2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 7, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
Very interesting especially with the elbow concern. I guess he does not take that into consideration when ranking.

"I'll post something later about the decision that Houston has at #1, but it's fair to say the industry would have Rodon 2nd and Hoffman 3rd or 4th right now. Hoffman is expected to return not this weekend but next from elbow soreness and he could still make or lose millions based on how crisp he looks in those final few starts."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He doesn't have my guy Medeiros taken in the first 41, nor Gillaspie. Nice. I'd be happy with either.

I have to wonder if Kodi isn't on our radar, given our relative fearlessness of funky pitching mechanics.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 7, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
He doesn't have my guy Medeiros taken in the first 41, nor Gillaspie. Nice. I'd be happy with either.

I have to wonder if Kodi isn't on our radar, given our relative fearlessness of funky pitching mechanics.

Been on the Medeiros train for a while. Would love him at 44.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 7, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
Very interesting especially with the elbow concern. I guess he does not take that into consideration when ranking.

It comes down to what is wrong. If there is no structrual damage and it is a minor issue, I don't think it will impact his stock much at all. If there is structural damage and more to this, then I could see that being the case. However, at 100%, I wouldn't have a problem taking him #1 overall. I don't think we can go wrong with any of the top 4 guys (given what we know today). Only major things that could go wrong are injuries (they all have that risk; Hoffman has a known issue right now; Rodon with pitch count problems and the other guys...you are a pitcher so you never know) or signing problems (which really only exist with Rodon).

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 7, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Been on the Medeiros train for a while. Would love him at 44.

He also didn't have Mac Marshall taken, who I've seen much higher in other lists. Another high upside, HS lefty.

The big benefactor in this draft has to be Houston. We know they are willing to go underslot to get money to sign a later overslot pick, as evidence by their draft and sign of Correa a couple of years ago. Without a true #1 in the draft, they get to throw out lures to the agents to see who they can get for the best money, knowing that they could save a million or two at the top of the draft and use it later for a guy/guys who slip down the board.

Everyone else has to sit and wait, and potentially miss out on that type of a deal.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 2m

RHP Jeff Hoffman of @ECUBaseball will have Tommy John surgery next week. Had been a probable top 4 pick in the draft before injury.

Wow. Ok well cross him off the list.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 7, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 2m

RHP Jeff Hoffman of @ECUBaseball will have Tommy John surgery next week. Had been a probable top 4 pick in the draft before injury.

Sucks for the Cubs, really. It was debatable if he was in the top tier with Rodon, Kolek and Aiken. Well, your Sox Draft pick is almost assuredly is now one of those three.

The surgery is scheduled for next week with Dr. Andrews. Early indications show that Hoffman is still being considered by teams (who already have knowledge of the situation) in first 5-10 picks.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=9845

Edited by maggsmaggs

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 2m

He's only a junior, so he can go back, but I would still consider drafting him late in hopes of signing him.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 7, 2014 -> 07:24 PM)
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 2m

Wow. Feel bad for him... that sucks big time.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 2m

Yikes. Well what does that mean for him though? Will he go back to school? Seems to me that he'd want to go pro anyway. Could the Sox take him in the 2nd round? Later than that?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 7, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
He's only a junior, so he can go back, but I would still consider drafting him late in hopes of signing him.

He is not going to pitch next season though, so it would be in his best interest to leave now and get better medical treatment from ML teams.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 2m

Oh damn. That sucks for the kid. What horrible timing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 7, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
That stinks. If he is around in the 2nd round, I'd draft him. Aiken / Kolek / Rodon. No other options.

Sounds like it. Cubs will have to go with Alex Jackson most likely at #4 unless they take SS Nick Gordon in front of Minnesota

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 7, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
Slightly concerned that this increases Rodon's leverage at #3.

He doesn't have any leverage. He signs at slot or slightly over or he goes back to NC State. That's the deal.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 7, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
He doesn't have any leverage. He signs at slot or slightly over or he goes back to NC State. That's the deal.

What he means is now Boras can advertise Rodon as far and away the best college pitcher available. He can let it be known he isn't cutting any deals, if Houston and Miami pass on Rodon and Boras sees we have a choice of Rodon or somebody like Beede or Nola, he will demand more in negotiations because Rodon is clearly a better prospect than what is available at the next pick.

Why can't the Sox draft him?

Long term does this really change anything? He most likely wasn't going to pitch after the college season which ends in a few weeks. He will be back pitching by June of next year. He has no leverage and unless he will red shirt next year and stay another, college is done.

Grab him at three for well under slot money and go from there.

He sounds ideal for the cubs actually at 4.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 7, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
What he means is now Boras can advertise Rodon as far and away the best college pitcher available. He can let it be known he isn't cutting any deals, if Houston and Miami pass on Rodon and Boras sees we have a choice of Rodon or somebody like Beede or Nola, he will demand more in negotiations because Rodon is clearly a better prospect than what is available at the next pick.

Once the pick is made none of that matters. It's either the money on the table or back to school. And just to say it again...if he wants top of the draft money, every pick he falls is another $1 million less he could get.