2013-2014 NHL thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
Yet one of the Leafs' players got suspended longer than Kessel did, simply because he left the bench to fight.

I guess entering the ice to fight is much worse than using your stick as a weapon with intent to injure on a defenseless player. Makes sense.

Leaving the bench is automatic. That makes sense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Horrific, start a fight then skate away slashing, come up again when the guy you initially engaged is already fighting/grappling and spear him.

Um, Scott started the fight both verbally and physically. He told him "You know I am gonna have to go after you" and he dropped his gloves.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
John Scott was not injured.

The best part of the video is Scott patting the linesman on the back, basically saying ok we're done.

When it comes to suspensions, it often seems that the law of the land is "no harm, no foul".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
Um, Scott started the fight both verbally and physically. He told him "You know I am gonna have to go after you" and he dropped his gloves.

Um no. It was clearly mutual which is why Scott dropped in the first place.

No way it was mutual. No chance Kessel wanted to drop the gloves with Scott.

Probably another case of Danica Patrick Syndrome. She would run her mouth and get in the face of guys because she knew they wouldnt do anything back. Kessel was running his mouth thinking Scott wouldnt go after him. Well turns out he did.

I think if Clarkson didnt come off the bench, Kessel would have been suspended for a handful of regular season games. But I think it being a major Canadian team, the league didnt want to handcuff them too much to start the season.

If I didnt need more reasons to dislike the Leaves.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
No way it was mutual. No chance Kessel wanted to drop the gloves with Scott.

Probably another case of Danica Patrick Syndrome. She would run her mouth and get in the face of guys because she knew they wouldnt do anything back. Kessel was running his mouth thinking Scott wouldnt go after him. Well turns out he did.

I think if Clarkson didnt come off the bench, Kessel would have been suspended for a handful of regular season games. But I think it being a major Canadian team, the league didnt want to handcuff them too much to start the season.

If I didnt need more reasons to dislike the Leaves.

I'm not sure anyone has and should never have that mentality with John Scott. John Scott would probably fight his grandmother if she looked at him wrong. I doubt Kessel was surprised that Scott wanted to drop the gloves.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
I guess we are just watching different videos. :huh

I agree with you. I think Scott told him he was going to go, and you can tell from Kessel's initial reaction of NOT dropping his gloves and skating away from him, he had no intention of fighting him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
He's mouthing off to him, gets right up next to him and Scott drops. Unless he was giving him a recipe for cookies he said something that made Scott think it was on.

Going to about the 1:30 mark, it is hard to see if Kessel said anything the first time they skate by each other as his head was away from the camera. Kessels head doesn't follow Scott the whole time like he is talking him, so it is maybe at best (he might have said something really quick, but it there wasn't time for much more than an F you). After he turns around to skate to his spot for the faceoff, he won't even look at Scott, and he isn't saying anything to him, as you can see his mouth in the camera shot. Scott on the other hand is talking to him starting at the skateback, and doesn't really stop. Kessel looks up and answers something as the puck is dropped and Scott is dropping his gloves.

Scott jumped Kessel, Kessel never said he wanted to fight. Scott said he was going to jump whoever was next to him, period. So I'm sure when Scott said that, Kessel said something, but it sure wasn't "sure thing, can't wait."

I actually had no problem with Kessel's first chop at his skate, it was the latter slashes that I had issue with.

Opening night hawks according to Jay Zawaski

Here's a look at the forward lines from this morning's practice :

Bryan Bickell - Jonathan Toews - Patrick Kane

Patrick Sharp - Michael Handzus - Marian Hossa

Brandon Saad - Andrew Shaw - Jimmy Hayes

Brandon Bollig - Marcus Kruger - Joakim Nordstrom

The defensive pairings will look something like this :

Brent Seabrook - Duncan Keith

Niklas Hjalmarsson - Johnny Oduya

Nick Leddy - Michal Rozsival

Goalies :

Corey Crawford

Nikolai Khabibulin

Bench : Ben Smith, Mike Kostka and Sheldon Brookbank

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
Opening night hawks according to Jay Zawaski

Here's a look at the forward lines from this morning's practice :

Bryan Bickell - Jonathan Toews - Patrick Kane

Patrick Sharp - Michael Handzus - Marian Hossa

Brandon Saad - Andrew Shaw - Jimmy Hayes

Brandon Bollig - Marcus Kruger - Joakim Nordstrom

The defensive pairings will look something like this :

Brent Seabrook - Duncan Keith

Niklas Hjalmarsson - Johnny Oduya

Nick Leddy - Michal Rozsival

Goalies :

Corey Crawford

Nikolai Khabibulin

Bench : Ben Smith, Mike Kostka and Sheldon Brookbank

So Pirri isn't even making the roster? Stupid fantasy hockey guides telling my Pirri was likely to nab the 2nd-line center job.