White Sox sign Micker Zapata for $1.6 million

caulfield12

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
When will we get a hitter that we don't have to wait 4+ years to hopefully develop

Um, how many Latin American free agents are really going to help in less than 4 years? Maybe a Cuban here or there, but that's pretty much it. The alternative is simply not using our bonus allotment, so I'm not exactly sure what there is to complain about here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
Pujols went through the normal US draft (and fell a lot because people thought he was too big)

Maple Woods wasn't exactly a junior college powerhouse.

The amazing thing is that Royals missed him in their own backyard, to their cross-state rivals.

That, and that someone in the Rays organization overruled one of their regional scouts who was sky-high on him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
Um, how many Latin American free agents are really going to help in less than 4 years? Maybe a Cuban here or there, but that's pretty much it. The alternative is simply not using our bonus allotment, so I'm not exactly sure what there is to complain about here.

I am just talking in general. I like us signing a 16 year old with tons of power potential. But I was just speaking in general, not just international players. Even though Cespedes and Puig come to mind

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)
I'd take the 4+ out of that. Beckham is the best hitter the Sox have "developed" in a while.

That is exactly why we are where we are right now.

We draft guys who are 4+ years away that have raw talent that needs to be developed and wait on.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)

We draft guys who are 4+ years away that have raw talent that needs to be developed and wait on.

They really have changed their focus over the last few years. Instead of low ceiling, quick impact, they are looking at high ceiling guys, who will take longer to get there. The difference is that they could actually get a superstar this way.

This really couldn't be any further from the truth.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
When will we get a hitter that we don't have to wait 4+ years to hopefully develop

When we sign a big name free agent like Adam Dun... wait.

This is the price we pay for having a s*** system. The idea is if you keep doing stuff like this continually, you have wave after wave of guys popping in. But it's going to take some time to build from the s***pile we currently have.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
He's 16 though -- what does good "pitch recognition" really mean at that level? I remember the jump from D3 HS baseball to American Legion. It was like the pitchers were 200% better. The whole game was different at that point, I was seeing stuff I never even knew existed. I was good at "pitch recognition" until that. And I was 18 then.

I mean I think you can pretty much only look at tools at that point. They kid will have to spend 6-9 years learning baseball skills before he sees the show.

The problem is that we are building this system with a lot of all or nothing hitters. Raw power is great, Juan Francisco has a ton of it, but he is on his third franchise in the last three years because the cannot make enough contact for that raw power to play. I think that the approach needs to be more balanced that going after Courtney Hawkins one year and then going after virtually the same player the next year. I just want to see more guys that are consistent contact hitters in the system that can set the table for the power hitters.

In international free agency, all the quality players are at least 4 years away and most are 6-7 years away.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
That gives the Sox ~$500K left to play with.

$22,800 to play with - under the cap. Not sure where you get the 500k number.

They could go over, and pay penalties, but I doubt they do that.

Most they can give one pick under the cap is $122,800.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
$22,800 to play with - under the cap. Not sure where you get the 500k number.

They could go over, and pay penalties, but I doubt they do that.

Most they can give one pick under the cap is $122,800.

International cap, not draft cap. They are separate numbers for different pools of players.

Want to add that Jason Parks over at BP saw a showcase in the DR in January. Article is below (sorry, not sure if this is behind a paywall - I have a BP subscription)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=19417

He writes, "The running gives way to arm strength drills, which give way to a lengthy batting practice session, where seven positional groups take their reps and hope to add a few zeros to their eventual bonus. Micker Zapata hits one beyond the left-field seats that eventually stops rolling by the Shell station. A scout who had previously confessed his love for the 6’3’’, 225 lb. outfielder sat in silence as bomb after bomb left the yard. The salesman just drew a line through the sticker price. So much for that plan, man. Can I interest you in a six-figure player instead?"

Also had a Google spreadsheet of all the players he saw (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnPMlx4uEmECdE1GMTRxM3JiR2pWQnFqMV9YaW4yelE#gid=0)

Honestly, if this org actually pulls this off I'm cool with sucking for 3-5 years. I have been very critical of them not spending internationally. I'm really excited, even knowing that a majority of kids from the DR at this age flame out.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
The problem is that we are building this system with a lot of all or nothing hitters. Raw power is great, Juan Francisco has a ton of it, but he is on his third franchise in the last three years because the cannot make enough contact for that raw power to play. I think that the approach needs to be more balanced that going after Courtney Hawkins one year and then going after virtually the same player the next year. I just want to see more guys that are consistent contact hitters in the system that can set the table for the power hitters.

I agree with your premise about the danger of too many low contact guys, I'm just saying I don't think it's fair to call him an "all or nothing" hitter at age 16. Right now, he's nothing but a 16 year old kid with tools, he hasn't even developed his skills yet. No one knows what type of player he will become.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
I agree with your premise about the danger of too many low contact guys, I'm just saying I don't think it's fair to call him an "all or nothing" hitter at age 16. Right now, he's nothing but a 16 year old kid with tools, he hasn't even developed his skills yet. No one knows what type of player he will become.

I wonder what the profile of Miguel Cabrera was at that age.