2013-2014 NHL thread

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 07:43 PM)
This is after they missed the playoffs, bought out Briere and Bryzgalov, then paid a fortune for Mark Streit and now Vinny.

Wow.

And they now have a ton of work left to do to get under the cap.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A huge part of managing the cap is doing the other parts of general management well. For instance, getting cheap production from your drafts -- see Saad, Brandon and Shaw, Andrew. You'll always be looking great in terms of cap space if you can habitually let guys walk when they first reach free agency and replace them with rookie contract guys.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:20 AM)
A huge part of managing the cap is doing the other parts of general management well. For instance, getting cheap production from your drafts -- see Saad, Brandon and Shaw, Andrew. You'll always be looking great in terms of cap space if you can habitually let guys walk when they first reach free agency and replace them with rookie contract guys.

who are worth a crap. Fortunately they've filled the gap with these guys. Looking forward to seeing what Pirri can do...it's his time. Same with Ben Smith and Hayes...seems they do a great job filling the holes. Like when Buff left...

While the long-term contracts on the previous CBA were definitely an unfair circumvention of the rules, the penalties that await if the players retire are even more unfair.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
While the long-term contracts on the previous CBA were definitely an unfair circumvention of the rules, the penalties that await if the players retire are even more unfair.

Agreed - since they were signed legally under a different set of rules.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)

Absolutely, talk about indian giving. That probably gives Hossa one, maybe two more years in Chicago before they have to buy him out to avoid any future cap penalties.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
2013 NHL All-Star first team:

C Crosby

LW Kunitz

RW Ovechkin

D Subban

D Suter

G Bobrovsky

Second team:

C Toews

LW Ovechkin

RW St. Louis

D Beauchemin

D Letang

G Lundqvist

That's not a misprint

but....what

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:57 PM)
Considering how many teams seem to have goalie issues, I'm surprised Emery isn't getting more outside interest.

Me too. Plus I really though the Hawks would use that position to save some money, and bring one of the kids along.

Yeah it did.

I guess player for player I'm not a fan of it. I think Seguin is a guy who can crack 40 goals a few times before its all said and done. But when you look at the cap its not really a bad deal. Got a player who will score 25-30 goals while making less and got rid of Peverley who is due 3.25M for each of the next 2 years. Now the B's have 9 million for free agency and another 4 million if they use the Savard inury exception. Plus they need to lock up Bergeron and Rask long term.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 07:15 PM)
Yeah it did.

I guess player for player I'm not a fan of it. I think Seguin is a guy who can crack 40 goals a few times before its all said and done. But when you look at the cap its not really a bad deal. Got a player who will score 25-30 goals while making less and got rid of Peverley who is due 3.25M for each of the next 2 years. Now the B's have 9 million for free agency and another 4 million if they use the Savard inury exception. Plus they need to lock up Bergeron and Rask long term.

Judging from the rumors around Boston, it sounds like Seguin has a little KANER in him and likes to have fun, that's a main reason the Bruins traded him.

More than a little Kaner, if you believe Deadspin. 24 hour security detail to make sure he didnt party

You can make fun of Kane for his party habits, but his famous pictures (except for the limo picture) were after the season was over.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 11:58 PM)
Ouch. Seems like a high price for a defenseman that Q downsized to about 5 minutes in the last few playoff games. I love Leddy, but Q doesn't seem to, so at $2.7 M, he better be getting ice time up there with Keith and Hjammer.

He was struggling a bit and Boston targeted him in game 4 & 6, so Q kept him off the ice. Kid is still only 22 so I'm not too concerned. He's so good moving the puck and at that number you can keep him around and figure out exactly what you have in him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
He was struggling a bit and Boston targeted him in game 4 & 6, so Q kept him off the ice. Kid is still only 22 so I'm not too concerned. He's so good moving the puck and at that number you can keep him around and figure out exactly what you have in him.

Agreed. I think we'll see him grow quite a bit into that new contract.