White Sox Winner !

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
Not to be a smart aleck, but this is Adam Dunn we're talking about. Why pitch around him in any circumstance despite his nice total of bombs?

Don't want this topic to get lost in the game thread so I'll move it over here.

Perhaps because Adam Dunn is one of the best hitters in baseball this past month. I'm sure it's been pointed out over and over again by other posters but I haven't seen them so I'll reiterate.

Adam Dunn over the last month is batting .274, .402 obp, an ops near of .991, with 10 bombs and 24 driven in. Those 10 hrs and 24 rbis are good for 3rd in the majors in both categories. Ya, those stats blew my mind too.

If I were the Yankees I'd be asking about him. They aren't going to win anything with Kronk and Lyle Overbay as their 1b/DH combo. Both those guys are gone next year and you know they have the money to pay him.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
Don't want this topic to get lost in the game thread so I'll move it over here.

Perhaps because Adam Dunn is one of the best hitters in baseball this past month. I'm sure it's been pointed out over and over again by other posters but I haven't seen them so I'll reiterate.

Adam Dunn over the last month is batting .274, .402 obp, an ops near of .991, with 10 bombs and 24 driven in. Those 10 hrs and 24 rbis are good for 3rd in the majors in both categories. Ya, those stats blew my mind too.

If I were the Yankees I'd be asking about him. They aren't going to win anything with Kronk and Lyle Overbay as their 1b/DH combo. Both those guys are gone next year and you know they have the money to pay him.

I've posted it in the Adam Dunn thread . :) But yes he's been much better. And Orioles DH's haven't been so good either.

Also hold your breathe for this according to CSN : After the game, Ventura said reliever Jesse Crain didn’t pitch in the eighth inning because of tightness in his right shoulder.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 05:06 AM)
I've posted it in the Adam Dunn thread . :) But yes he's been much better. And Orioles DH's haven't been so good either.

Also hold your breathe for this according to CSN : After the game, Ventura said reliever Jesse Crain didn't pitch in the eighth inning because of tightness in his right shoulder.

I'm telling you, Crain is not going to bring much at all. He's in his last year of a contract and yes, he does get hurt, and he's aging. What is everybody realistically expecting? I'd say one average prospect and cash. Kudos to Dunn for that month just completed. He does deserve credit. But any team trading for him also is getting Mr. Whiff. Dunn suddenly is not going to be great.A team should not risk much for him.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:55 PM)
I'm telling you, Crain is not going to bring much at all. He's in his last year of a contract and yes, he does get hurt, and he's aging. What is everybody realistically expecting? I'd say one average prospect and cash. Kudos to Dunn for that month just completed. He does deserve credit. But any team trading for him also is getting Mr. Whiff. Dunn suddenly is not going to be great.A team should not risk much for him.

Just dumping some of that salary would help. Something for Crain is better than nothing considering the Sox would be getting offers from quite a few teams . A best offer is better than no offers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:55 AM)

He's not aging, he's just getting overused because he's the most reliable bullpen arm.

Look at how well Dotel pitched with other teams after he left Chicago, or how well Joaquin Benoit's doing in the 2nd half of his career as a reliever, after starting out in the rotation in Texas. Tons of relievers do better in their 30's. Look at Neal Cotts making a comeback with the Rangers, or Jason Grilli with the Pirates.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:07 PM)
I hope Danks shows us this year that we will be seeing the old John Danks next year. I really don't doubt that "old" John Danks will be back. Great to see the velo up and change was something else today.

Beckham and Gillaspie were great. Dunn did his thing. Great considering all three are more likely to be back for next year.

I hope Danks goes on a tear the next few weeks and some team gets foolish and nervous and offers Hahn a nice package of prospects for him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 01:55 AM)

For comparisons sake Mark Reynolds, who the year before being traded never had a month like Adam is having right now, got a return of 2 major league relievers. Now I know Reynolds wasn't making the money Dunn is but if I'm a team like the Yankees I would certainly take on that contract. This past month has been great for Adam, I think he could really help a team out.

I think you underestimate the value of good relief pitching. Every year a reliever gets dealt for a good return. Mike Adams a few years ago got the Padres Joe Wieland who at the time had an era under 2 in 20 starts split between A+/AA and Robbie Erlin who was also a damn good starter between A-AA to the tune of a 2.50 era, a whip below 1 and 279 ks in his last 261 innings. Both players have made starts in the big leagues since.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
For comparisons sake Mark Reynolds, who the year before being traded never had a month like Adam is having right now, got a return of 2 major league relievers. Now I know Reynolds wasn't making the money Dunn is but if I'm a team like the Yankees I would certainly take on that contract. This past month has been great for Adam, I think he could really help a team out.

I think you underestimate the value of good relief pitching. Every year a reliever gets dealt for a good return. Mike Adams a few years ago got the Padres Joe Wieland who at the time had an era under 2 in 20 starts split between A+/AA and Robbie Erlin who was also a damn good starter between A-AA to the tune of a 2.50 era, a whip below 1 and 279 ks in his last 261 innings. Both players have made starts in the big leagues since.

The Orioles traded Koji Uehara to the Rangers too. Got some dude named Chris Davis in return.

Those guys all had an additional year, but teams will give up good prospects for good relievers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
The Orioles traded Koji Uehara to the Rangers too. Got some dude named Chris Davis in return.

Those guys all had an additional year, but teams will give up good prospects for good relievers.

Even good relievers who are about to become free agents?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell says hello, Brian Giles for Ricardo Rincon, Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz, etc.

1990, 1998 and 1987 called and said they were bad trades. MLB traderumors has a list of prospects that were moved last deadline. One guy is making an impact and that was for Greinke, a guy who would at least net the other team a draft pick which Crain won't.

The great return was when Baltimore got Davis and Hunter. But they weren't for a 2 month rental, and let's face it, No one saw this current performance as a possibility for Davis, although he had been highly touted.