White Sox sign Micker Zapata for $1.6 million

caulfield12

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Mike Trout's signing bonus at the bottom of first round in 2009, $1.125 million.

Crazy. And some are arguing this guy might not even be a Top 25 prospect in our system, automatically.

Different market - the money is an indicator, but it isn't an absolute match-up. These are 16 year-olds, they are even more lottery tickets than the amateur draft guys.

That said, I think a case can be made for Zapata to crack the Sox T25.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
Different market - the money is an indicator, but it isn't an absolute match-up. These are 16 year-olds, they are even more lottery tickets than the amateur draft guys.

Yeah, Iknow.

There's this "unwritten" rule that any time an organization feels strongly enough to invest $1+ million in any prospect, whether through the draft or free agent signing...a strong case can be made for them to be in the top 20-25, no matter how young or raw they are.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
I don't think it does.

You don't think he is one of our 25 best prospects? He has better tools and upside then a lot of guys in the top 25. Bonus was first round money, albeit, doesn't always equate on the international market, but no doubt this guy immediately becomes at a minimum a top 10-15 prospect and he has top 3 prospect potential. If you look at floor, high bust potential. Ceiling is a lot higher then a lot of guys in the Sox top 10.

Development will be long and probably why he fails because our system is just awful at developing position players and until they prove otherwise, I fully believe the organization needs to clean up its player development group and minor league position/coaching staffs related to position players. I'm comfortable with the development from the mound. If I was an owner, I'd spend more money and buy the best scouts and talent developers in the game.

Cheap compared to buying big name FA's.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)

Look at the 15-25 in our system. It's mixed with fringy guys, players that have low ceilings but a good chance of reaching them, potential future relievers, etc...There's not a doubt in my mind that the upside for this kid alone, despite him being young and having the odds against him, that he is deserving of a spot in our top 25.

Talent wise, I truly believe he is. I mean, seems like, atleast offensively, he is a 50 AVG and a 70 POW? But right now he's probably a 20 AVG 35 POW, and we have no idea how long it will take for him to get beyond that, IF he gets beyond that. Along the same lines, Luis Castillo from last year is probably a 40 AVG 60 POW, give or take, which I would also say merits consideration in the organization's top 25. He's really nowhere to be found.

As I said, I love this signing, but I want them to get stateside before I include them in top 25 lists.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
I believe it's Jason Parks on twitter saying he's a top 5 prospect in the Sox system

Thats not much of a stretch. From his profile he has a huge ceiling and is a pretty similar player to Courtney Hawkins. MLB.com ranked him as the #2 international prospect.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/

Scouts love the big corner outfielder because of his plus-plus power, strong arm and plus-plus bat speed, leading many to believe he has the best overall tools in the entire class.

Zapata is not as lean or athletic as fellow outfield prospect Eloy Jimenez, but unlike Jimenez, Zapata profiles as a center fielder and can comfortably play all three outfield positions.

Tall, strong and athletic, Zapata has an uppercut swing and a reputation for putting on power displays during batting practice. He sometimes struggles with pitch recognition during games and can be susceptible to offspeed pitches. Overall, scouts drool over Zapata's upside and he's been called a "Player Development's dream" because of his tools. However, some wonder about his baseball instincts and how many at-bats he will need before his talents show up consistently in games. Scouts like the outfielder's makeup and his aggressiveness.

Hit: 3/4 | Power: 4/6 | Run: 3/4 | Arm: 5/6 | Field: 4/5

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
I dont care if we have the worst system out there. A 16 year old doesn't belong in the top 25.

I kind of agree. For prospect list purposes, these young 16-17 year olds shouldn't qualify until they're in full-season leagues.

There should be a Top 10 of AAA, AA, A+, A players, and then footnotes about short season players.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
I dont care if we have the worst system out there. A 16 year old doesn't belong in the top 25.

They are called prospects for a reason. A lot of top 25 lists are littered with similar players who have a ton of projectability and not much track record or ability to contribute for the foreseeable future. He will likely be 3-4 in most rankings before next season due to his really high ceiling, not unlike former Sox prospect Juan Silverio.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)

He'll be 17 in two months. No one would blink an eye about a 17 year old high school senior getting picked in the first couple rounds of the draft and being included on a list.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
Micker Adolfo Zapata. Adolfo is his middle name.

The white sox' email identifies him initially as Micker Adolfo Zapata and then Adolfo Zapata later...he probably prefers to go by Adolfo...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)
The white sox' email identifies him initially as Micker Adolfo Zapata and the Adolfo Zapata later...he probably prefers to go by Adolfo...

I hope he ends up being great so Hawk can talk about Maz and Yaz