NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)
I shudder to think what 87-93 Jordan would do in this perimeter friendly, breath on the offensive player and it's a foul league...also, weak era for big men and they can't camp their big asses in the paint.

PJax and Larry Brown, who know basketball a little better than all of us here combined, have said that MJ could easily average 40 today.

LeBron is good but he ain't MJ good. Case in point, do you think any team would leave MJ open and DARE him to shoot open Js in a Finals series? And that strategy would've worked had the Spurs been able to hit FTs or grab a f***ing rebound in the waning moments of Gm 6.

Haha, you must be new to my posts in the nba forum. I completely agree with all of your points. Lebron is still making the league look like child's play, though.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
Haha, you must be new to my posts in the nba forum. I completely agree with all of your points. Lebron is still making the league look like child's play, though.

Fair enough. LeBron = best of his generation easily, better than MJ? f*** no.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
I shudder to think what 87-93 Jordan would do in this perimeter friendly, breath on the offensive player and it's a foul league...also, weak era for big men and they can't camp their big asses in the paint.

I also shudder to think what LeBron could do from '87-'93 against inferior athletes, inferior defense and a league-wide pace that would make Nash's suns look slow.

PJax and Larry Brown, who know basketball a little better than all of us here combined, have said that MJ could easily average 40 today.

And they would both be wrong. We've had one 30 PPG scorer in the last 4 years and MJ's gonna get 40 ppg? Stop it. He'd league the league, sure. He wouldn't sniff 40. Defenses dwarf those of most of Jordan's era. Athletes are better, rotations are better, schemes (in large part thanks to thibs) are better. It's not even up for debate (though i'm sure you'll try).

LeBron is good but he ain't MJ good. Case in point, do you think any team would leave MJ open and DARE him to shoot open Js in a Finals series? And that strategy would've worked had the Spurs been able to hit FTs or grab a f***ing rebound in the waning moments of Gm 6.

You still on that? LeBron even admitted that he's so obsessed with efficiency and getting the best possible shot for himself or a teammate that he overthinks the game at times and doesn't take what the defense gives him. Then came game 7. The end.

Dude, I don't think you understand how many times Michael would have gotten to the line in this day and age. It would have been ridiculous. He would easily score at least 1/3 of his points with the clock stopped. Averaging 40 may be a slight stretch since he wouldn't play full games, but 35 without a doubt. He'd have multiple games where he scored 20 just from the line. I wish I could see that. It would be a work of art.

In his last season when he turned 40 years old, he averaged 20 pts on 45% shooting. I am sorry, but he was by far the craftiest player ever to play. He would absolutely tear these current dumbass rules to shreds. When Lebron is 40, let's see what he does.

As a 40 year old man, he scored 40+ points 3 times..................40...years...old.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)
Dude, I don't think you understand how many times Michael would have gotten to the line in this day and age. It would have been ridiculous. He would easily score at least 1/3 of his points with the clock stopped. Averaging 40 may be a slight stretch since he wouldn't play full games, but 35 without a doubt. He'd have multiple games where he scored 20 just from the line. I wish I could see that. It would be a work of art.

It would be a work of art to see a player go to the line 20 times a game? Yeah, I don't think so. LeBron career high free throw attempts per game is 9.4. Michael's career high is 12.0 and he had two other years that were higher than LeBron's high. You guys really need to get over this hand-checking crap. I'll admit at first it played a role. But from '08 when thibs introduced the flood the strong side system and the increased emphasis on help d/rotations, defense has never been better.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)
In his last season when he turned 40 years old, he averaged 20 pts on 45% shooting. I am sorry, but he was by far the craftiest player ever to play. He would absolutely tear these current dumbass rules to shreds. When Lebron is 40, let's see what he does.

As a 40 year old man, he scored 40+ points 3 times..................40...years...old.

