. There is some risk in that.

It depends on how much more we want to spend and if they want to risk basically not being able to sign anyone of note next year.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Good progress for the Sox in L.A. regardless of how Zapata pans out. Does anyone know if we are in on anyone else of worthy note with our remaining pool money?

We only have about $600k left if I am understanding the system correctly, so probably not.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)

Also keep in mind, if we end up as badly as we have started this season, our next year number will go up big time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Also keep in mind, if we end up as badly as we have started this season, our next year number will go up big time.

Right and this is why some teams are going for broke this year. Their pool would have went down next year.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
Well the Rangers just went wayyyyyyyy over their bonus pool amount

Rangers acquired more pool space from the Marlins. From MLBTR :

"Texas started out with a $1.94MM bonus pool, but they increased that figure by reaching an agreement with the Marlins."

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Rangers acquired more pool space from the Marlins. From MLBTR :

"Texas started out with a $1.94MM bonus pool, but they increased that figure by reaching an agreement with the Marlins."

They are still over it even with the increased figure from the Marlins. They spent roughly 4.4 million.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
They are still over it even with the increased figure from the Marlins. They spent roughly 4.4 million.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ws&c_id=cws

Chisox.com story on Zapata.

Hahn giving all the credit to Marco Paddy here.

"Adolfo Zapata has impressed everyone over the last year with his makeup and approach to the game," said Paddy. "His raw tools and natural strength immediately grab your attention, and his power displays can be jaw-dropping."

Zapata has an uppercut swing and a reputation for putting on power displays in batting practice. Although he can be susceptible to off-speed pitches, his tools and upside have led some to call him a "player development's dream."

"Marco deserves a great deal of credit for scouting and signing Micker," Hahn said. "Marco spent the time building a really strong relationship with Micker and a great rapport with his family. Today's signing reinforces our expanding commitment as an organization to scouting and signing top young, talented players from Latin America."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
He'll be 17 in two months. No one would blink an eye about a 17 year old high school senior getting picked in the first couple rounds of the draft and being included on a list.

A player turning 17 in two months would be a high school junior in the fall. That's two years of separation.