2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
Last 5 #3 picks:

2013 - Jonathan Gray

2012 - Mike Zunino

2011 - Trevor Bauer

2010 - Manny Machado

2009 - Donovan Tate

So....

Two appear to be busts, one is elite, and the last two are too early to tell though Zunino is moving toward the bust column, but still has a lot of time to recover. After Rodon and Hoffman, there aren't any guys that you can look at and know a guy is a MLB'er. If the Sox miss out on those two, I am all for them saving money in the first to spread out on guys throughout the draft that slide, like they did with Michaleski last year. Of course another guy could have a great year and vault himself into the conversation, but at this point, I dont see that can't miss guy.

If those two are gone, I'm taking Trea Turner. Not a doubt in my mind.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
+1, especially given the White Sox lack of trust in high school pitching (at least, according to Hawk and Stone)

Exactly. Turner is off to a fast start this season batting 8/16 (all singles), 4 RBIs, 2 BBs, 0 K's, 5-5 in stolen bases and has a 1000 Fielding % through 4 games.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
Exactly. Turner is off to a fast start this season batting 8/16 (all singles), 4 RBIs, 2 BBs, 0 K's, 5-5 in stolen bases and has a 1000 Fielding % through 4 games.

I am not as sold on Turner as a lot are around here. He reminds me too much of Billy Hamilton. He is bunched up in a tier with Jackson, Kolek, Newomb, Beede and Aiken. I call all six and see who will sign for the best value and use the extra money on a guy in the second round who slid, perhaps a Gatewood, Touissant, or Ortiz.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
It really is tough to say at this point, there is some depth, probably 10 or so guys that could end up in a major league rotation at some point.

Just off the top of your head, how does the Sox system compare to the rest of MLB when it comes to SP prospects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
The elite upside pitcher will be in the system in June. That number three pick in the draft is the future #2 to Chris Sale.

Future #3 after Sale and Danish is what you meant to say. :D Tyler will be considered elite in...oh, about 90 days from now.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Brandon Finnegan of TCU with another dominating start: 7IP, 6 hits, 0 ER, 0BB/9K

Finnegan is real interesting. Plus fastball (93-95, 70 pitch according to MLB Pipeline), slider (60 pitch according to MLB) and developing change. Granted the competition is not the greatest so far and its real early, but you gotta love the Ks and low BB totals.

Looking at the system as a whole I think that the biggest need is another dominant pitcher to pair with Chris Sale and I am hoping that guy is Tyler Kolek (Hoffman would be good too), I know he is a HS pitcher but with stuff that good he might be able to rise through the system quickly (2-3yrs), plus he has a tremendous ceiling and he fits the power pitcher profile that I love.

I would still not be mad if they drafted a position player at #3 because the name of the game is drafting the best player available and if the guys in charge feel like the BPA is a position player so be it.

*****A HS player that everyone should be following is Daz Cameron. I am hoping that he could be the silver lining of this season for the Sox (Im predicting 70-92 for the season)*****

Edited by Joshua Strong

-

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)
Just off the top of your head, how does the Sox system compare to the rest of MLB when it comes to SP prospects.

I would say they are in the 8-12 range. They have a lot of big league pitchers, but nothing to speak of as far as elite pitching prospects go. I don't think this draft does much to address that either, because if the Sox land Hoffman or Rodon, they will not be on the farm for very long. I could see either on the Sale plan and finish the season in the bullpen.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 08:21 PM)
I wouldn't be so quick to look at Hoffman and Turner as if they will be the #2 and #3 options come June. I do think Hoffman will be a top 5 pick but I am not so sure about Turner. Kolek is pretty close to a surefire top 5 pick to me and I can see him hopping Turner at some point in the mock draft rankings.

Kolek is a typical Marlins pick, they love upside high school players.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
Kolek is a typical Marlins pick, they love upside high school players.

That body type scares me. 6'5'', 250 at 18 years old? I suppose it's the same concerns for a Chris Sale type of build, but at least he was a proven college pitcher.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
Last 5 #3 picks:

2013 - Jonathan Gray

2012 - Mike Zunino

2011 - Trevor Bauer

2010 - Manny Machado

2009 - Donovan Tate

So....

Two appear to be busts, one is elite, and the last two are too early to tell though Zunino is moving toward the bust column, but still has a lot of time to recover. After Rodon and Hoffman, there aren't any guys that you can look at and know a guy is a MLB'er. If the Sox miss out on those two, I am all for them saving money in the first to spread out on guys throughout the draft that slide, like they did with Michaleski last year. Of course another guy could have a great year and vault himself into the conversation, but at this point, I dont see that can't miss guy.

I don't know how you can say there are 2 busts from this group with Zunino on his way. Bauer was the 14th or 17th ranked prospect LAST YEAR, so to say he's a bust is incredibly premature to say the least. Zunino was drafted a year and a half ago and he's already in the majors. Saying he's even on his way to being a bust is absurd too.

The only guy you can say for sure has busted is Tate, and that's been injuries, plus I recall some people suggesting that was a reach at 3 too.