On god-awful efficiency. Please don't reference wizards mj. I'm still trying to pretend it never happened.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
I'd love to see LeBron play 10 minutes against the bad boy Pistons. He'd quit basketball

Sure he would. LeBron's got 3 inches and 50 pounds on MJ. He'd be fine.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 11:43 PM)
Just another day at the office for DeAndre Jordan - 3 points, 14 boards, 5 blocks midway through the 4th quarter

lol. Is this supposed to be a diss? Try Harder.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 11:50 PM)
On god-awful efficiency. Please don't reference wizards mj. I'm still trying to pretend it never happened.

How was it god-awful efficiency? As a 40 year old, Jordan had the same EFF as Rose did his first 2 seasons. You talk like he chucked shots up all game long. He shot 45%, averaged only 0.7 3PT attempts per game, and 82% from the line. I try to pretend like it didn't happen too, but MJ was still getting the job done at 40 years old.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 12:01 AM)
How was it god-awful efficiency? As a 40 year old, Jordan had the same EFF as Rose did his first 2 seasons. You talk like he chucked shots up all game long. He shot 45%, averaged only 0.7 3PT attempts per game, and 82% from the line. I try to pretend like it didn't happen too, but MJ was still getting the job done at 40 years old.

He needed nearly 19 shots a game to get those 20 ppg. He got to the line only 4 times a game and was horses*** from 3. And that's while being a negative net on d. Michael the Wizard is a joke and I'll never forgive him for coming back ("I'll never play for another coach besides phil").

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 11:59 PM)
Sure he would. LeBron's got 3 inches and 50 pounds on MJ. He'd be fine.

Laimbeer, Edwards, Salley, and Rodman would not be afraid of LeBron. LBJ gets bent out of shape by Nazr Mohammed and cries foul when anyone shows the slightest aggression towards him. Teams like Detroit in the early late 80s/early 90s would have LeBron permanently on his ass and he has shown no ability to handle people getting physical with him. He can play through some contact, but he can't deal with people actually bodying up and clearing him out if necessary

lol. Is this supposed to be a diss? Try Harder.

No. I love DeAndre. He's on my fantasy team and he sure isn't there for points. Dude's a beast

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)
Laimbeer, Edwards, Salley, and Rodman would not be afraid of LeBron. LBJ gets bent out of shape by Nazr Mohammed and cries foul when anyone shows the slightest aggression towards him. Teams like Detroit in the early late 80s/early 90s would have LeBron permanently on his ass and he has shown no ability to handle people getting physical with him. He can play through some contact, but he can't deal with people actually bodying up and clearing him out if necessary

So what you're saying is no player, not just LeBron, would be successful against the bad boys? What would Rose do?

No. I love DeAndre. He's on my fantasy team and he sure isn't there for points. Dude's a beast

My fault. Certain posters from time to time like to remind me (more like mock me) of my little declaration a couple years back that Jordan would be the second best C after Dwight (this was after Paul was acquired).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
It would be a work of art to see a player go to the line 20 times a game? Yeah, I don't think so. LeBron career high free throw attempts per game is 9.4. Michael's career high is 12.0 and he had two other years that were higher than LeBron's high. You guys really need to get over this hand-checking crap. I'll admit at first it played a role. But from '08 when thibs introduced the flood the strong side system and the increased emphasis on help d/rotations, defense has never been better.

Fact: It is way easier to draw a foul in today's game. And stop comparing Lebron to MJ in this instant. We are talking PPG only. Lebron is not and won't be the scorer MJ was. They have different games.

For instance, Durant (today's most elite scorer IMO) has already gotten to the line 17 or more times in 3 games this season. Bottom line, Jordan would have average at least 15 attempts per game with ease.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 12:14 AM)
Fact: It is way easier to draw a foul in today's game. And stop comparing Lebron to MJ in this instant. We are talking PPG only. Lebron is not and won't be the scorer MJ was. They have different games.

For instance, Durant (today's most elite scorer IMO) has already gotten to the line 17 or more times in 3 games this season. Bottom line, Jordan would have average at least 15 attempts per game with ease.

and if Durant averages over 13 free throw attempts a game for the season we can talk some. For his career he's at a little over 8 a game.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 12:48 AM)
So MJ gets up to 12 per game in a period where drawing fouls was tougher, and you don't think he could get up to 15 in today's sissy game? That seems illogical to me, especially because we are talking about MJ, king of exploiting rules, not some average player.

If it were so easy to get to the line LeBron and Durant, the two best players today, would routinely be getting to the line 10-12 times per game, let alone 15.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 12:13 AM)
So what you're saying is no player, not just LeBron, would be successful against the bad boys? What would Rose do?

Rose would have had a tougher time in that era since he thrives on getting to the rack, but he doesn't act like a whiney b**** when people knock him down, so I don't know that it would be such a huge deal. D

And yeah, I've always liked DeAndre. I don't know that I think he'll be the second-best C in the league, but he's definitely thriving under Doc and he is an absolute gamechanger when he's away from that free throw line.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 01:08 AM)
He needed nearly 19 shots a game to get those 20 ppg. He got to the line only 4 times a game and was horses*** from 3. And that's while being a negative net on d. Michael the Wizard is a joke and I'll never forgive him for coming back ("I'll never play for another coach besides phil").

The wizards were better with him playing than not. That alone means he wasn't a joke.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 02:00 AM)
If it were so easy to get to the line LeBron and Durant, the two best players today, would routinely be getting to the line 10-12 times per game, let alone 15.

James harden averaged more FTA last year than Jordan did in every year but two. The nba has made it a wings era. Jordan, if he jumped into people after a pump fake which is now the thing to do, would easily average 12+ FTs a game. Even look at some of the wizards footage. He got a ton of people to jump at his pump fakes, but he didnt jump into them, he used it to create space and hit a jumpshot.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 11:46 PM)
I also shudder to think what LeBron could do from '87-'93 against inferior athletes, inferior defense and a league-wide pace that would make Nash's suns look slow.

And they would both be wrong. We've had one 30 PPG scorer in the last 4 years and MJ's gonna get 40 ppg? Stop it. He'd league the league, sure. He wouldn't sniff 40. Defenses dwarf those of most of Jordan's era. Athletes are better, rotations are better, schemes (in large part thanks to thibs) are better. It's not even up for debate (though i'm sure you'll try).

You still on that? LeBron even admitted that he's so obsessed with efficiency and getting the best possible shot for himself or a teammate that he overthinks the game at times and doesn't take what the defense gives him. Then came game 7. The end.

Yes, Boris diaws athleticism is what gave lebron problems. He had a great game 7, but they should have lost in 6 in part to how he was playing. They were giving him cushions every game, but he didnt believe in his jumper until the 4th of game 6 and all of game 7.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
The wizards were better with him playing than not. That alone means he wasn't a joke.

No, the whole thing was a joke. He supposedly came back to teach the younger players. What exactly did he teach Kwame Brown and Jahidi White? He hired a retread coach that served no purpose in the short or long term save for kissing his ass. They missed the playoffs both years at a time when the eastern conference was wet, sloppy diarrhea. '98 was perfect and how it should've ended.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
James harden averaged more FTA last year than Jordan did in every year but two. The nba has made it a wings era. Jordan, if he jumped into people after a pump fake which is now the thing to do, would easily average 12+ FTs a game. Even look at some of the wizards footage. He got a ton of people to jump at his pump fakes, but he didnt jump into them, he used it to create space and hit a jumpshot.

11-12 is a reasonable MAX estimate most years. This 15, 16, 18 and 20 free throws per game crap is hyperbole and embarrassing.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Yes, Boris diaws athleticism is what gave lebron problems. He had a great game 7, but they should have lost in 6 in part to how he was playing. They were giving him cushions every game, but he didnt believe in his jumper until the 4th of game 6 and all of game 7.

I guess will pretend he didn't have a triple double in game 1 and 33 points on 15/25 shooting in game 4? No, the Spurs team defense was a problem. Especially with Wade hobbled they consistently flooded whatever side of the court LeBron was on. Yes, they dared him at times to shoot. And if you watched his post game press conference after game 7, he admitted that he was overthinking. He said he looked at the stats and saw that he was one of the best mid-range shooters in the game and shot a career high from 3. He stopped thinking and you saw what happened. How did the Spurs counter? They didn't because there is no counter d when LeBron is hitting his jumper.